The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 31, 2016, 02:46 AM   #1
Model12Win

Single Shots?

Seems like all anyone posts here are the cap and ball revolvers. Anybody shoot single shots? Here is mine:

Old December 31, 2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Beagle333

I don't have one, but that's a nice looking one!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old December 31, 2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Fingers McGee

I got rid of all my single shots when I started collecting revolvers about 15 years ago. I had a pair of Harpers Ferry Pistols that were a lot of fun to shoot and acquitted themselves quite well in competition. Also had some Pedersoli Kentucky pistols in .50 and .54.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 31, 2016, 11:51 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Did the OP type a bad word in the title by accident.

Let staff know please.
Old December 31, 2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Hawg

I lost interest in single shot pistols many, many moons ago.
Old December 31, 2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Model12Win

Sorry about the typo all! I didn't know what was going on, then concluded the "i" and "o" were mixed up.
Old December 31, 2016, 07:48 PM   #7
North East Redneck

I currently have a single shot kit sitting around, about 1/3 finished. Payed just over $100 on GB for it. Maybe someday I will finish it.
Revolvers are just too much fun.
Old December 31, 2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Pahoo

Staying in the spirit !!!

Quote:
I got rid of all my single shots when I started collecting revolvers about 15 years ago
Well, about five years ago, I got rid of all my C&B's and in the BuckSkinner tradition, went to single-shots. My last purchase, was a pair of German Dueling pistols and what beauties they are. My favorite shooters are a .45 and .36 TC-Patriots. .......

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2017, 08:58 PM   #9
JT-AR-MG42

Here is my .40 with a before pic

And a couple after I browned the barrel and lock, stained the wood, and fire blued the screws, sights, and trigger. Also made a rod with a .32acp rammer.

The pistol is Belgian made and import marked with Turner Kirkland's name on the top flat. 60's I believe.
Got really lucky and actually found another,(both are serial no. under 1000) so I have a matching pair -no photos though.

They are the perfect mates to my .40 poor boy rifle.
I'm lucky to own some nice smokeless guns, but my first choice when going out on a nice day is always for the .40 flinters.

Both pistols shoot to the sights at 20yds with 25gr. 3F with a .390RB/.012 pillow ticking w/1000+ lube.
Neither pistol showed any liking for 30 or 35grs.

It is much nicer than my photographic abilities (or obvious lack thereof) show.

JT
Old January 2, 2017, 12:54 AM   #10
TruthTellers

Nope, the only single shot bp pistols that interest me are those .65 caliber and up, just because I can throw a decent amount of shot in them and have the most legal non-NFA short barrel shotgun that FDR allows me to have.

I just don't see the point of muzzleloading pistols, they're not as accurate as long guns and cap and ball revolvers have 4 or 5 more shots behind them.

There's a reason as soon as the revolver came about that single shot pistols largely disappeared.
Old January 2, 2017, 08:30 AM   #11
Model12Win

You seem to forget that when your revolver is empty, you've got to load up 5-6 chambers again. Not so with a one shooter. Sure you've only got one shot, but the reload time is far less. Add the massive increase in reliability and it's just a lot more enjoyable than some think! The steady, methodical pace and lack of malfunctions is relaxing. They are also much easier and faster to clean over any revolver.

I'll bet half of those that put down single shot blackpowder handguns have never seriously even tried one, especially a well made one.

And TruthTellers, there's also a reason that cap and ball revolvers largely disappeared when centerfire cartridges came out. It's called technological progress, and it has nothing to do with what is enjoyable for target shooting. It's laughable that you would even say something like that in a BLACK POWDER forum. Cruise on over to the semi-auto pistol section if you are so focused on the apex of handgun design.

Last edited by Model12Win; January 2, 2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old January 2, 2017, 11:17 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

The purpose of the thread is to discuss single shot pistols that you have.

It is pure silliness to start posturing that you don't like them because modern guns are modern.

Thus, stay on track as those sort of comments don't contribute. Hint.
Old January 2, 2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
I'll bet half of those that put down single shot blackpowder handguns have never seriously even tried one, especially a well made one.
I'm not putting them down. If that's what floats your goat then more power to ya. I've owned them in the past and they look good, they're just not a lot of fun to shoot(for me).
Old January 2, 2017, 01:39 PM   #14
roashooter

Single shot....guns...are a lot of fun to me....
Old January 3, 2017, 02:32 AM   #15
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win
You seem to forget that when your revolver is empty, you've got to load up 5-6 chambers again. Not so with a one shooter. Sure you've only got one shot, but the reload time is far less. Add the massive increase in reliability and it's just a lot more enjoyable than some think!
If you're talking about loading 5 to 6 chambers, then yes, that does take longer than a single shot, but if we're talking about reloading one chamber in a revolver to reloading a muzzleloading pistol, the revolver can win if using paper cartridges and a straight capper.

The single shot has to have a ball or bullet rammed down the bore, the ramrod put back into the pistol, a priming powder poured into the flashpan, the frizzen closed, and the hammer cocked. That's a lot of work compared to loading one chamber in a revolver, possibly even two chambers.
Old January 3, 2017, 02:44 AM   #16
Beagle333

I have always wanted one of the Pedersoli Bounty pistols.... for a long time now. I think this is just an awesome pistol and I'd love to just sit at my range and shoot one of these things for a couple/three hours on a nice Saturday.
Maybe one day.....

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 3, 2017, 07:59 AM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

About the time I got interested in owning a hand cannon. T/C up and quit making there Patriot. Tried buying a used Patriot on more than one occasion but didn't have deep enough pockets such a buy requires.

No doubt about it. All these pictured one's here sure are dandy's.

Just saying:
Don't know if a poured pewter cap would up-set a pistols balance.? But what a handsome embellishment a poured cap would make towards its being one of a kind. But if the hand gun is a collectible. I know original factory condition is preferred.

BTW: Nice brace of pistols JT-AR-MG42.
Old January 3, 2017, 10:03 AM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have a Lyman Great Plains single shot muzzle loader and a Trapper that we had to build at school.

The one big advantage of the single shots is that they can be cleaned in the kitchen sink.
Old January 3, 2017, 10:29 AM   #19
roashooter

Quote:
If you're talking about loading 5 to 6 chambers, then yes, that does take longer than a single shot, but if we're talking about reloading one chamber in a revolver to reloading a muzzleloading pistol, the revolver can win if using paper cartridges and a straight capper.

The single shot has to have a ball or bullet rammed down the bore, the ramrod put back into the pistol, a priming powder poured into the flashpan, the frizzen closed, and the hammer cocked. That's a lot of work compared to loading one chamber in a revolver, possibly even two chambers.
now this is just backwards......in forty years of shooting BP I have never...NEVER...seen anyone using paper cartridges to reload a revolver.....I know there are many online examples of how it can be done....but having been to many Black Powder events...I will still say...I have NEVER seen anyone using them.in fact...the paper cartridge will work for a single shot...very quickly....by tearing the base of the paper round, mostly by the teeth. then used to prime the flashpan....the rest poured down the muzzle and the paper and ball are rammed down on top...and it is not required to return the ramrod back in its place, to fire the pistol
those with experience will know this

Last edited by roashooter; January 3, 2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old January 3, 2017, 11:46 AM   #20
Hawg

I have used paper cartridges but to me they're a PITA to make. Speedwise loading and firing one chamber out of a revolver with a paper cartridge would be about the same as a single shot. You don't have to tear a revolver cartridge but after it's loaded you have to cap it which is slower and turn the cylinder to battery.
Old January 3, 2017, 04:00 PM   #21
SIGSHR

I have an old CVA "Derringer" and a "Colonial" pistol. Both good shooters within their limits-still tinkering with the rear sight on the Colonial, the front sight too low for my taste. Really not much different from a single shot rifle.
Old January 3, 2017, 04:40 PM   #22
Eric N.

I have a Traditions Trapper 50 cal. Fun gun. I am thinking of getting one in flintlock.
Old January 4, 2017, 02:24 PM   #23
RCampb6131

I have three.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6247.JPG (231.3 KB, 37 views)
Old January 5, 2017, 10:13 AM   #24
foolzrushn

rcampb6131

Nice looking. For those of us without, you might have mentioned brand/model, how they shoot, which you like best and why.

And by the way, welcome to the forum. Altho I see you've joined some time ago

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; January 5, 2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old January 5, 2017, 02:16 PM   #25
RCampb6131

To answer your questions: the top one is a Patriot SA1272 in 45 cal. made by Ardesa S. A. Firearms of Spain in the 1980's. The middle is a Euroarms pistol from Italy in .44 cal. made in 1974, and the bottom one is a Philadelphia Derringer made in the 1980's by Dikar S. Corp of Spain. It's also a .45 cal.

The Patriot and the Derringer were given to me by a friend. The Euroarms was purchased at a Gun show. None have been shot, yet!