The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 25, 2023, 03:59 PM   #1
jski

Savage 1911 ?

I know there's a lot to unpack with this question BUT how does Savage's offering in this class (1911s) compare with Colt's? From S&W's? From Ruger's ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage1911.jpg (210.0 KB, 147 views)
Old May 25, 2023, 04:00 PM   #2
TunnelRat

For me it’s a pretty high price for a company new to 1911s, at least in recent memory.
Old May 25, 2023, 04:07 PM   #3
MarkCO

The feature set looks good, and if they are reliable, that is a good price point.

Colt holds a mystique, and high price that I have never really been interested in, but no doubt the three interations have produced very good pistols. S&W is a bit meh, but I don't think that they are good enough to get one with the other choices on the market. When it comes to "value" production 1911s, Bul, Ruger and Dan Wesson usually get my suggestions based on price point and features.

If Savage really makes it (and not farmed out like many other companies) and they prove reliable in a few years, I might consider one.
Old May 25, 2023, 04:26 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

based on the picture, is has most of the currently popular "bells & whistles" but fortunately no rails. For me. no rails is a plus. The "speedbump" and beavertail grip safety is a minus, for me, personally, and the ambi safety is a "meh"..for me. Don't care for the grips shown, either. Again, just personal preference.

Here's a question, does the gun take "standard" grips, or "proprietary" grips??

My son has one of the S&W 1911 pattern guns, and it won't take regular grips. The spacing of the grip screws is just enough "off" from USGI /standard Colt measurements that regular grips won't fit, and the gun must wear either S&W grips, or grips made for that S&W model gun.

The MSRP seems a bit steep, but then, today, everything is, and MRSP is hardly the set in stone price these days.
Old May 25, 2023, 05:05 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

IMHO, much too new to have established a track record. I would wait.

Yes, I know Savage is an established company. So is Sig Sauer, and when Sig introduced a 1911 it was an unmitigated disaster. They tried tio blame it on Caspian (who made Sig's first generation slides and frames), but the second generation weren't much better. (And, curiously, when Caspian sold off the undelivered Sig frames and slides, none of Caspian's customers had any problem making them run.)
Jeepaholic
Old May 25, 2023, 05:24 PM   #6
ballardw

If Savage had made an updated version, materials mostly, of the guns submitted to compete with the Colt in the trials that lead to the 1911 I would be all over one. Not special enough to "just another 1911" to the stable.

I have a Savage .32 that could use a big brother...
Old May 26, 2023, 11:21 AM   #7
JKP

There are quite a few really nice 1911s out there for that price. I'll pass.
Old May 27, 2023, 07:17 AM   #8
BarryLee

I love 1911s, but still a little amazed that the platform is still so popular. Maybe it is the long association with the US Milittary, frequent use in the entertainment industry or maybe John Browning just designed the perfect handgun. I doubt I'll buy one from savage, but this just builds on the popularity of a classic.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; May 28, 2023 at 05:00 AM.
Old May 27, 2023, 10:24 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Question is... where is it made? Does Savage actually make it? Or is it Turkish with Savage branding?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 27, 2023, 04:57 PM   #10
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
Question is... where is it made? Does Savage actually make it? Or is it Turkish with Savage branding?
If it's the latter I'd have far more faith in it's overall quality.
Old May 28, 2023, 04:11 PM   #11
KyJim

Quote:
IMHO, much too new to have established a track record. I would wait.

Yes, I know Savage is an established company. So is Sig Sauer, and when Sig introduced a 1911 it was an unmitigated disaster. They tried tio blame it on Caspian (who made Sig's first generation slides and frames), but the second generation weren't much better. (And, curiously, when Caspian sold off the undelivered Sig frames and slides, none of Caspian's customers had any problem making them run.)
I had an early Sig. Turns out that the barrel had been cut the wrong way--against the grain instead of with it. They installed a new barrel but it was a drop-in and has never shot as well as it did with the defective barrel. There was something else that was wrong, but I can't remember what it was. That experience helped me avoid doing beta testing of guns.

Still have the gun, but I haven't shot it in ages.
Old June 17, 2023, 10:53 AM   #12
Drm50

I only keep older Colts. On trades recently got a couple Ruger SR-1911s. A .45 & 10mm, these MSRP for $1200+ but can be found new $900- $1000 range. I was impressed with them….at the $900+ range. Then take in to consideration Springfield Armory 1911s starting in $600 range. Proven reliability and function. What do this Savage have to put it up in top drawer range. I would say they will eventually be sold at a price to compete with Ruger SR1911s or less. Everybody and their brother is stamping out 1911s. How many of these are coming out of same factory with different brands?