The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old November 13, 2018, 05:25 PM   #26
Orion6

A 783 doesn’t have a high/low setup.

Factory mounted scopes of any brand are never “on” in my experience.

I have a 783 with factory mounts and Vortex scope. I loctited the bases, re-mounted the scope, boresighted myself and was 2” high and 1” left at the range first shot.
Old November 13, 2018, 05:33 PM   #27
mehavey

Quote:
the bad stuff about Cabela's messing it up is, well, wrong.
--- Wrong ---
Cabela's sold a defectively-assembled product regardless whether "they" did it.
Same as a new car dealer selling an easily identifiably defective car to John Q Public.
Cabela's QC-at-sales issue (or lack of it ) still stands at their wall of guns....
A $4.1Billion Sporting goods/firearms enterprise.

As to "that the OP may be mistaken about how the problem was resolved if it even occurred as stated."

Substitute "Rings" (clearly larger/smaller) for the term "bases" (which appeared identical)
Both problem and resolution when switched.

What I find fascinating is this set of bases ( as far as uniform height)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...gton-783-matte

I'll wait for the kid to come out again / pictures.

Last edited by mehavey; November 13, 2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old November 13, 2018, 06:02 PM   #28
FITASC

Quote:
About what their debt level is too.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 13, 2018, 08:54 PM   #29
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
--- Wrong ---
Cabela's sold a defectively-assembled product regardless whether "they" did it.
Same as a new car dealer selling an easily identifiably defective car to John Q Public.
Cabela's QC-at-sales issue (or lack of it ) still stands at their wall of guns....

As to "that the OP may be mistaken about how the problem was resolved if it even occurred as stated."

Substitute "Rings" (clearly larger/smaller) for the term "bases" (which appeared identical)
Both problem and resolution when switched.

What I find fascinating is this set of bases ( as far as uniform height)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...gton-783-matte

I'll wait for the kid to come out again / pictures.
Sorry, still don't buy it. If you take a medium ring and put it on the front and a high ring and put it on the rear, you'll never get it even close. If you put a high ring on the front and a low ring on the rear, same problem. Rings are not rifle specific, bases are and you cant put the rear base on the front or vice versa. To put this into perspective, a 20 moa base is about .030 taller in the rear. The difference between a medium and a high ring can be 1/4" or more. If a high ring was in the rear and a medium up front you'd be shooting at the sky and if they were reversed you'd be in the dirt between 25 and 50 yards from the bench (maybe less).

As for quality control.. It's not Cabela's job to test each rifle before it's sold or allow you to test drive it before you buy it. No gun shop I've ever bought a rifle from does that. A certain amount of responsibility falls upon the buyer and Remington has a warranty program that would cover this problem.

Where you could find fault with Cabela's is if this rifle was previously sold and returned and then resold without being thoroughly checked out. From what you describe, that could very well be the case. That, I would not put past them. I'm no fan of Cabelas gun department.
Old November 13, 2018, 10:44 PM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Given that the problem was solved, I believe that this gripe-fest has gone far enough.
Closed Thread