The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 4, 2013, 05:12 AM   #26
MLeake

I was never really into road cycling (aside from motorcycles), so for me bicycles were usually for singletrack. Drag and weight didn't seem to be issues for that, so a Camelback was not an uncommon sight.

I don't see them often on road cyclists, I will admit.

I'm surprised by the guys who find fanny packs comfortable while riding. I don't, at all, but people aren't all built the same.
Old August 4, 2013, 07:08 AM   #27
P-990

I've always wondered if something like a Kel-Tec P-32 would fit in my back jersey pocket when riding. But normally the pockets are full of snacks, cell phone, house key, maybe a spare water bottle, etc. And there's always the possibility I might ride through the friendly Commonwealth of Massachusetts, so bicycle CCW isn't high on the priority list...

As for all the suggestions for packs, fanny packs, Camelbaks, etc. Yuck. From the sounds of the OP he's on an aggressive position road bike. A fanny pack is just going to get in the way and a Camelbak is worse. Anything not on the bike or tucked in the jersey pockets for that kind of riding is beyond irritating in my experience. So back to my suggestion of what might fit in a pocket, anything light and flat with a good pocket holster, say, a P-32, LCP, etc?

Yes, we dress goofy because it's functional (and kind of a uniform). Same reason why I shoot Highpower wearing that "goofy" jacket; it works. You wouldn't play hockey without pads and a helmet. Just for cyclists participating in our sport involves being on public roads. Pretty much explains the concept in my mind.
Old August 4, 2013, 02:34 PM   #28
Stevie-Ray

I wear my Glock 26, (good one-hand gun) OWB in a Uncle Mike's Kydex, (good retention qualities in case of falls) covered by a safety vest. P32 BUG in back pocket. Normally, at night. I wear no Lycra, (not built for it) but even if I did, I'd change nothing except putting on a web belt, instead of my normal leather.
Old August 6, 2013, 10:42 PM   #29
Laz

A bit off-topic but my comments about wanting to "look like a cyclist" were as much in friendly jest as anything. I ride regularly but not as aggressively as some. I do occasionally exceed 20 MPH but more regularly am going 13-17 MPH. Higher speeds do, indeed, create some annoying and drag-producing "flapping". Jeans would be a nightmare on any longish ride.

At my age and station in life, I don't expect to join the Lycra brigade but do agree the clothing is functional, not goofy. Usually... . There are those who should not be seen in Lycra though I encourage anyone and everyone to ride a bicycle.

I am going to have to give consideration to bicycle carry since I live in Illinois and we finally passed CCW, though the state will drag implementation out as long as they can.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old August 6, 2013, 11:28 PM   #30
TayMan52

Re: Bicycle carry

Kinda like a camelback i guess, but not on your back.
http://www.glockstore.com/concealmen.../urban-strider
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1375849697792.jpg (41.5 KB, 23 views)
Old August 7, 2013, 05:56 AM   #31
P-990

I'm still leaning toward a small, flat autoloader. My dad had a P-32 for a few years and I remember it worked well and was extremely compact, smaller than my wallet. In a wallet holster, it would be a good choice for the role.

Off topic: Agreed with you Laz. I always encourage people to ride a bike, not necessarily to try to do it like I do though. Admittedly, one of my girlfriend's friends commented on a picture of me, "See, he looks like he should be wearing Spandex." But getting out and having fun is a good thing, no matter what.

Back on topic: I used to carry a pepper spray as an option. It's smaller and lighter than a firearm and a simple round tube just looks like another piece of flotsam in a pocket. Another possible option.
Old August 7, 2013, 10:37 AM   #32
MLeake

The Lycra is the challenge.

Went for a bicycle ride yesterday, not in cyclist garb. Arcteryx cargo shorts; Dri-Fit T under loose outer shirt. No problem carrying CZ Custom SDP in a White Hat IWB for a 45 minute ride.
Old August 7, 2013, 06:55 PM   #33
BigJimP

When I cycle....I will sometimes put a small revolver(J frame S&W in .357 mag) or semi-auto(like a Sig 239) in an "under saddle - seat post mounted bag" ...there are lots of models out there...and I prefer the type with a quick disconnect.

same place I carry an extra tube, some basic tools, a rain cape, $200 in currency, ID, etc....
----------------
If someone ....tried to knock me off the bike / take the bike, etc...its really quick to grap that under saddle pack...maybe as quick as reaching into your jersey pocket.

If I thought I was in a really bad area, where it was likely that I would need it quicker / or not want it on the frame...( then I'd put it in my jersey pocket)...but there just isn't much room there.../ and its really visible. But then, I have to ask myself ....what the heck am I doing cycling thru an area that is that bad..../ must be somewhere else to go...and have a better day.
-------------
drop me a personal note, if you want the name off the bag that I use on my road bike and my wife's bike.../ they're several yrs old...but I think they're still around ( European I think ..) - and I bought them at a higher end bike shop - not the typical big box operation...
Old August 7, 2013, 09:00 PM   #34
bonefamily

Thanks for the replies, advice, and experiences to everyone. I'm currently contimplating picking up one of the little NAA Mini revolvers in .22mag. If so, it would surely change how I would need to carry it while riding. The only other thing that is in my jersey pocket is a power bar or cliff bar, and that only takes up one of the pockets - I have both two and three pocket jerseys. I keep my cell phone and ID in my seat bag, which is quick release (Fizik). The NAA in a holster might fit nicely in one of the jersey pockets, don't know yet.

Thanks again to all for all the help!
Old August 8, 2013, 03:00 PM   #35
Cosmodragoon

This presents a challenge in more ways than one. First, you need to make sure that your choice of weapon and holster can stand up to sweat and the possibility of rain. (I believe the LCP will be a good option here.) Second, consider going custom. This is obviously important to you so the effort and cost, within reason, should be worth it.

The idea of a fanny pack has been floated but so have some problems. Just spitballin' here but what if you gutted a fanny pack of appropriate design and sewed or otherwise fitted it over an existing holster. That would open up a wide range of belt and harness options for commercially available holsters that would otherwise be open carry options. It should also help with the problem of fanny packs being looser and prone to jostling with heavier merchandise in them. Essentially, the main pocket becomes an attached shell for your holster with easy zipper access and you still gain use of any forward or side pockets on the pack for other items like a phone or your license.
Old August 8, 2013, 05:14 PM   #36
deputy tom

Back when I could ride a bike on the trail and on single track I carried a G-19 in a fanny pack with the pack on my back-side. It also carried my cell phone, wallet, spare mag., and car keys. YMMV. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old August 8, 2013, 07:28 PM   #37
1hogfan83

I sewed an uncle mikes holster into my fanny pack. It works well with my HK, and im sure you could use whatever generic holster for your rig.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old August 9, 2013, 08:12 AM   #38
gesimon62

This thread caught my attention as I am also trying to figure out a way to carry while I ride. I was going to use a frame pack until a friend suggested I needed to keep the gun on my person, not my bike. All of the suggestions have been great and I especially like the t shirt with the built in holster. Yes, it may be a little hotter but when you are going all out for 30 miles or so, you can't get much hotter anyway. I'm gonna have to experiment...
Old August 10, 2013, 04:55 PM   #39
k9barco

Hill people gear kit bag is what I use.
Old August 12, 2013, 02:26 PM   #40
38Mike

Instead of a holster T shirt; have you looked into a Kangaroo holster? Sort of a belly band that rides just below the chest, holster is under your arm and there's an elastic strap that goes over holster side shoulder and attaches to "band" with velcro....

I haven't worn mine bike riding, but last year I had my J frame revolver in said holster when I managed to tip over our canoe on a river up in Michigan; gun stayed put through all that madness, I guess a testimony of holsters retention........should be OK for something as small and flat as a LCP...

Might be worth a look....

Mike
Old August 12, 2013, 08:27 PM   #41
Johannes_Paulsen

Agree that off-body carry is not the way to go here. If you're forced off and someone steals your bike, you just gave them a gun. If you're forced off and the goblin continues the attack, you're separated from your sidearm.

I wear a pair of biking shorts (with chamois) underneath a pair of 5.11 tactical shorts. I wear a Glock 19 in an OWB holster from TT Gunleather (the DDOX). Then a regular old t-shirt or a safety vest covers the gun. Even can carry two spare magazines, too.

How long/far do you usually go?
Old August 13, 2013, 07:43 PM   #42
double bogey

When I ride the local singletrack, I usually don't carry. No way to conceal, and cargo shorts hang up on the seat and restrict my ability to move around for technical areas. So I wear bike shorts (like bathing suit with padding).

When I can't get to the trails and ride road, I wear cargo shorts, with a Bianchi #5 and a G23, with a bike shirt covering the gun. I feel the need to carry more on the road, as I usually ride late at night to beat some of the heat. And I only ride residential streets, as I can easily do 15 or so miles and only have to cross major streets.