The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2013, 06:50 PM   #1
dayman

A tale of 2 Glocks.

So, as some of you may have read, I traded my never used BG380 for a well used gen2 Glock 22. I figured I'd see what all the ruckus was regarding both Glocks and .40's in one go.
It took me awhile, but I eventually caved, gave up on catching the Wal-Mart delivery truck, and bought an overpriced box of .40 from the local guy.
So this is my take on both.

.40:
Honestly I didn't really notice it being "snappy". It just kind of felt like shooting a pistol. I can't say that I fell in love with it, but I certainly didn't have a problem with it either. Maybe if I had 2 of the same gun in 9/40 or 40/45 I'd be able to notice a difference, but I don't and I couldn't.
I'll probably still lean twords 9mm based on the price, but it was gratifying to know that I apparently enjoy shooting all of the big 3.

Glock:
I refuse to turn into a "fan boy", but I have to say that I really, really liked it. The size of the handle really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, and (for me, we're only talking about me) the grip angle is just about perfect. Everything lines up really fast/naturally, and I don't seem to have to make a conscious effort to line my sights back up for a follow up. It's like pointing a finger.
I liked it so much in fact that the next day I picked up a new gen4 19(thus the title). I like the 19 equally well. The finger grooves actually fit my fingers, the "medium" grip insert almost forces me to have a "firm handshake" grip, and the handle is just long enough. I paid pretty close to msrp, but it's a sellers market right now, and I did manage to convince the owner of the shop to throw in a 31 round mag - obnoxious and silly, but sure to impress my Massachusetts cousins when they come up to play.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the 19 is destined to supplant the PPQ as my "go to" gun - with the XDS still serving as my warm weather CCW.
Don't get me wrong, I still love my PPQ, but there are a million G19's out there so if it ever gets dropped, scuffed up, or otherwise damaged it's no big deal.

So, that's it. I now "get it". I kind of think my "fantastic plastic" collection is complete.
Back to saving up for SS Ruger revolvers, or maybe a 1911....

Last edited by dayman; May 22, 2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: tale not tail
Old May 22, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that the 19 is destined to supplant the PPQ as my "go to" gun
That sums up my Glock 19 vs my old PPQ (which I gave to my best friend as a gift)

Nice call though..A Glock 22 was my first Glock. As of now, it's one of my least favorite only because it's a .40 and I've been sticking to 9mm and .45 mainly.

But congrats and welcome!
Old May 22, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

edit....

Hi;
It's a tale not a tail.
CF
Old May 22, 2013, 07:24 PM   #4
dayman

tale

Err... So it is. Maybe I'll throw a lanyard on one of them to make it fit.
Old May 22, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
arch308

I've owned a couple Glock .40s, a Gen2 22 & Gen3 23. Nothing wrong with them or the round. I just didn't feel the need for them. Sold the 22 and gave the 23 to my son.
The 40 does seem to recoil differently from a 9 or 45. Snappy covers it as well as anything. I didn't find it distasteful. Just different. Since I reload all my ammo now I didn't want to gear up for 40, as in one less caliber to stock up on.
Just don't make me decide between my G19 or G21. I like them both equally.
Old May 23, 2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Dan-O

Get yourself a 40-9 conversion barrel and some G17 mags and a G31 barrel and you'll have 3 Glocks in one. Now that, would be quite a tale.