The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old April 20, 2002, 07:46 PM   #1
Skorzeny

Japanese Computer Is World's Fastest, as U.S. Falls Back

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/20/te...3d1573c4d05ded

What say you? Supposedly, the Japanese use the super computer for "weather research" while we do "weapons research" with ours.

Skorzeny
Old April 20, 2002, 07:56 PM   #2
glock glockler

Ok, that pisses me off. I dont care what it is but we'd better do whatever it takes to be #1 again.
Old April 20, 2002, 08:13 PM   #3
agricola

but can you play operation flashpoint on it?
Old April 20, 2002, 08:22 PM   #4
SpyGuy

Quote:
the Japanese use the super computer for "weather research" while we do "weapons research" with ours
Your implication being that the meek, peaceful, non-aggessive Japanese are superior to us ugly, imperialistic, aggressive Americans? Get a life and review history--and I'm not taking about that revisionist crap they dish up in the state-run indoctrination camps that pass for public schools, or in Hollyweird movies, or in leftist propaganda rags such as the NY Times. :barf:

The Japanese don't have to do weapons research because we, the United States, are pledged to defend them. One of the reasons the Japanese economy has been so strong over the past several decades is because they haven't had to worry about building--or paying for--a credible national defense ever since we kicked their asses in WWII. (Don't get me wrong, I have no hatred for the Japanese people or the country of Japan. But let's tell it like it is.)

And as you try to extend your intellectual horizons beyond the range of your rose-colored spectacles, perhaps you will begin to realize the tremendous military applications of accurate weather prediction and/or weather manipulation.

"The enemies outside the US are dangerous. But those within are even more so!"
- SpyGuy
Old April 20, 2002, 08:43 PM   #5
PJ11B3VF7

SpyGuy

I believe that Skorzeny is being a "tad" sarcastic.

As far as the military applications of accurate weather prediction are concerned I agree wholeheartedly.

P.S. Is there anyone on TFL that actually believes everything the media says?
When you send a man out with a gun, you create a policymaker. When his ass is on the line, he will do whatever he needs to do. And if the implications of that bother you, the time to do something about it is before you decide to send him out.

David Drake

It's 4V now
Old April 20, 2002, 08:49 PM   #6
MP Freeman

Good, I love to hear about competitions like this. Just wish it were between private industry instead of filthy tax run governments. It does not really suprise me that Japan would come up with this biggen. Now if these big computers had a market viability....we'd kick their butts. But nobody buys these things but governments.....
Old April 20, 2002, 08:54 PM   #7
SpyGuy

Quote:
Is there anyone on TFL that actually believes everything the media says?
Is there anyone on TFL that actually believes anything the media says?

- SpyGuy
Old April 20, 2002, 08:55 PM   #8
Benjamin

Interesting. So, is the computer going to aid them in creating Godzilla in some manner, or does it get its own robotic body such that it can destroy Tokyo in and of itself?
Old April 20, 2002, 09:22 PM   #9
PJ11B3VF7

Well,

you know, there are the sports scores, and the lottery numbers, uhhhh and .....
When you send a man out with a gun, you create a policymaker. When his ass is on the line, he will do whatever he needs to do. And if the implications of that bother you, the time to do something about it is before you decide to send him out.

David Drake

It's 4V now
Old April 20, 2002, 09:23 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

How funny...

I was just watching Terminator...

Cyberdyne Skynet, anyone?

It doesn't feel pain, pity, or remorse! It just plays chess!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 20, 2002, 09:59 PM   #11
JimmyDee

Don't get too excited about the technology. Note that, in the text, the machine is described as a "massively parallel" vector processor. Ponder this: are ten cars, welded together side by side, travelling at 10MPH, as fast as a single car travelling 100MPH? Well, the computer they're describing here is like the 10 car rig. It's a design suitable for some analysis and modeling (like weather, where models deal with thousands of thousands of observation and forecast points) but, as was mentioned, US interest in such designs has diminished in recent years, partly because it's difficult to work with these machines.

The remark about peace-loving Japanese is exactly what they would like us to believe...
Old April 20, 2002, 09:59 PM   #12
KSFreeman

Yeah, but even the Japanese ubercomputer cannot get the weather correct. Snow? In July?

This is an easy problem to fix. We send MPFreeman and KSFreeman over to Japan in a luxury cruise ship with 750K in cash and Matt's electrical inganeer fix-it box that he carries in the back of his mini-van.

Once in Japan, after getting KSFreeman out of the sushi bar, Kirk runs down the street screaming "Godzilla" and Matt sneaks into the control room and blows up the generator. By the time they get it back on line, the Purdue wing of TFL has graduated and made all kinds of advancements to the US ubercomputers (which are quickly sold to the Germans).
Old April 20, 2002, 11:03 PM   #13
ronin308

Quote:
...the Purdue Wing of TFL...
Old April 20, 2002, 11:19 PM   #14
USGuns

Just a matter of time...

You nailed it SpyGuy.
Besides, the Japanese economy is a house of cards.

We'll pass them again, it's all just a matter of when someone here is willing to cough up the cash.
Old April 20, 2002, 11:29 PM   #15
DaveK

The Japanese are also making those cute little robots...
Old April 20, 2002, 11:34 PM   #16
SpyGuy

Quote:
the US ubercomputers (which are quickly sold to the Germans).
Or the People's Republic of China (courtesy of Clinton, Feinstein, et al.).

- SpyGuy
Old April 21, 2002, 02:00 AM   #17
croyance

Considering that the Japanese have a breeder reactor to generate electricity it is a silly facade to say that they do not have a nuclear weapons program.
But if our research programs and companies will not do what it takes to be the best, then it is our own fault that we do not have the best computers. Don't blame others for doing better. It is their right and perogative to try to do better.
As for Japan having a millitary, the other countries in that part of the world would strongly object. Other people do not have the short memories that Americans do. As an example, a few years ago there were UN observers in Cambodia monitoring elections. They had to pull out the Japanese observers because shots would come out of the jungle into their general vicinity and nobody else's.
Old April 21, 2002, 06:44 AM   #18
Kaboom

Would it be fast enough to tell you the bullet velocity before you shot the chrony screen?
Old April 21, 2002, 04:03 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

Has anyone actually been paying attention to what the Japanese economy has been doing over the past several years?

Two clue words...

Sucking...

Ass...

Old April 21, 2002, 07:44 PM   #20
Jim March

In software and Operating System development, the Japanese are WAY behind.

Anybody with more money than brains can wire up a box with 10,000 Pentium4 chips and call it "the world's fastest computer" - but programming the damned thing is another matter entirely.

Nobody's got real "massively parallel machines" working at anywhere near full potential. I'd be willing to bet the Japanese ain't there yet either.
Old April 21, 2002, 08:30 PM   #21
John/az2

I thought 100 computer running Linux and linked together could do the same thing...

As for the Japanese economy being a house of cards... aren't they just modeling themselves after us?
Old April 21, 2002, 08:36 PM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

"As for the Japanese economy being a house of cards... aren't they just modeling themselves after us?"

No, there are significant and critical differences between the American and Japanese economies and how they are structured and controlled.

Until the recent slowdown, the American economy was booming.

The Japanese economy remains in a virtual limbo, pretty much where it's been for going on 10 years now. Japanese banks made risky real estate (and other) loans to a level that really was unimaginable in the United States, and that caused quite a bit of the floor to drop out of their economy. Problem is, they've yet to recover.

After less than 2 years since the dotbomb shake out the American economy is showing positive signs of recovery.

Old April 21, 2002, 08:49 PM   #23
John/az2

I guess I was saying that tongue-in-cheek. I have little faith in our economy since we left the gold standard and started dealing in funny money.
Old April 21, 2002, 09:41 PM   #24
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

John/az2,

The problem with Japan's economy is that, right about the time Crichton was scaring everyone's pants off with Rising Sun, their banks started to believe their own hype. They began plowing money into "trophy real estate" everywhere as though it were the Ginza. The Japanese stock market, representing shares of companies that had been making dumb real-estate buys all over the Pacific Rim, in countries whose economies were now in free fall, suddenly cratered. In response, the Yen took a swan dive from the nosebleed heights it had attained to a much more realistic level. This made the major Japanese banks suddenly leery about lending anyone anything unless it was a rock-solid 100% sure thing, and the mighty Japanese economy suddenly levelled out, where it has remained since.

Re: the gold standard. This is a Very Good Thingtm for pre- and early-industrial economies, where the economy is based on scarceness but it ignores the fact that in late-industrial and technological economies, wealth is not a fixed amount (like a gold reserve is) but can be constantly increased by making and/or inventing new goods and services. Simply put, a gold standard limits the total value of your economy to how much pretty, shiny yellow metal is sitting in a room somewhere. Nowadays we have better uses for that gold in microelectronics and space exploration, f'rinstance. There comes a time when mankind needs to stop basing his economy on the same stuff primitive agrarian societies would bury with their kings because it looked pretty.
Old April 21, 2002, 11:06 PM   #25
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I'm no expert on economics, but doesn't the Japanese Government frequently bail out failing companies? That, I would think, would do something "artificial" and "unhealthy" to their stock market, no?
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10