The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 2, 2018, 10:30 AM   #1
graywolf70

Glockexe

Well I finally made the jump,I sold my 2 Glock's and bought a semi-custom 1911 Les Baer Custom Carry,45acp,full size 5"barrel, NIB.So far,I am extremely happy.It was so tight when I got it, it.was all I could do to rack the slide (I am 74 ).I had heard the LB magazines would cause problems, and until it was broken in, you would have problems ftf,fte,etc,so far after 300 rounds not a single problem,and I have used jhp and fmj. I haven't broken it down yet, as LB says to wait 500 rounds to break it down and clean it.I'll stop now, and I'm not bragging,just an old man, very happy,thanks.
Old December 2, 2018, 11:37 AM   #2
big al hunter

Congratulations on your new purchase. I much prefer the 1911 frame over a Glock. I will eventually get a custom 1911....when the kids are out of the house. Their guns come first
Old December 2, 2018, 12:11 PM   #3
graywolf70

When you do consider a Les Baer
Old December 3, 2018, 10:09 AM   #4
ChasHam

Good move buying a nice new Les Baer-- but I bet you'll come to regret selling off your Glocks.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life;-)
Old December 3, 2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasHam
Good move buying a nice new Les Baer-- but I bet you'll come to regret selling off your Glocks.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life;-)
Glocks are good guns, and I currently have two. (I've had a bunch over the years, several 17s, several 23s with conversion barrels, a 22, a 34, a couple of 35s, and my current 37 [with a 9mm conversion barrel], and 38.) I've always avoided the sub-compact models.)

That said, Glocks are almost commodities, and like commodities, easily replaced. for a reasonable cash outlay.

Getting one's hands on a semi-custom gun of any sort is harder and more costly, but if it turns out wrong, you can probably sell that semi-custom gun for enough to buy 4 or 5 Glocks.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 3, 2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old December 3, 2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Sharkbite

NICE. Good for you

Ive owned a mess of 1911’s over the years. Even carried one on the S.O. for a while. Never had a LB
Old December 5, 2018, 09:37 AM   #7
ChasHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
Glocks are good guns, and I currently have two. (I've had a bunch over the years, several 17s, several 23s with conversion barrels, a 22, a 34, a couple of 35s, and my current 37 [with a 9mm conversion barrel], and 38.) I've always avoided the sub-compact models.)

That said, Glocks are almost commodities, and like commodities, easily replaced. for a reasonable cash outlay.

Getting one's hands on a semi-custom gun of any sort is harder and more costly, but if it turns out wrong, you can probably sell that semi-custom gun for enough to buy 4 or 5 Glocks.
Well mebbe so. But I remember an article in a gun magazine years back that was a reader-poll that asked which gun folks most regretted getting rid of.

The response that has always stayed with me was "Each and every one of them!"

And that's certainly true in my case...
Old December 5, 2018, 10:02 AM   #8
darkgael

The buying and then selling and then buying again....often the same or very similar gun....is something that i have never understood. Buy the gun, keep the gun. Save up and buy another one if the “wants” come upon you.
Old December 5, 2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasHam
Well mebbe so. But I remember an article in a gun magazine years back that was a reader-poll that asked which gun folks most regretted getting rid of.

And that's certainly true in my case...
A lot of people say things that sound good when that question comes up, but it's a bit like asking people about their political or religious beliefs: they'll give you an answer that makes them feel better or an answer they think will make them look better in the eyes of the questioner -- but what they say they do may not be what the really think or do.

I've traded or sold any number of guns over the years and haven't missed them a bit. And, just because I sold or traded one doesn't mean that gun wasn't replaced with by a gun I liked better.

In the final analysis, I'd much rather have a smaller number of better (and sometimes GREAT) guns than a bunch of guns I that just set in the safe, including some that I'm not completely happy with. If you're really completely happy with the guns you've got, you should hang on to them. But, if one or two of them aren't exactly what you want, why stick them in the safe -- as chances are they won't get shot. Sell them or trade them and get something better!

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 5, 2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old December 5, 2018, 07:56 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:

BINGO!!!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 6, 2018, 08:10 AM   #11
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
A lot of people say things that sound good when that question comes up, but it's a bit like asking people about their political or religious beliefs: they'll give you an answer that makes them feel better or an answer they think will make them look better in the eyes of the questioner -- but what they say they do may not be what the really think or do.

I've traded or sold any number of guns over the years and haven't missed them a bit. And, just because I sold or traded one doesn't mean that gun wasn't replaced with by a gun I liked better.

In the final analysis, I'd much rather have a smaller number of better (and sometimes GREAT) guns than a bunch of guns I that just set in the safe, including some that I'm not completely happy with. If you're really completely happy with the guns you've got, you should hang on to them. But, if one or two of them aren't exactly what you want, why stick them in the safe -- as chances are they won't get shot. Sell them or trade them and get something better!
Agree..as a relative FNG(Farging New Guy) to handguns..I bought 3-4 that I really didn't like at all, since my number one criteria is 'FTS'..'Fun To Shoot'..some I traded? S&W 642, Ruger LC-9S, Taurus Model 82, Taurus 22magnum revolver..

"Tools not Trophies”