The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 23, 2006, 09:03 AM   #1
wacki

Beretta > Benelli?

I've shot a lot with the Beretta (teknys+Urika) and the Benelli (sport, super sport, + M2) auto's lately. It seems to me that the Beretta's are much better built autos. Then at the club yesterday I had several other people tell me the same thing.

Does anyone agree with this? I'm curious why beretta doesn't make any military/tactical models.
Old March 23, 2006, 12:31 PM   #2
johnbt

Don't they still make the M3P and RS202 M1-M2?

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/6144/shotguns.htm

Old March 23, 2006, 12:42 PM   #3
mathman

Better Built? How so...I mean in what way do you think that Berettas are better built than Benellis? They are heavier...so they might 'feel' heavier duty to you...they do recoil less since they are gas operated (and heavier) as opposed to recoil operated (and lighter).

I guess if I knew I was going to shoot a lot of rounds, I would want a Beretta, but when the chips are down and I need an auto that is going to go bang every time, I'll take the Benelli (even with its harsher recoil).

Benellis are known (by most) to be one of the best auto shotguns available...as are Berettas...take your pick.
Old March 23, 2006, 04:17 PM   #4
wacki

Quote:
but when the chips are down and I need an auto that is going to go bang every time,
Why do you say this? Are Benelli's really more reliable? If so by how much?

I say beretta's > benelli simply because of the way then felt and shot. The weight had nothing to do with it. It just seemed like it was put together better.
Old March 23, 2006, 04:23 PM   #5
mathman

Although modern gas operated systems are very reliable, there is still the potential for more to 'go wrong' than with Benelli's recoil system. The recoil system has fewer parts (no pistons, etc...) and therefore has less parts that can fail. Also, they are much cleaner...

The only real cost with the Benelli is the fact that they are expensive on the front end (when you buy it) and the felt recoil is more than any other shotgun. The M2 is supposed to be designed to take away some of that recoil, but I have not shot one to give my opinion.

I do have an M1 Field in 12 gauge...I love it. It has been flawlessly reliable and is really easy to disassemble and clean. For hunting it is the perfect auto shotgun IMO...because when you hunt, you don't shoot as much as when you are shooting skeet, for example. So, my shoulder can take it.

Benellis are wonderfully simple shotguns and they work all the time.
Old March 23, 2006, 04:33 PM   #6
wacki

Quote:
The M2 is supposed to be designed to take away some of that recoil, but I have not shot one to give my opinion.
I'll have to give it another shot. I can't seem to hit anything with an M2 though. yes, I know it's all about the fit but I hit everything with a beretta of the same size.
Old March 23, 2006, 06:30 PM   #7
oletymer

Beretta problabley does't have tactical models of the gas guns because they own Benelli and there is no need.
Old March 23, 2006, 08:14 PM   #8
kudu

Quote:
Beretta problabley does't have tactical models of the gas guns because they own Benelli and there is no need.
Exactly.

I would take a Beretta over a Benelli any day on a clays field, and if my life depended on it I would take an 870 over either.
Old March 23, 2006, 11:41 PM   #9
mathman

kudu,

I couldn't agree more:

shooting clays/plinking = Beretta

hunting (carrying the gun) = Benelli

self defense = 870

Old March 24, 2006, 09:35 AM   #10
HSMITH

I think the Beretta is, on average, a more reliable gun. I think the Beretta and the Benelli are about equal in terms of mechanical fitting and quality of components. Give me a choice and I will take a Beretta every time.
Old March 24, 2006, 01:08 PM   #11
wacki

Quote:
I think the Beretta is, on average, a more reliable gun. I think the Beretta and the Benelli are about equal in terms of mechanical fitting and quality of components. Give me a choice and I will take a Beretta every time.
What do you base this claim on?

Do you realize the difference between the two as recoil vs. gas?
Old March 24, 2006, 03:26 PM   #12
270Win

I've only handled a Beretta once on the range, and never fired it. I have shot many rounds from a Benelli Black Eagle II... the Beretta had better balance to it, and was slightly more ergonomic for my own shoulder. The Benelli had better weight, and seemed slightly better built - tighter tolerances, less wiggle in moving objects, etc.

For what it's worth, at the trap range I go to, virtually no one else but my friend uses a Benelli...but there are very many Berettas.
Old March 24, 2006, 05:36 PM   #13
HSMITH

wacki, I base this on having owned and shot at LEAST two of both brands EXTENSIVELY. Call it a conservative 15K rounds through my two Benellis and at least that through a 390 and a 391 each.

I well understand the difference between the action types. Please re-read my initial post with the above information in mind.
Old March 24, 2006, 11:44 PM   #14
mathman

HSMITH,

Did you have more failure to feed/fire/cycle through your Benellis than you did through your Beretta? I'm just wondering...