The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2017, 04:54 PM   #1
Rogervzv

Mark III tapered barrel "project gun" report

One or two of you may recall that several weeks ago I inquired here as to how to add an adjustable sight to the Ruger Mark III tapered barrel model. I am a big fan of this model for its handiness and pointability, but I do not like the stock front sight (very hard to see) or for that matter the fact that the sights are fixed. So I endeavored to find a way to install a set of high-quality adjustable sights.

My excellent local gunsmith (West Coast Gun Works in Stanton--great people!) found this Kensight rear sight, which is all-steel and very well made. Unfortunately, it also requires a higher (much higher!) front sight. Nothing aftermarket seemed to be available, but my gunsmith fabricated a front sight (all-steel) and things worked out great.

This gun is now a joy to shoot, and the custom sight system works very well!
Old March 18, 2017, 05:25 PM   #2
JN01

You forgot the picture.
Old March 18, 2017, 06:31 PM   #3
Rogervzv

Here are some pics (for some reason I am being blocked from these pics displaying. Not sure why. Maybe the mod has to do something).

Last edited by Rogervzv; March 19, 2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old March 19, 2017, 07:49 AM   #4
JN01

Nice. By the looks of your target, they seem to be working well for you.
Old March 19, 2017, 10:15 AM   #5
SGW Gunsmith

Volquartsen sells a higher front sight blade when adding an adjustable rear sight to a Standard Ruger pistol. I installed the colored insert.

Old March 20, 2017, 07:25 PM   #6
Rogervzv

Unfortunately as best I can tell, VQ no longer sells that front sight.
Old March 22, 2017, 08:46 AM   #7
rep1954

I recently bought 2 from Rimfire Sports but now I see they do not list them either. I used one along with the VC TL rear sight on a MKII 4 3/4" NRA Endowment setting on top of a VC 1911 frame. Nice weight and balance.