The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 21, 2023, 12:02 AM   #126
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So, I'm not sure you will get them locked up without a medical diagnosis from a mental health type.
I think you're being a little fixated on the mental health diagnosis as the only thing that will get them locked up. It's not.

In general terms, the court doesn't have to find them "nuts" in order to lock them up, it has to find them "dangerous" that part doesn't matter if they are nuts, or not.

Dangerous nuts get committed. Dangerous people who aren't ruled to be nuts get arrested. People who are neither get to go home. And then work on who owes them what for the crap they had to go through...

Ok, so this is an ideal and we're not going to get 100% proper performance, but isn't it what we should strive for??
Old April 21, 2023, 09:24 AM   #127
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
I think you're being a little fixated on the mental health diagnosis as the only thing that will get them locked up. It's not.
Mileage may vary state to state.

Quote:
Dangerous nuts get committed.
Not necessarily. I've seen it for mental incompetence and not being able to function in society. Personal experience.

Quote:
Dangerous people who aren't ruled to be nuts get arrested.
Not if they commit no crime.

Quote:
we're not going to get 100% proper performance, but isn't it what we should strive for??
Indeed. My reason for posting. Good discussion.