The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 11, 2021, 09:13 AM   #26
Moonglum

I'm definitely not an impulse buyer on guns. I haven't bought a gun in 4 years. I do a lot of research before I buy.

I used to be an impulse buyer of holsters but I ended up with a lot of Crappy holsters and learned my lesson. I have five handguns and three of them are in Kramer Leather. The other two will be if I can talk SWMBO into it.
Old June 11, 2021, 10:41 PM   #27
lefteye

I have never been an impulse buyer about any firearms or products associated with firearms. As a result I have never sold a firearm or any related product.
Old June 12, 2021, 12:07 PM   #28
dyl

I'm not. I'd love to be able to be an impulse handgun buyer with enough money, time, space. I get intrigued by different designs and sometimes want to see what the hype is about and what difference it makes to the user.

If I did impulse buy every new pistol that comes out, I believe I'd see that the latest models are not much different than the last. That another year improving my skills with what I do have would grant me better performance than having to switch to a new gun.

I also tend to keep what I have so I'd end up with some pistols that are sort of optimized for my dimensions. Sort of.

So what I end up doing most of the time is to have 1 of each category / type that catches my eye if just for academic purposes. 1 black powder revolver. 1 Glock, 1 S&W M&P, 1 large frame S&W revolver, a 1911, 1 Sig P226, 1 CZ, and for pocket pistols (what I carry) I have a few. Usually that satisfies my curiosity and I feel like I have learned something that I can generalize for each category, and appreciate the difference in design and feel to the user.
Old June 13, 2021, 09:59 AM   #29
Drm50

I will buy any top shelf firearm that is priced low enough it is a steal. Besides price it has to have a market. I don’t use a book, I know what I will pay. Holsters and accessories I hardly ever buy new. I let the impulse buyers get stuff and then sell for half what they got in them.
I buy stuff I don’t personally want, flip it to finance stuff I do want. I’m 71, been doing it since I was a kid. The guns I’ve owned go way into thousands. The guns I’ve bought new probably less than 100.
I’m selling out now due to health and age. The most guns I ever accumulated at one time was 385. Since I can’t do much other than some target shooting, I’m still wheeling and dealing.
Old June 13, 2021, 10:52 AM   #30
John D

Got lucky with my Bianchi leather holster for my model 66 snubbie; it's used daily around my ranch. Did a LOT of research on IWB holsters before settling on an Alien Gear setup for my Shield. Both work great! (I do have a couple of nylon holsters that were acquired early in my gun career that aren't really good for much of anything)
Old June 15, 2021, 05:58 AM   #31
Rob228

I have identical holsters for my Glock 19, Sig 938 and Shadow Systems Glock clone, once I find a holster I like I stick with it. I can't really say I've ever bought a holster on impulse.