The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 6, 2018, 08:33 AM   #1
PushPuller

American Eagle 124gr 9MM

I picked up a couple boxes of this stuff the other day, and after 300 rounds of it I am extremely impressed with its consistent accuracy. I have always had good results with Federal ammunition, but have never really heard any particularly good or bad things about the cheaper American Eagle stuff. Is this pretty consistent or did I just get a really good batch? Other than it seems to be a little dirty I'm thinking of picking up a decent amount.
Old May 6, 2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Don P

Nope they make good consistent performing ammo
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:07 AM   #3
wild cat mccane

It's also typically the most expensive brand.

Speer Lawman is comparable and better in my eyes.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:27 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

The only issue with Federal ammo is the softness of the brass compared to other brands. And that really only matters when you're reloading. It doesn't last as long as other brands.
Old May 7, 2018, 08:57 AM   #5
Charlie98

I also found Federal to be some of the filthiest ammo out of the box, and this includes some LC 7.62mm ammo I bought a few years ago. But it all shoots good, and I like the brass... contrary to others, I've never had a problem with Federal brass while reloading, no more so than any other brand, and better than some.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old May 7, 2018, 03:49 PM   #6
smee78

I have use this ammo before with good results. I prefer a 124grn load in most of my 9mm's and buy it often.
Old May 8, 2018, 05:42 AM   #7
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPuller:
American Eagle 124gr 9MM
I picked up a couple boxes of this stuff the other day, and after 300 rounds of it I am extremely impressed with its consistent accuracy. I have always had good results with Federal ammunition, but have never really heard any particularly good or bad things about the cheaper American Eagle stuff. Is this pretty consistent or did I just get a really good batch? Other than it seems to be a little dirtyI'm thinking of picking up a decent amount.
300 rounds of any ammo will leave your firearm pretty dirty. That Win USA Forged steelcase ammo is dirty, but I tend to avoid that stuff. Remington ammo tends to be kind of dirty. But every 9mm I have has cycled that 124gr. American Eagle ammo beautifully. I never thought that it was particularly dirty, although Wally’s aluminum case Fed Champion ammo can be dirty if you shoot a lot of it.
Old May 9, 2018, 05:03 PM   #8
rock185

Push, I've used that load, and have had good results with Federal ammo in general. Especially Federal's 115 JHP ammo. The AE 124 grain is a soft recoiling,consitent and accurate load. These characteristics are possibly enhanced by the load's moderate velocity. Only 1030 FPS when I chronographed it in a 4" S&W semi-auto.
Old May 9, 2018, 06:18 PM   #9
briandg

Quote:
The only issue with Federal ammo is the softness of the brass compared to other brands. And that really only matters when you're reloading. It doesn't last as long as other brands.
I believe that I encountered that once. Firing reloads with federal brass I had a strange case failure, the case ruptured.

The strange part of it is that the case didn't tear up near the barrel, where the brass was thinnest, it actually tore off at the bottom of the web, down where the groove was cut into it. The thing ripped through a 1/32 chunk of solid brass down by that rim, tore sideways around the rim, and eventually folded back over the feed ramp.

Over pressure should have blown it out at the weakest part, not torn it off at the heaviest part of the casing. It left it with a section of the rim hanging off.
Old May 10, 2018, 08:15 PM   #10
Carriertxv

I have a lot of Federal brass 9mm, 38/357 and 44 magnum that I bought new as American Eagle and have loaded the brass many many times with no issues.
They shot very well as new and continue to as reloads.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:09 PM   #11
qwiksdraw

Hicock45 shoots a lot of American Eagle ammo in all calibers and bullet weights.
Old May 11, 2018, 09:47 PM   #12
sigarms228

I regularly shoot Federal American Eagle, Speer Lawman, and PMC. I like them all but American Eagle is my favorite as my experience it is the most accurate of the bunch, particularly AE 124, and 147. I bought a couple cases of each when the Federal 25 percent off rebate was on last year.

Tags
9mm , american eagle ammo