The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 22, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Coot_Commander

Where do I start with my used 1911 project?

I finally made the first step of starting my first project. Building my own 1911. I got a great deal on a used norinco 1911a1 (always heard they were a great pistol to build off of). Now I have the gun, it definitely has some wear. Where do I start? I assume trigger, barrel, sights. I know my way around a pistol but I am not a gunsmith.

Can I do all of it myself aside the finish or what should I turn over to a pro?
Old December 22, 2013, 10:26 PM   #2
mete

Get some good books like those by Kuhnhausen.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Scorch

Smooth it out first, Norincos are pretty rough. Then trigger/sear/hammer, barrel/link/bushing, extractor, safeties, sights, then refinish it. When it comes back with a nice new finish on it, reassemble it, then go break it in.
Old December 23, 2013, 09:18 AM   #4
g.willikers

First figure out where the gun is deficient.
No point in changing things that work good.
Then just do one at a time.
If things go wrong the gun will still be salvageable.
And definitely read all about it beforehand.
http://www.amazon.com/The-45-Automat...rds=kuhnhausen
Old December 23, 2013, 10:27 AM   #5
JNad

First let me say, what a great way to become intimately familiar with all parts of a 1911 - building one.

Next your new montra should be "measure a lot, file a little."

As others have already stated, Kuhnhausen's books are pretty much an absolute MUST have. Read them, then re-read them this time inserting labeled book marks. You will be coming back to these often.

Also, as stated by others, shoot it, figure out what needs to be done first. You want to know the gun to begin with. If it has functionallity issues, you want to get those behind you, or at the very least understand them. This will also help you understand, was it something you did, or did the gun start out with this problem. It would be pretty frustrating to start with a "broken" gun, and think you screwed something up.

Another great way to spend an evening in front of the TV, if your significant other will tolerate it, is to dissassemble and reassemble the gun several times (down to the last pin and back - not just field strip). You will be doing this plenty of times throughout the build anyway, but it may help you understand some of your reading in Kuhnhausen a bit better, and it will absolutely give you more familiarity with how a 1911 functions.

Not knowing your level of proficeincy with tools, you may be able to do all yourself, or not - only you will know what you are comfortable with.

Start there and good luck.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:20 PM   #6
polyphemus

Quote:
it definitely has some wear. Where do I start?
You answered your own question.Before you start your project find out if your
frame and slide are within specs,the blueprints,a pair of mics and a vernier
caliper plus a set of feeler gages and a good loupe will give you a fair estimate
of its worth.good luck
Old December 23, 2013, 04:21 PM   #7
HiBC

You mention two paths:One,doing it yourself,the other,hiring it done.

Just my opinion,if you hire it done,labor cost will add up fast.It costs the same per hour to work on a Colt as it does a Norinco.And,actually,it is not unusual that an off brand will present quirks that will cost time and money.

At the same time,it takes some education and experience and some tools and reference materials to work on a 1911.It is critical that you end up with a safe functioning handgun when you are finished."Intuitive" tampering is not likely to get you there.

So,in tools,reference materials,and a few do-over parts,the do-it yourself route will cost you ,too.

If you just want your Norinco freshened up,tuned to function correctly..a gun that works,talk to your smith.Education has a price.

But,if you want to commit to learning the 1911,you can learn tuning a trigger,or installing a Cylinder and Slide hammer/sear/disconnect set or even checkering straps,tightening a worn slide/ frame...a lot of projects just fine on your Norinco.It will be a money pit...by the time you are done,you will be wondering if you should have just bought quality in the first place.
Actually,If you start with the price of the Norinco,do a detailed list of tools and parts frome Brownells,then go look at the new offerings from Ruger,S+W,Kimber,etc You will have to think hard.

Do you just want a good gun,or do you want an education and a questionable habit?

If it comes out pretty good,then the real fun will begin...when your brother in law brings you an old AMT Hardballer and asks for a new magazine catch...and you say"Oh,yeah,no problem!"

I am laughing as I write...I have been doing some amateur 1911 work myself lately.

Last edited by HiBC; December 23, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old December 27, 2013, 05:30 PM   #8
gsg9.ca

I'd say start with control surfaces; grips, mainspring housing, beaver tail. If the gun is uncomfortable to hold, and wont point for you, then it's not gonna work well no matter what else you do.
Then sights. Once you can point it you gotta aim at something and a clear consistent sight picture is key.
Last would be trigger and internals tuned to your taste. The guts on most Norc's are solid but could use some tlc in the buffing department. You shouldn't have to many issues getting a clean 4.5-5 lb trigger pull. Lighter than that and you're better off getting a C&S kit right off the bat.

gl

Tags
1911 , norinco , rebuild