The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 17, 2017, 07:44 AM   #1
98 220 swift

black powder rifles value?

My father has a few muzzle loading rifles that where damaged in a tornado(he and my mom are fine). He is needed some values to give the insurance company. Is there a reference book or online site for this? The one giving me the most trouble is a hatfield rifle. It was a beautiful rifle. I cant find much info on pricing it. I know It will be difficult due to it not being made any more. The TC Hawken that was damaged I don't believe is made any more either. I found a 2012 Dixie gun works catalog and It showed $850 for a new one??

Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 17, 2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

This may help on the Hatfield. I don't know what the current value would but but I found a reference of someone paying $650 for one in 1979.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/...?topic=14891.0

Gunbroker might help on the TC Hawken for current selling prices.

TK

Last edited by Tidewater_Kid; March 17, 2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old March 17, 2017, 01:37 PM   #3
Pahoo

Value !!!

Quote:
The TC Hawken that was damaged I don't believe is made any more either. I found a 2012 Dixie gun works catalog and It showed $850 for a new one??
You are correct that the TC Hawken model as well as their other sidelocks, are no longer made or supported. Unless you find someone that is really looking for one, they are not worth anywhere near $800.00. Even though they are no longer made, there is still a bunch of them out there, that folks can buy. I know what I pay for them and there are deals out there. Might go to Track of the wolf or GunBroker and see if you can find a price. You "new" replacement cost is somewhere in between a Traditions and Lyman. ......

As far as the Hatfield, again go to Track of the wolf or Gunbroker. ......

When you say value, are you talking "New" replacement value or what???

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 17, 2017, 02:06 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

A 2012 Dixie gun works catalog is 5 years out of date. So it doesn't apply.
For insurance purposes, a lot depends on his policy. If he has replacement value(a rider that does exactly what it says) current or very close to whatever the thing is. Your Hatfield, for example, may be original or a clone. Still a copy of a Kentucky rifle to the insurance company.
The TC Hawken has been discontinued. Copy of a Hawken to the insurance company. They start at about $150 on Gunbroker. Condition is everything, of course. No collector value. The calibre matters too.
You really need a BP smithy to properly evaluate 'em.