The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 13, 2018, 05:10 PM   #1
handlerer2

Thoughts on Coopers Replacement Policy

I had been reading about the Cooper Policy of replacing a shot out barrell for $125, and why don't other rifle makers have a similar policy.

I own a Cooper Mdl 22, Montana Varminter, 6.5x284, 1/8". I found this rifle marked down at the Scheels in Billings in 013, for $1700.

I had done research on this chambering and read all about it being a barrell burner. This has to be the best deal in the industry IMO.

I could have this rebarrelled to any of at least 20+ chamberings, from 22-250 to 9.3x64, all of the Ackely Improved from 22-250 to 30-06AI.

I had and still do wonder about the uses for a varmint rifle that will kill a Moose.

I wasn't shopping for 6.5x284, but had read about it's accuracy potential, so I purchased it.

I love this rifle! I had assemble everything from scratch. I tried to duplicate the test ammo from the target. I called the and spoke to same guy that had done the test. He gave a load for 142gr Sierra Matchking over 4831. I took 4 four rounds to zero. My first 3 round group was .3". I was impressed.

I own and reload for a couple of very intense chamberings, 340WBY and 300WBY. I don't hunt anymore and shooting the WBY's as range toys was losing it's joy.

I probably have close to 500 rounds through this rifle and so far so good, but according to many sources half my barrel life may be gone. SO The policy is I pay shipping and handling, include a check for $125 and I get a new barrell. I will just drive it over to Stevensville and take the tour of the factory.

Tell me you think of this and what other chamberings sound interesting to you.
Old May 27, 2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Adrian

Quote:
I had been reading about the Cooper Policy of replacing a shot out barrell for $125, and why don't other rifle makers have a similar policy.
That's a very friendly policy indeed, but I can't imagine Cooper is making money on it. Even something as simple as a Remington 700 take-off barrel is going to cost you $85-100 before labor, and a Wilson Arms barrel like Cooper uses retails at around $160 - unchambered and in the white.

Cooper does it because their rifles command enough of a premium to absorb that as "customer goodwill" - most people won't use it, but some will like knowing that it's there, and the people who do use it are likely to buy more Coopers in the future. It's a lot easier to find the room to absorb that cost when you're selling $2000(+) Coopers than $400-ish Remington 700 ADLs.

Have you considered the 6.5x55 Swede? That's going to be almost the same performance for much less barrel-burning fury, and it still fits your "fit for moose" criteria.
Matt.25:40
Old May 27, 2018, 07:18 PM   #3
old roper

Last I heard Wilson Arms owns Cooper.
NRA Life Member
Old May 27, 2018, 10:44 PM   #4
handlerer2

I reload and shoot 6.5x55 and really enjoy it my brothers has taken the best deer of his life with the Swede.

Since barrel life isn't a consideration anymore I may stick with 6.5x284. Ballistically identical to my 300 WBY. Less than 50 gr powder vs 90+ for either of my WBY's. And it doesn't beat the snot out of me.

I bought this rifle w/o knowing about this policy, but am delighted to find out about it. I love shooting this rifle, it's a honeymoon compared to anything ballistically similar. I feel pretty lucky to have this replacement available.
Old May 28, 2018, 03:34 AM   #5
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper
Last I heard Wilson Arms owns Cooper.
That's right, so they're not paying the full retail cost of the barrel I used to compare... but they would be paying to chamber, headspace, and finish it, which... isn't chump change, I suspect.
Matt.25:40
Old May 28, 2018, 07:19 AM   #6
std7mag

Dang!!
If that policy is still in effect i may have to check into getting a Cooper more seriously!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 28, 2018, 10:10 AM   #7
old roper

Adrian, Since Wilson Arms purchased and existing company with a warranty I would think some of the sell price was put aside for that. When Rem settle on the trigger there a fund for future claims. Wilson Arm sold before purchase of Cooper and new owner is the one that expanded Wilson Arms and they also own Co name Bristol with includes Badger barrels.
NRA Life Member
Old May 28, 2018, 10:21 AM   #8
Don Fischer

If you stop and think about it, how many guy's buy Cooper rifles for match shooting? How many hunter's wear out a rifle in their lifetime? Think of it that way and they don't re-barrel many rifles! Nice to know they do it though!
Old May 28, 2018, 11:55 AM   #9
taylorce1

Most companies will rebarrel your rifle cheaper than paying a gunsmith to do it. I have a buddy that sent a Ruger 77 back fo a new barrel because it came from the factory with headspace issues. He had owned the rifle for more than seven years, I think they told him less than $200 for the barrel replacement. We don't know what happened at Ruger but they sent him a brand new rifle at no charge.
Old May 28, 2018, 02:48 PM   #10
eastbank

the 6.5x284 is not even close to a 300 WBY. as in car,s CID is king in cartiges. they are two different cartiges with different uses. check the stats on bullet weights and speeds for each over distances with fps-fpe.
Old May 28, 2018, 05:04 PM   #11
taylorce1

fastback, I think you missed handlerer's point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlerer2
Since barrel life isn't a consideration anymore I may stick with 6.5x284. Ballistically identical to my 300 WBY. Less than 50 gr powder vs 90+ for either of my WBY's. And it doesn't beat the snot out of me.
All I got out of that post is his load with his 6.5-284 shoots nearly identical to his .300 Weatherby load as far as drop and wind drift. I don't think he was implying anything more than that when he said ballistically identical. The other side effect was he got that with less recoil and powder used, making it more enjoyable to shoot.
Old May 29, 2018, 04:08 AM   #12
eastbank

it seems when the 6.5 boys compare loads they cherry pick.
Old May 29, 2018, 07:03 PM   #13
Scorch

Quote:
Ballistically identical to my 300 WBY.
All I can say is
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks, I needed a good laugh! And I'll use that to make the veggies in my garden grow!

Quote:
they're not paying the full retail cost of the barrel I used to compare... but they would be paying to chamber, headspace, and finish it,
Wilson Arms makes barrels, so it is an in-house deal. They make the barrel, they have their own machinists thread/chamber/crown it, cost is less than you buying a similar quality blank.
Old May 29, 2018, 08:52 PM   #14
handlerer2

Really all I was saying that with a 140 gr and 180gr with same BC say.6 at the same MV say 3000. Not taking windage into the mix the drops are identical. 126" at 1000 yds.

I have reloaded for and hunted with 300WBY since the last century. I have been reloading for magnum rifles since 1976. They are only equivalent in the instance of the load I am using in the Cooper. I load a 140gr VLD, about .6BC, MV about 3000fps.

Yep this is some of the hype about the 6.5x284, but in this particular instance I believe it's valid.

I don't hunt anymore, I have passed the WBY's down to my son, who can really shoot them. I still love to shoot to and to play with 2 or 3 handloads at a time. This is now so easy, that it seems absurd what I tolerated to get something decently accurate in the WBY's.

Not much can compare to the WBY's for raw muzzel energy and I wasn't trying to imply that in any case.

Hey and thanks for the replies to my post.
Old May 29, 2018, 09:00 PM   #15
eastbank

yes, but the 300wby can kick the 178-180gr at 3200 fps if you wish. to me the 6.5,s are good 500 yard game rifles, but do not have the energy for larger game animals at longer ranges.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:04 PM   #16
Scorch

Quote:
Really all I was saying that with a 140 gr and 180gr with same BC say.6 at the same MV say 3000.
And all I was saying is that trajectory is not the same as ballistics, and your trajectory might be close at 1000 yds, but that is just one point. A 300 Weatherby is a cannon, and as such it launches heavy bullets really fast, a lot faster than the 6.5-284 can even think about. And if you are really, truly launching 140s at 3,000 fps, you are asking for trouble. IME, 6.5-284 with a 26" barrel is good for 2800-2900 with 140s. And I build rifles for a living.
Quote:
I have reloaded for and hunted with 300WBY since the last century.
I have been playing this game since 1973 when I turned 16,and I have fallen for the 6.5 hype too. Not once, but twice. But they ain't magic! The true beauty of the 6.5 rifles is that they get into good SD with good BCs and won't beat you up while shooting pretty flat. Nowadays, I build high-velocity 22 center-fires rifles launching 90 gr bullets at 3500 fps that will shoot flatter than a 300 WM out to 1,600 yds.
Old May 30, 2018, 01:21 AM   #17
handlerer2

The subject of the post was Coopers barrel replacement policy. I only learned about when they advertised their new long range rifle in some smoking chamberings; 6.5/300WBY,26Nosler, 6.5& 7mmSTW, 300WBy, 340WBY, 338 Lapua. The policy is shoot out the barrel and they replace the barrel for $125 plus S&H.

They figured it might improve the appeal of their new product, but it applies to all Cooper rifles.

Since I have around 500rds through this rifle, I expect to use this replacement sooner or later, and am grateful for it.

I was commenting on the similarity between the two having owned and reloaded for both.
Old May 30, 2018, 02:24 AM   #18
eastbank

no problem.
Old May 30, 2018, 05:42 PM   #19
dgludwig

QUOTE: Since I have around 500rds through this rifle, I expect to use this replacement sooner or later, and am grateful for it.

Let us know if they really follow through with their promise.