The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Brutus

Colt's cobra the new Bigfoot?

Anyone seen one of these? Seems to be about as elusive as Bigfoot.
Old September 7, 2017, 10:34 AM   #2
reddog81

I've seen tons of posts online where people have found them. I still haven't seen one in person. I'll buy the first one I can find assuming no major defects.

There's a couple on gunbroker for under $800. The cheapest I saw just now was $725 plus shipping, plus FFL fees. Of course the shipping and FFL fees are probably a wash once you factor in sales tax on a purchase at a local shop.
Old September 7, 2017, 10:52 AM   #3
Model12Win

The Pony Boys (Colt collectors) are nabbing them as fast as they can. I'd just wait it out until availability increases and prices drop.
Old September 7, 2017, 02:04 PM   #4
Bob Wright

No way can a little .38 be compared to Bigfoot.

Bob Wright
Old September 7, 2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post

Bob Wright
I agree, Bob.

A .38 would just make the squatch irate.
Old September 7, 2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Wheel-Gunner

There is one sitting all by its lonesome at my LGS. The clerk told me that many have looked, no one has bitten. I was one of the many. It is priced at $799.
Old September 7, 2017, 10:00 PM   #7
Brutus

Wow Wheel-Gunner actually saw one. What was your take on the gun? Did it seem worth the $800 price tag?
Old September 7, 2017, 10:20 PM   #8
jwise

I saw one. Edges were sharp. Trigger was nice and smooth. Didn't really impress me.
Old September 7, 2017, 10:28 PM   #9
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
There is one sitting all by its lonesome at my LGS. The clerk told me that many have looked, no one has bitten. I was one of the many. It is priced at $799.
The price will keep all but the most serious wheelgunners away. Most will buy one to admire and put away as a future collectible, few will actually carry and shoot them.
Old September 7, 2017, 10:42 PM   #10
Wheel-Gunner

Here are my comments on the new Colt that I posted in another thread:

Quote:
I have only held one at my LGS.

Like many, when Colt made the announcement I was pumped and really looked forward to seeing one in person. If nothing else, as a revolver first kinda guy, I was not only happy to see Colt back in the game again but happy to see another revolver being produced for the masses (was happy to see Kimber enter the ring as well).

I have to admit after holding it, examining it closely up and down, and looking at the price tag dangling off the trigger guard (did not fire it), I was very underwhelmed. Disappointed. For the price, I would much rather get 1.5 or 2 used K frames and in my opinion have a better gun(s).

Only my opinion, of course, and I would be interested in what others might say on the subject.
I would also add that I do not dig the finish on the new Colt. Small thing maybe for some, but not for me at that price point. For contrast there is an old Model 29 a couple display cases away, beautiful blued shine, and the price is the same.

As of today, the Colt was still there. I saw it while I was perving a dish at a Ruger Single-Seven.

Last edited by Wheel-Gunner; September 7, 2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old September 8, 2017, 12:59 PM   #11
SA1911

One was spotting lumbering across Wilshire Blvd in LA headin' for Baskin-Robbins. People fled in fear. It turned out to be Rosie O'Donnell.

As far as a Cobra, a Colt rep told me it ain't gonna go through CA's hoops to sell guns in this totalitarian state.
Old September 8, 2017, 01:29 PM   #12
UncleEd

I've handled one and I've always liked the Detective Special (D-frame size).
I liked the one I handled.

So when I win a new Cobra in a raffle, I'll keep it. And use it!
Unless I sell it for a Smith or Ruger.
Old September 8, 2017, 01:55 PM   #13
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
As far as a Cobra, a Colt rep told me it ain't gonna go through CA's hoops to sell guns in this totalitarian state.
Kimber took the time with their newly approved k6s, so they'll get my business!
Old September 8, 2017, 02:51 PM   #14
BeornLS

I saw one yesterday at my LGS here in Sugar Land, TX. $799 price tag (I believe), very nice but not that nice and I'm a Colt fan of sorts. Maybe someday when I don't have other shiny things beckoning to me (like the K6S in the case next to it! they let me dry fire the K6S...wow, what a sweet trigger).
Old September 8, 2017, 03:07 PM   #15
VTRich

Most the shops around here have them. One shop told me they have sold a few. They are priced at $659 there. Another shop has them for $709.
Old September 9, 2017, 09:32 PM   #16
EIGHTYDUECE

I looked at one here in Pasadena, TX today. It was $749.99. The all stainless S&W model 60 was $699.99. It looked good and now I really want one.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old September 10, 2017, 12:13 PM   #17
Stephanie B

I've seen two in the local stores, priced either at MSRP or slightly below.
Old September 10, 2017, 04:48 PM   #18
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post

Bob Wright
I agree, Bob.

A .38 would just make the squatch irate.
Pretty sure the op is talking about a handgun that has been hard for him to find (i.e., the "elusive" BigFoot), not a handgun best suited for bagging Sasquatch should a mean one ever be encountered.
Old September 10, 2017, 06:38 PM   #19
Old 454

When i think of colt revolvers... i think of there classic looks and reliabilty.

I have seen the new colt revolver... looked kinda vanilla nothing special except it was a 38 special.

Reliability... we will see what the future holds
Old September 12, 2017, 06:03 PM   #20
Mr. Hill

Maybe it is more like a jackalope.

Anyway, I couldn't afford one.
Old September 12, 2017, 06:24 PM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Anyone seen one of these? Seems to be about as elusive as Bigfoot.
Under glass, at GAT Guns in the Chicago burbs.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 12, 2017, 11:13 PM   #22
claydoctor

Saw them at the last SHOT Show. Was underwhelmed but few snubbies interest me .
Old September 14, 2017, 10:27 AM   #23
Stainz

I bought mine locally for $705 OTD 8/26. Still haven't shot it - an oddity for me as I usually shoot everything I buy within a day. I've been carrying my S&W 351PD since gifting a friend my 642 earlier this year. I had thought I'd get a PC 642 ($525 MSRP!) as I liked the 642. My 3" 60 Pro is fun - with my .38 +P 158gr LHPSWC's - but too long for pocket carry (Of course, the new Cobra is, too - especially with those huge Hogues it sports!). I like the Cobra - it can be fed by my HKS #10 speedloaders, too, thus joining my 10, 64, & 66 sharing a common load in the speedloader for defensive use. Plus... at 69, it's about time to finally buy a Colt revolver. Thus far, I am pleased with the quality of my purchase... but I must get to a range!

Stainz

PS My dealer wanted $899... so haggle if he has more than one (MSRP is $699!).
PPS I wanted it since I first saw it on the May 2017 AR cover. I want those grips, too.
Old September 18, 2017, 09:49 PM   #24
Wheelie_Fan

I have one... my LGS had it on order for me for quite a while. Finally came in in.... Early June against all expectations... I seem to recall DPris (I think) indicating early on that production was allocated through 2017. Just got lucky, I guess.

Haven't fired it yet (it's golf season). Was priced at MSRP $699, my guy wasn't looking for a dime more, when all others I saw were priced WELL over list.

Yeah, it was a bit pricey but my first Colt and with this the first DA Colt in many years, a nice pick up, I think. Feels great, really good trigger, based on dry firing. Maybe keep my eyes peeled for aftermarket grips... the bead blasted stainless finish, while not traditional Colt, is well executed and, I'm guessing, durable. One of these days, I'll own a Colt with a royal blue finish...

Until then, I'll get by with this one...

Last edited by Wheelie_Fan; September 18, 2017 at 10:10 PM.