The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 11, 2006, 09:50 PM   #51
DAVID NANCARROW

I totally agree with you, johnbt. Some people are going to fiddle with those screws "because they are there." It's not rocket science to adjust a remington trigger, but I have a long background as a mechanic and a machinist, and I have adjusted/taken apart/put back together mechanisms much more complicated.

Just as I will not put a wrench on a customers vehicle without a proper manual, before I lifted a single screwdriver, I bought a book authored by Frank De Haas. It described in detail how to adjust the trigger, what screws do what adjustment, and generally how to set it up. The instructions were easy for me to follow.

He wisely recommends slamming the bolt home smartly several times after making any adjustments to the trigger-I'm so paranoid that in addition I slammed the butt of the rifle on the ground HARD with the rifle cocked just to make certain it could not be bumped off.

I adjusted my first remington trigger nearly 20 years ago and it has held, as has every one I have touched since. I cannot tell you what the pull weight is because I do not have a scale, but all I was looking for was a bit cleaner pull-the factory set up was hard enough that I could tell the difference off the sandbags.

Having said all that, you really do not know who you are dealing with on the net or what their capabilities are mechanically.
Old August 12, 2006, 11:13 AM   #52
Hunter Customs

As much as I've tried to discontinue doing long gun work, being in rural Missouri I still to do some for neighbors and friends. Low and behold in through the shop door comes a gentleman with a Remington 700 rifle wanting a trigger job.
So I told the gentleman to put the rifle in the rack and that when the planets and moons are aligned, the red gods are smiling upon me and the mighty Thor with his amazing hammer stands guard over me I'll attempt to do this complicated feat.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old August 13, 2006, 02:44 PM   #53
Harry Bonar

trigger

Hunter Customs:
I love that Bob!
Harry B.