The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2008, 04:14 PM   #1
marine0341

First time reloader

I am just getting into reloading and I am ab bit in a pickle.

Here is my first prob- I bought all the supply's needed to reload and I read through the lee book, I can't find a powder charge for a Hornady's 55 grain
.224 V-MAX With IMR 4198. (I am shooting an M4 1/9 twist)

I have already cleaned and sized the brass and put the CCI primers in. How do you get the primers out of the brass that I muffed (like primers in backwards) is it possible to save the brass that I primed wrong?

Second Prob-I bought Ranier SWC bullets for my Ruger .45 apc. I heard the SWC get caught on the lip with respect to the slide action. Should I even load these or take them back? I have 500 of them.
Old December 18, 2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Qtiphky

As for the loads with that specific powder, I would go to the manufactureres website or the bullet manufactureres website and look for updated load data with that combination.

As for the brass with badly seated primers, I don't know of anything that you could do to safely remove them. I would find some way of disposing of them that is legal and safe. Safe today, here tomorrow.

As for the SWC from Rainier, I haven't heard this. I have used JHP from Rainier and they worked perfectly for my 9mm, 10mm, 45 ACP and 40 S&W.
Old December 18, 2008, 05:27 PM   #3
crowbeaner

19.0 grains with the 55 grainer to start with in the .223. Work up to 21.0 and have fun. This is from Hodgdon #26.
Old December 18, 2008, 05:34 PM   #4
CrustyFN

Here is my first prob- I bought all the supply's needed to reload and I read through the lee book, I can't find a powder charge for a Hornady's 55 grain
.224 V-MAX With IMR 4198. (I am shooting an M4 1/9 twist)
I would also go with the powder manufactures recomendation on their web site if you don't have it in a manual.

I have already cleaned and sized the brass and put the CCI primers in. How do you get the primers out of the brass that I muffed (like primers in backwards) is it possible to save the brass that I primed wrong?
You can lube them and run them through the sizing die or a universal decaping die very gently and the primer will come out. I have done it before without problems and have also reused the primer.

Second Prob-I bought Ranier SWC bullets for my Ruger .45 apc. I heard the SWC get caught on the lip with respect to the slide action. Should I even load these or take them back? I have 500 of them.
I don't have any experience with the Rainier but use lead SWC in my RIA 45 and never had a feeding problem. I would try a couple if it was me.
Rusty
Old December 19, 2008, 10:12 AM   #5
marine0341

I ran into another issue last night

Ok so I used the Lee POWDER MEASURE 5cc + 1cc= 18.9grains and then I put the powder into a Lee scale and it measured @18.2 grains. So now I am exclusively using the scale and taking the Powder measure back for my money.
Next I filled the cartidge to make my first 55 grain V-MAX .224 bullet then seated the bullet.(By the way I measured the weight of the bullets and they are not all equal).
Next I went to crimp and since I have never done this before I ended up crimping the mouth of the case and it made a line around the mouth, well as I read on I guess you can't crimp it unless it has groove,didn't know that!

Next I measured the overall length and by the Lee book it states 2.260. My factory made ammo I measured was at 2.240 and the first round I ever made as mentioned above was at 2.235 So I guees I seated it to deep?

Any advice would be helpful!......thanks guys
Old December 19, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Quote:
as I read on
Advice: Read first, load last.

2.26" is the MAXIMUM length to go in an AR magazine. Nothing wrong with 2.235"
Old December 19, 2008, 10:41 AM   #7
rdalrymple

Jim gives good advice! Please take it.

The V-Max bullets should be very consistent, in fact they should be exactly 55 grains. You should make sure your scale is level and then calibrate it. If you don't have calibration weights, make sure it's on zero when there's nothing in the pan, and use one of those bullets to make sure it balances on 55.

If the bullets don't ALL weigh 55, figure out why before you use that scale to measure your powder.
Old December 19, 2008, 12:02 PM   #8
ZX10Aviator

the 4198 is a longer extruded powder, its not the best metering in my pro auto disc either, but its very close on each charge, as I randomly double check them.

Im running 21grains of IMR4198 in my .223 mini14 with a 55grain fmj