The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 25, 2020, 10:40 PM   #1
KXhod

Tactical Lazer stuck on rail

I have a Insight Technology M6 Tactical Lazer Illuminator Model TLI-001
I have had it for years and have removed it many times to clean my firearm or change the batteries in the unit. This time when I went to remove it it would not come off the Picatinny rail. Have tried pushing the latch down but didn’t work. It is a simple process using two fingers to push the side bars in down and sliding it forward and off the rail.
I am hoping someone knows how to remove it. I took it to a gun shop but the gunsmith could not remove it without fear of damaging my Sig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light.JPG (180.7 KB, 37 views)
Old March 26, 2020, 10:09 AM   #2
stinkeypete

It’s Hammer Time.
Old April 12, 2020, 12:41 PM   #3
fireitall

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
It’s Hammer Time.
Yup. Get that hammer out and figure out a way to not damage it.
Old April 12, 2020, 12:48 PM   #4
Aikibiker

Try using a plastic punch, wood dowel, or even a pencil to tap it off without damage or marring. You may need an extra set of hands or a vise.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old April 12, 2020, 11:18 PM   #5
dyl

So you need to push those two nubs inward?

If it were me, I would start by using a few layers of painter's tape or masking tape on frame of the Sig, both sides. Also tape up or somehow cushion the nubs you need to compress and the body of the light. I guess everything. Just don't tape the light to the pistol. Then you can use escalating levels of force/tools to assist, or a combo. Something like a ratcheting clamp, bar clamp, bench vice, Vice grips to squeeze the nubs. If the nubs are not the most prominent part that would be compressed by a tool, tape on a couple small pieces of wood so that if the wood pieces were compressed the nubs would be compressed first rather than the body or head of the light. If the nubs squeeze in but then you have trouble sliding it forward/off, you need to use something that will keep the nubs compressed while you tap the light off. Like others have mentioned, plastic or wood as a punch is good.

I wonder. Did the battery swell up and bugger things up? Or maybe rust on the inside? At the worst, if you really need it off, you can destroy the light.

Tags
lazer , light , rail