The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 9, 2018, 03:29 PM   #1
FITASC

Mossberg Ends Relationship with Dick’s Sporting Goods

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...porting-goods/

Quote:
Effective immediately, O.F. Mossberg & Sons will not accept any future orders from Dick’s Sporting Goods or Field & Stream, and is in the process of evaluating current contractual agreements.

“It has come to our attention that Dick’s Sporting Goods recently hired lobbyists on Capitol Hill to promote additional gun control.” said Iver Mossberg, Chief Executive Officer of O.F. Mossberg & Sons. “Make no mistake, Mossberg is a staunch supporter of the U.S. Constitution and our Second Amendment rights, and we fully disagree with Dick’s Sporting Goods’ recent anti-Second Amendment actions.”
Way to go Mossberg! I bet they were a large percentage of the guns Dick's managed to sell
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 9, 2018, 03:34 PM   #2
HiBC

I ended my relationship with them to...Wait,did I have one? Hmmm.

Anyway. The name on the sign says it all.

It ain't "Richard's"

Good one,Mossberg!
Old May 9, 2018, 06:15 PM   #3
Mainah

Lots of interesting corporate politics. Will Remington value that retail monopoly over the same pro-gun stance? Stay tuned.
Old May 9, 2018, 07:51 PM   #4
BarryLee

Bottom line no one outside of a few gun forums cares who Mossberg, Springfield or any other gun company drops as a retail partner. However, whenever another retailer drops guns from their inventory or a corporation cuts ties to a pro-gun organization it will get a lot of press and chip away just a little more at the appeal of gun ownership.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 9, 2018, 08:47 PM   #5
sparkyv

Way to go Mossberg. What say you, Ruger, Smith, Kimber?
Old May 9, 2018, 08:57 PM   #6
Rembrandt

Before long Dicks product line will be nothing more than jock straps, soccer balls, and hats.
Old May 10, 2018, 02:50 PM   #7
5whiskey

Quote:
Bottom line no one outside of a few gun forums cares who Mossberg, Springfield or any other gun company drops as a retail partner.
Not entirely true. It's getting some FB attention. Should it actually be followed by some media, and then re-broadcast, this could get a decent amount of attention.

Why is this bigger news than Springfield's Dick's Boycott? Few if any Dick's locations carried pistols, and Springfield is a pistol-centered manufacturer (excluding the Saint and the MIA). Since Dick's boycotted the AR platform, that left Springfield with exactly 1 model, the M1A, that would be carried by Dick's. I doubt restricting M1A sales at Dick's has any realistic effect at all on the bottom line of either company, so in essence it was virtue signaling. Just like no one really went to Dick's to buy an AR.

Mossberg is a different story, however. Everything Mossberg makes is still suitable for sell at Dick's, and Dick's likely sold a good few Mossberg firearms. This is more than mere virtue signaling.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 10, 2018, 06:14 PM   #8
SamNavy

I know a few guys who still to this day curse the name of Bill Ruger for the role he played in the 1994 AWB and 25 years later refuse to buy Ruger firearms. Those lifelong grudges happened way before the internet. Don't for a second think that these moves by Dicks and F&S (and the industry response) are limited to internet forum guys or will be old news in a few months. We 2A supporters tend to have long memories.
Old May 10, 2018, 08:55 PM   #9
Bartholomew Roberts

Dick’s gets about 10% of their annual $7.9 billion in revenues from gun sales according to what I’ve read. I bet the shareholders care about this.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:52 PM   #10
tony pasley

Add HiPoint and Inland arms to the list. National shooting Sports Federation kicked them out of that organization.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:31 AM   #11
kozak6

That's more like it!

Dick's doesn't really sell pistols, and probably didn't sell many M1A's or Saints.

But Mossberg?

I bet they sold tons of Mossbergs. That's going to sting a bit. Kudos.
Old May 11, 2018, 02:17 AM   #12
bamaranger

forked tongue

Do I read this right? They hire lobbyists that are anti gun, but sell guns too?

I spent a gift certificate there (Dicks) recently. I won't be back........for anything.