The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 4, 2020, 10:36 AM   #1
jetinteriorguy

Looking for a stock for Savage 12FV

I’m thinking of rebarreling my Savage 12FV with a Shilen Varmint Profile barrel and would like to put a new stock on as well. Right now I have a Choate Super Sniper stock and would like a much lighter stock with better adjustability. Hopefully something that’s drop in and under $400.00. Can be wood, synthetic, or metal. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old December 4, 2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Rimfire5

Lighter stocks probably won't have the same aluminum stiffeners that make the Choate and stiffened stocks heavier.

A metal chassis is going to be heavier but will add rigidity. The added rigidity is why I switched to an Oryx aluminum chassis for my 12 FV 6.5mm CM. The Oryx chassis came with the AICS magazine bottom metal for $400. I added an AICS mag and bought the spacer kit from Oryx.

It was a great improvement over the 12 FV factory stock in rigidity and ease of loading.
Can't say if metal would be an improvement over your Choate stock, but I'm pretty sure it will be heavier.
Old December 4, 2020, 11:35 AM   #3
jetinteriorguy

The excessive weight is what I’m trying to get away from. I do all my shooting indoors at 100 yds so no need for the extra weight as I don’t do any longer range shooting anymore. I don’t even mind converting to loading single shot since it’s a range toy only.
Old December 4, 2020, 01:22 PM   #4
taylorce1

Probably the lightest under $400 aftermarket stock will be the B&C 1007/1009 sporter style stock at 2.25 lbs. The other option is to find a take off Accustock, this stock also weights around 2.25 lbs with alloy magazine well and TG in the sporter style stock. I don't have a clue as to what the new Accufit stock weighs but that might be an option as well. Boyd's will also have some wood stock options that'll come in around 3 lbs or less depending on stock and options chosen.

The B&C is going to require some work to open up the barrel channel to accept a varmint contour barrel. Either the Accustock or Accufit stocks will require a new recoil lug, and since you're changing the barrel this shouldn't be an issue. All these recommendations come with the assumption you're shooting a newer 12FV with the centerfeed action. If you're using an older staggerfeed action you're better off sticking with what you have.
Old December 4, 2020, 03:48 PM   #5
Rimfire5

The one upside of extra overall weight is potentially better accuracy.
More weight reduces the potential for moving the rifle around when firing and should also reduce recoil which also moves the rifle around.

The change from the factory stock to the Oryx chassis improved the accuracy of my 12 FV 6.5mm Creedmoor by about 10%, comparing the same bullets and powders.
Old December 4, 2020, 03:57 PM   #6
stagpanther

I'm stumped--you want a varmint profile barrel--don't need to worry about hauling it through the woods--and want a super light stock??
Old December 4, 2020, 04:25 PM   #7
jetinteriorguy

Not necessarily a super light stock, just one I can carry to the range without throwing my back out. As it sits now my setup weighs just under 17 lbs and when I carry it in the case which adds another couple lbs, when I shoulder it using the shoulder strap it sometimes twists my back which for me is a big issue from an old football injury. If I could get it down to 12 lbs or so it would be a great improvement without affecting my ability to shoot it accurately. The idea of an Accustock sounds good but I’ll have to investigate how to purchase one.
Old December 4, 2020, 05:42 PM   #8
jpx2rk

If the Shilen barrel is a smaller profile than the OEM barrel, it may balance a bit better as the original configuration is barrel heavy. Might look at the Boyd's AT-1 or the prairie hunter. You can get the PH with an adjustable comb for a few bucks more.
Old December 4, 2020, 07:14 PM   #9
Rimfire5

Sorry to hear you are hurting and need to protect your back.

I would still be concerned that a really light rifle will potentially exacerbate accuracy issues. My experience with really light hunting rifles reminds me that I had to learn how to shoot them so I didn't cause excessive 'shooter induced variations'. Even then, I had more problems with the light rifles than I do with heavy benchrest rifles. For me, any pressure on a light rifle tends to accentuate variations in POI and I have yet to figure out how not to put some pressure on a rifle that recoils.

My 12 FV 6.5mm CM with the factory 26-in barrel mounted in an Oryx chassis with two mags, a NightForce 8-32x56mm Benchrest scope, in a padded Cabela's case weighs 17.1 lbs. Even without the Oryx chassis, the 12 FV in the factory stock was not something I would have wanted to carry around in the woods.

My Sinclair Gen 3 F-Class bipod, Protektor rear rest, range bag, and ammo all get carried separately from the car to the bench.
I don't have back problems but at my age, I'm not looking to create any, either.

Unless you carry a whole lot in your case with the rifle, the stock weight doesn't appear to be all that much different.

If you do carry lots of stuff with your rifle, you might want to separate some of it out to reduce the weight you have to lift to protect your back. Making two trips and carrying lighter is better than not being able to straighten up.

Some of my range buddies with back issues use a collapsible cart to drag their stuff around. Fortunately, I haven't had to resort to that yet, but it might be of help to you.

I wish you well with the new barrel.
Old December 5, 2020, 04:35 AM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy
The idea of an Accustock sounds good but I’ll have to investigate how to purchase one.
You can purchase everything direct Savage brand new but it'll cost probably more than you want to spend. Gunbroker, eBay, and Savage Shooter forum are probably your best bet to source a take off syock and alloy bottom metal. Or some guy like myself might be persuaded to let go of one.

Another thing you should consider the fastest way to lighten up a rifle is with barel contour and length. If you're only shooting indoors at 100 yards do you need a 26" varmint contour? If all I was shooting was 100 yards in a short action depending on cartridge I could be pretty happy with a 16-18" barrel. Cutting your barrel to at least 20" will probably save more weight and be cheaper than replacing the stock
Old December 5, 2020, 07:17 AM   #11
jetinteriorguy

Another aspect of the weight is I’m carrying a range bag with the rear bag, ammo, ear muffs, and usually a couple of pistols and ammo for them as well. It’s an indoor range and I’m not comfortable making multiple trips, although I don’t really have to carry stuff very far. I’m just getting too wimpy in my old age. I’m probably just overthinking this whole thing, too much time on my hands between being retired and quarantining. I’m definitely going to change the barrel but will probably just keep the stock. A shorter barrel might be a good idea, something more to obsess over.
Old December 5, 2020, 08:38 AM   #12
stagpanther

MDT--get one with an option for a long forend to balance that barrel.
Old December 5, 2020, 12:16 PM   #13
jetinteriorguy

Ooh, I like the look of the MDT XRS chassis, may have a winner here. I’d looked at them a few years ago but had forgotten about them. May have a winner here. I think that plus a heavy sporter 20” barrel might be a serious contender.

Last edited by jetinteriorguy; December 5, 2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old December 5, 2020, 12:32 PM   #14
stagpanther

I have 4 rifles with MDT chassises--for easy drop-in rigid hard to beat.
Old December 5, 2020, 12:53 PM   #15
jetinteriorguy

Eeyow, they’re talking up to 12 weeks to ship item due to heavy Black Friday volume. Not that I’m in a hurry, I’m not going to the range until I get a COVID vaccination anyway. Plus I have so many new loads to test in several rifles and plenty of other shooting to get caught up on. I may do a little more looking around but will most likely order this one anyway.
Old December 5, 2020, 01:04 PM   #16
jetinteriorguy

The factory barrel is chambered in 6.5CM, but I’m almost thinking of ordering the new one in 6CM just for a change of pace. I still have my AR10 in 6.5 so I’m covered good there.
Old December 5, 2020, 02:05 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

Very much doubt you'll be able to shave 5 pounds off by just changing the stock.
Your Choate weighs about 6 pounds. A Bell and Carson Varmint/Tactical stock weighs 5.5 pounds.
Here's an article about cutting the barrel and how it affects velocity.
https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5...p-a-creedmoor/
"...I’m carrying a..." What you need is a gun bearer/lackey or a cart. I'd be thinking something similar to a golf bag cart. I have a cart I can use as a 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler. It's hauled everything from 8 system computer units to a refrigerator with my just putting on a piece of plywood.
Old December 5, 2020, 02:46 PM   #18
Bfglowkey

Quick and dirty answers:

Boyd's At one thumbhole ( i think that's what it is called but its a more pistol grip lamnent stock with adjustability) but the regular At one is pretty nice as well. Lighter then what you have now for sure. I have the same Stock on my 12FV 308 and it is definitely a beast to carry but a dream to shoot. The Pro varmint is also a nice stock from Boyd.
Old December 5, 2020, 07:18 PM   #19
Road_Clam

I have the Savage 12 F-TR with a Palma 3 screw action. Oddball action and tough to find stocks for . I ended up buying a 95% finished stock from Richard's Microfit Stocks. Not going to lie, a LOT of work involved, but what a NICE outcome when finished.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

Old December 6, 2020, 07:02 AM   #20
jetinteriorguy

I’ve thought about the At One but they look unfinished to me, the edges are kind of blocky instead of being nice and rounded. I’m just going off the pictures on the web site so I may be wrong. I’m beginning to think I should just replace the barrel for now and keep the Choate and maybe later this winter or next spring start looking at stocks again.
Old December 7, 2020, 03:41 PM   #21
stagpanther

I bought an At-1...best I can say is nope, won't catch me buying another one.
Old December 7, 2020, 05:38 PM   #22
RC20

My brother has an At 1, cheesy plasticy thing, hate it (he loves it of course)

Me? Some years back I got a Savage 110 in a 30-06 that had a TH Feathwerigth stock (thunmhole, made by Boyds for Savage)

I put a bull barrel on the 06, carved out the channel, best feeling stock of the 3 I have (I have another one on the way in Featherweight )

Where it counts is the bed area and those are the same.

They say you can't mill down the center stock to take a bull barrel but that is bull. You can and still leave a ledge on the sides. Its not thick, but its there and is fine.

Looks gangbusters nice and it feels better than the target stocks (one I had to cut the right side down to allow my earmuffs to ft over the stock)

The Boyds Savage fit is almost perfect (I relieved the tang area, the rest was spot on good for fit), you can get a pillar on the front and a lot of wood choices.

I get more compliment on the 06 setup, its a Nutmeg stock, people just love it as I do.

The new one will be Jardine, high gloss.
Old December 8, 2020, 12:44 PM   #23
ndking1126

Just for reference, I have a savage 10 with 26" Shilen varmint barrel, b&c medalist (non-adjustable) stock, vx-3i 4-16x scope and it weights 13.2 lbs without bullets or bipod. I second the recommendation that a shorter barrel is your best way to shed weight.. at 100 yards the lost velocity will never be missed or even noticed. Itll also be more handy when maneuvering around other shooters, through doors, etc.
Old December 9, 2020, 06:52 AM   #24
jetinteriorguy

I agree. Probably the best place to start is with the barrel and then just quit being such a wimp and try it with the Choate stock. I am considering a heavy sporter barrel though since all my shooting is at an indoor 100 yd range and I can just let the barrel cool between shots. Either way whether a heavy sporter or varmint profile I’m thinking a 20” barrel would suffice.
Old December 9, 2020, 07:16 AM   #25
stagpanther

One last thing about a stock like the MDT: Because it is one-piece rigid aluminum--if you ever shoot just off a bipod instead of bags/rests it is going to offer a superior platform for that IMO.