The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 7, 2020, 05:26 PM   #26
45flaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
If you can magnumize a Mosin and can consider: "make a detachable single stack mag and matching bottom metal with minimal effort" it seems your only problem is deciding what caliber.
Actually, I suspect the mauser will be much more of a challenge. The combination of being a staggered magazine and controlled round feed means that it may not be possible to convert to feed a radically different round. The reason I convert mosins to everything, is because the bolt just needs to slam the round into the chamber. Being single stack, the round is already lined up with the chamber perfectly, and I don't need to worry about extractor tension, or how the round slides up the bolt face.

So, I think I'm going to try fixing this one in 7x57, and eventually suppress it. Since I handload, I can probably get results close to 300 blackout from the 7x57.

If I either can't fix it, or don't like it suppressed, I'll go either 458 socom or 510 whisper.