The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2018, 04:58 PM   #26
magnut

Beretta 92fs. Its Big, Its bad, Its beautiful. Iconic pistol that is smooth shooting and comfortable. Probably in my top 5 for enjoyable pistols. They shoot so soft it feels like a 22 once you put some time in. I have had one since I was 12 years old.
Old December 5, 2018, 10:11 AM   #27
Winny

Quote:
No Glocks for me. I don’t really care for them, and have never kept one more than a month.
A controversial statement! I agree- just something about them won't "click" with me.

I say the Beretta 92. Its a classic and shoots like a dream. Fun (not so) little pistol.

If not, the Sig p226 would be my runner-up.
Old December 5, 2018, 05:56 PM   #28
jimjc

CZ75 SP01 can't get much better. or the smaller cz75 p01
Old December 6, 2018, 08:35 PM   #29
Cowboyfromhell

In this order....Hk,Sig,Beretta. I have owned all these and they are definitely top shelf guns.
Old December 6, 2018, 08:40 PM   #30
Cowboyfromhell

I own a p226. Absolutely fantastic gun. I own an HK USP 40 and really like it too. I had a Beretta too for a while but sold it for the p226. You can't go wrong ..really solid choices.
Old December 8, 2018, 08:07 AM   #31
chaim

Hmm, full sized, double stack, primarily hammer fired metal guns (with one exception). Lots of good guns in that category, and since everyone seems to want small CCW pistols you could potentially get a good deal.

I love my CZ 75B. So much so that I've had three other CZs come through my hands (if you count the 75B Compact I bought yesterday but can't take possession of for a week due to MD's waiting period). It is accurate, reliable (I stopped counting rounds about a decade ago at 10K, and for well over 10K rounds I've had very few hiccups), and ergonomically it fits my hands perfectly (true for many but not all, if it is true for you, you owe it to yourself to own one).

Of the others, SIG and Beretta would be my top choices.

I'm also a big SIG fan. I've owned 4 now. I never fully warmed to my 9mm P226 I once had. For a full size (ish) SIG 9mm, I'd go with the slightly smaller P228 or P229. I loved my P229 in .40 and will own another (I sold it when I needed the funds, it was, at the time, my 2nd or 3rd favorite gun). I know most people like the P226 better than the P229, but I would definitely go P229.

I've never owned the Beretta, but from reputation, it is a great gun. I've shot some and do like how they feel. They are typically reliable and accurate. It is on my short list of guns I'd like to add to the collection over the next couple years.

While the full sized double stack 9mm is a hole in your collection, I'd also agree with the person who suggested a .40. You don't have one yet, you have more than a couple guns, and .40 is a good way to go right now. They tend to be cheaper than they used to be, and used can be quite cheap, since they seem to have lost favor lately in the shooting and police world. There are some really nice guns in .40 out there. And, as mentioned, during the last couple ammo shortages, you could still find .40S&W on the shelves. Another option I'd consider for an ammo shortage insurance gun would be something in .357SIG. Less common, but most big box and gun stores carry at least one or two options, it was usually available during the shortage, and it is a little different if that appeals to you.