The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 5, 2018, 09:56 AM   #1
ligonierbill

'60s era Belgian Mauser action

I saw a rifle built on an action labeled "CSO" or "CSD". Looks like a classic commercial Mauser-style action. Can anyone tell me more?
Old May 6, 2018, 10:15 PM   #2
RJay

During that time period a slew of FN Mauser actions were made available to the public ,Both Sears and Wards had rifles made up on these actions ( which are underrated and undervalued ). Other companies took advantage along with numerous DIY'ers , The actions were made by the Belgium firm FN and of course were high quality. All I know, hope that helps.
Old May 7, 2018, 04:50 AM   #3
ligonierbill

Thaks. I passed for other reasons.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:08 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I would have jumped on a commercial Belgian action.
Old May 8, 2018, 01:56 PM   #5
ligonierbill

Action was part of what I decided was an overpriced rifle.
Old May 25, 2018, 08:51 AM   #6
J.G. Terry

My experience: Might add that some of the actions used by makers here had different bottom metal. Some of the less expensive rifles appeared with pot metal TG assembly. Also, you had outfits like Flaig's assembling rifles from these actions. Also Sako and Huskqvarna used FN actions. All these actions are usable and worthwhile if one is making up a Mauser based sporter. I have never seen one but one actions had special threads. These actions had square threads so rifles could be made up using surplus Springfield barrels common at the time-as the story goes. You should be able to find Belgian Proofs. There were knock-offs from Spain.
Old May 25, 2018, 09:49 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
These actions had square threads
One Mauser receiver used 03 Springfield bolts, things were complicated with that one because the ejector was a one of a kind meaning if the receiver did not come with the special ejector there was a good chance one had to be made; and then there is that part about 'don't forget', the ejector housing was the bolt stop.

F. Guffey
Old May 25, 2018, 09:57 AM   #8
F. Guffey

The receiver that used the 03 bolt went through some name changes, Parker Hale, Inland and navy Arms. And then there were disclaimers/warnings; They did not know if the receivers were heat treated.

And then it got worst, the cocking piece etc. etc., anyhow when you get one you will discover it does not fit, the bolt will not close.

F. Guffey
Old May 25, 2018, 01:49 PM   #9
J.G. Terry

Sorry friends, I was speaking of a FN action that was finished with square threads to use surplus Springfield barrels. It would have been necessary to modify the barrels to fit into that Mauser action. The story continued that this action was used to make up a number of rifles for the commercial trade. These rifles were made up in 300 Mag as the story continued. My memory fails me on the other action. That other action used 03-A3 bolt etc. and but the action was made to fit into a stock for a Mauser-I think. That thing came about in the 1970's. It did not last long whatever it was. From the previous post that action must have been a monstrosity.
Old May 26, 2018, 03:06 AM   #10
J.G. Terry

Santa Fe Actions

Santa Fe Actions: There was a Spanish made FN like action in circulation in the 1970's. Seems like some were marked Parker Hale. One barrel maker sold barreled actions. The actions were usable but tended to be rough with a poor trigger mechanism.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; May 27, 2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old June 10, 2018, 11:53 AM   #11
Erno86

I can't tell you much more about the FN action, but I do own a "safe queen" custom made 338 Win Mag, based on a FN action and a medium heavy Douglas barrel. The action works a bit stiff, though I guess that's partly due to the 338 cartridge contour specs.

--- George Orwell
Old August 27, 2018, 10:01 AM   #12
F. Guffey

Quote:
The receiver that used the 03 bolt went through some name changes, Parker Hale, Inland and navy Arms.
On the outside chance someone that had ever seen one of these rifles and ever ordered actions, bolts or barrels the 'Mauser' term was used Loosely. When installing the barrel to the receiver the first thing the installer should notice; there was no 'C' ring for the face of the barrel to seat against. The barrel contacted the receiver against the front receiver ring and shoulder at the end of the threads. Nothing new to 03 barrel installers, nothing new to M17 barrel installers etc..

For a few years http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/firearms.aspx sold kits.

F. Guffey