The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 29, 2011, 06:22 AM   #1
MikeKPP

pressure load on a 45 LC

what woudl be the max FPS for a Uberti 45 LC. I see ammo that is 1200 FPS was wondering if this would be safe to shoot without harming the pistol.
Old March 29, 2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

Stay away from anything marked +P in .45 Colt- I doubt that there are many factory loads in this range other than the Cor-bon loading. These hot loads are made for strong frame firearms and not recommended in a single action army or clone of any type such as the Ubert Cattleman or similar revolvers- it might not blow it up on the first round, but it would shoot it "apart" in just a few rounds.

All loads made in .45 Colt from the major manufacturers such as Winchester, Hornady, Remington, Federal and CCI are all standard pressure and will work just fine.

I do believe the Uberti is going to or has brought out a stronger and larger framed revolver- like the "Buckhorn" they used to make years ago in .44 Magnum called the "Callahan" that will take hotter loads for hunters that may compete with the Ruger Blackhawk, but I haven't seen one locally yet, and they only list them in .44 Magnum.

Last edited by Andy Griffith; March 29, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old March 29, 2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Slamfire

Replica Colt Single Action Army revolvers are not strong enough for hot loads.

Just compare the amount of metal in the frame, cylinder, to a Ruger Blackhawk. You shoot hot loads in your Uberti and you will beat the mechanism up and probably stretch something out.

A maximum load in those thing will be a 250 Lead going 850 fps.
Old March 29, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4
zxcvbob

Clark shoots "Ruger" loads in his Uberti, but that's Clark.

The C.I.P. specification for .45 Colt is about 16000 psi (whatever number comes out to an even number converted to atmospheres. I think it's 16670) I would be comfortable shooting a load like that in any well-made post-war gun. Probably about 10 grains of Herco with a 250-ish grain lead bullet, but that's a guess.
Old March 29, 2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Model-P

Quote:
A maximum load in those thing will be a 250 Lead going 850 fps.
This being the black powder forum, I think it's safe to say here.....

You can do much better than that using BP. It's no real problem to push a 250 grain bullet to 1000fps out of a 7 1/2" barrel using FFFg.

....and at lower pressures than 850fps using smokeless.
Old March 29, 2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Rachen

Avoid the +Ps, and with standard loads, keep them out of any Open Tops, doesnt matter if it's Kirst or factory conversions.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Newton24b

the max speed for a bullet in a traditional peacemaker clone is whats listed in your reloading manual for 45 colt NON RUGER/TC/FREEDOM arms. its by pressure not by velocity.

i LOVE to ask the guncompanies now and then what chamber pressure, bullet weight, and velocities are safe to use. they all agree that SAAMI pressure is what you need to use.
Old April 3, 2011, 10:42 PM   #8
jmortimer

The SAAMI spec is 14k psi which is plenty - for me that would be 9.5 grains of Unique and a hard cast SWC that will shoot through just about anything on earth on a broadside. That is your max - 14 k psi