The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old August 19, 2017, 06:17 AM   #1
wileybelch

Google Chrome will not retrieve The Firing Line

I have Google Chrome (version 49.0.2623.112 m) running on Windows XP. It will not retrieve search items from The Firing Line site (gives an error message). When I run FireFox, Google searches return all TFL requests flawlessly. Is this a Windows XP problem or the Chrome vs Firefox browser? Can I fix something so that I can visit The Firing Line from Chrome rather than open another browser?
Old August 19, 2017, 06:45 AM   #2
Skadoosh

I am using Google Chrome right now to view this thread.
Old August 19, 2017, 07:42 AM   #3
FITASC

Firefox has been my go-to for a LONG time with very little issues.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 19, 2017, 07:52 AM   #4
ammo.crafter

Browser

Switch to Fire Fox.
Old August 19, 2017, 08:12 AM   #5
Prndll

If you're going to use XP then I would recommend removing Chrome from the machine completely. Use Firefox.
Old August 19, 2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

What he said ^^
Old August 19, 2017, 01:54 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Probably not a great idea to be accessing the internet on a machine running XP since it's no longer receiving security updates from Microsoft.
Old August 21, 2017, 11:25 AM   #8
spacemanspiff

This is how Skynet gets its foothold!
Old August 21, 2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

I'm using Chrome under Linux right now without issue. Could you post the error messages?
Old August 21, 2017, 12:44 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

But Linux is not Windows XP.
Old August 21, 2017, 05:17 PM   #11
Prndll

Chrome will work with this site.

The problem is not Chrome. The problem is not XP, The problem is not Linux.

The problem is making Chrome operate properly under XP, which it wont as Google has determined XP is no longer worthy.

As previously stated; if your going to use XP then remove Chrome and use Firefox. Then just kick back, relax, and enjoy TFL.
Old August 21, 2017, 06:25 PM   #12
zipspyder

Just a little friendly advice as a Network Administrator I can definitely say Windows XP is the problem. You should not use it period. If you think you are protected you are not.
Old August 21, 2017, 07:24 PM   #13
JWT

Works fine on my iPad
Old August 22, 2017, 09:12 AM   #14
wileybelch

Tom Servo
here is the error message
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
I have searched this message using Google and tried numerous 'fixes' to this message: NON OF THEM WORKED
Since TFL works flawlessly in Safari and Firefox, I thought the designers of TFL might understand this error message and address it.
I refuse to purchase another Microsoft machine to perform routine Internet chores that XP does just fine. In my part of rural Missouri we're lucky to get 1.5M internet speed. I don't need 30M to play games. I just want to communicate with the TFL community.
Note: I used Internet Explorer for years with no problems.
Old August 22, 2017, 01:42 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
From that, the problem is with your security certificates. Chrome expects TLS 1.3 or higher. Windows XP never upgraded to that.

I'm surprised this is the only website giving that error. You should be seeing it on all sorts of pages.
Old August 22, 2017, 04:26 PM   #16
Mal H
Staff

Does Chrome Ver 49.0.2623 expect TLS 1.3?
I suspect it is an SSL/TLS compatibility problem, but I have no real knowledge in that area.

wileybelch - you should read tyme's sticky thread here: **Web and Browser Security**

Pay close attention to the "Browsers" section and what he says about Win XP.
Old August 22, 2017, 11:34 PM   #17
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Since TFL works flawlessly in Safari and Firefox, I thought the designers of TFL might understand this error message and address it.
The problem is an incompatibility between the obsolete operating system on your computer and the browser you are using on your computer. Both of those things are within your control but are not within the control of TFL.
Quote:
I refuse to purchase another Microsoft machine to perform routine Internet chores that XP does just fine.
XP does not actually do anything on the internet well any longer because it is no longer receiving security updates from Microsoft. It may appear that everything is fine, but it is roughly equivalent to leaving the doors of a car unlocked every day when it is parked in the driveway or in the parking lot at work or at a store. It may not get stolen the first day, or even for many months, but it's a very real risk.
Old August 23, 2017, 03:35 AM   #18
Prndll

The certificate error is coming from comodo/amazon which TFL uses. Not from TFL itself. I am also surprised that the error message isn't seen more often. Pulling up this website means more than just pulling up this site. Tapatalk is also used here. Along with other things.

The bottom line here is change your browser or change your OS. If your going to continue using XP then you must take full and complete responsibility for it. If your not willing to do that, then perhaps a new computer is in order. As a gun owner, this should not be so much a foreign concept. I have my own views on XP and have already decided to move away from Windows and go Linux. But that's not everyones' cup of tea.
Old August 23, 2017, 12:52 PM   #19
spacemanspiff

I can understand sticking to familiar operating systems long after they are no longer supported. I remember the good ol days of using Dos 5.0 and Windows 3.1 along with the awesome Norton Desktop. On a Packard Bell 386 DX25 with 4 megs of ram and a 120 meg hard drive!

Not looking forward to when Windows 7 is no longer supported.
Old August 23, 2017, 02:56 PM   #20
Mal H
Staff

Ok, wileybelch knows the answer to the problem. If he wishes to change his OS or not, that is entirely up to him.

Closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
rhb