The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2000, 03:57 AM   #1
DOCSpanky

I am anxiously awaiting my new RCBS Rockchucker. I am still striving to awnser some questions that are nagging me. I have already aordered a ZIP trimming tool, and the LEE autoprime. (Saw too many complaints about the RCBS hand primer). Now who makes the best tool for cleaning out primer pockets and the little holes the primer uses to access the powder charge?

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!
Old June 12, 2000, 07:56 AM   #2
DAL

I use an RCBS tool for that, not necessarily because it's the best (maybe it is, and maybe it isn't--I haven't used any others), but because the Wal-Mart nearest my house carries it. It seems to get the job done.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

[This message has been edited by DAL (edited June 12, 2000).]
Old June 12, 2000, 09:06 AM   #3
Hutch

Doc, I have a Lee primer pocket cleaner, but I have recently been able to use the Lyman pocket cleaner and flash-hole uniformer. They are MUCH easier to use, altho' the principle is the same. I'd vote for Lyman.

Old June 12, 2000, 03:04 PM   #4
Sisco

I have the Lee pocket cleaner and found it tedious to grip when doing a large batch of cases. I found a palm-sized piece of wood, drilled a hole in the middle that the tool would press in to, sanded it smooth and painted it. The hole needs to be small enough that the tool fits snugly enough that it doesn't turn but not so tight that you can't pull it out to switch between small & large primer pockets.
DAL- your WalMart carries reloading supplies? Not sure if my local store manager can spell "reloading" ;-)

[This message has been edited by SK (edited June 12, 2000).]
Old June 12, 2000, 03:44 PM   #5
Paul B.

DOCSpanky. Dremel has a cordless hand tool that takes a brush (wire) shaped much like the ones used on the hand operated RCBS primer pocket cleaner. Makes real quick work of cleaning primer pockets. I don't bother with the primer hole though on handgun rounds, but use a flash hole reamer on rifle cases. I don't know why I do it, because I can't see any improvement in accuracy. Probably would show up on a bench rest rifle, but doesn't seem to make any difference on my sporting rifles.
Paul B.
Old June 12, 2000, 06:29 PM   #6
DAL

SK, yes, my Wal-Mart carries reloading supplies, oddly enough. The actual reloading equipment (single-stage presses, balance beam scales, dies, case trimmers, etc.) is all RCBS. They also carry IMR, Alliant, Hogdon, and Winchester powders; CCI primers; and Speer, Hornady, and Sierra bullets.

This is the only Wal-Mart I've seen that carries reloading supplies; in fact, as I was looking at some of the merchandise one day, a guy from another state made a comment to his girlfriend(?) that he'd never seen a Wal-Mart with reloading stuff in his state (somewhere back east).

The only reason I can think of them carrying this stuff is that maybe the manager of the sporting goods dept. is into reloading. Who knows? I'm just glad they do and it's only about a mile from my house.
DAL

P.S. The prices are quite competitive with many other places

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA
Old June 12, 2000, 11:22 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For about forty years, I used a screwdriver which was just-smaller than the pocket. I bought a bunch of used reloading stuff, and there was a specific tool to clean primer pockets. It works almost as well as the screwdriver--which, after 50 years, is sorta like an old friend.

I have yet to touch a flash-hole, but I don't shoot bench rest competition.

FWIW, Art
Old June 12, 2000, 11:51 PM   #8
bk40

doc, Sinclair Int'l is where you need to be shopping.

flash hole deburring tool #DB1000- http://www.sinclairintl.com/reload.html

I use their primer pocket uniformer to clean primer pockets. Chuck it in a cordless drill. Uniforms the pockets on first use, cleans the pockets thereafter. #UN-8002 Large Rifle

[This message has been edited by bk40 (edited June 13, 2000).]
Old June 13, 2000, 06:58 AM   #9
Bud Helms

I use RCBS primer pocket cleaner (it's a short stiff brush and comes in lg & sm) and a Lyman flash hole uniformer. Both are hand tools.
Old June 13, 2000, 03:13 PM   #10
Patrick Graham

I no longer use anything but flat head screwdrivers. I got a set of small ACE screwdrivers, they seem to be the best tools for the job.
Old June 13, 2000, 03:35 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

For years I used the Lyman pocket cleaner which works very well. Like several have said, it isn't much different from a plain old blade screwdriver of the right size.

However, my wife gave me the RCBS motorized cleaning, chamfering, deburring station for Christmas '98 and I haven't needed anything else since for any of these operations. I can do all the necessary operations in one sitting in about 1/4 the time it used to take and do it better to boot. For straight wall cases (handgun) only the pocket cleaning station is used. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have bought myself. But now, knowing how well it works, I sure would replace it if it ever broke. You get the idea.
Old June 13, 2000, 10:09 PM   #12
Big Bunny

Well I'd...try the adjustable LYMAN tool for flash-hole 'uniforming', it has a very comfy handle too, but the little LEE tool mini-"screwdriver" while fiddly for pocket cleaning ...works well!

Congratulations on buying a RC/RCBS press...you will not regret it.

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)
Old June 13, 2000, 10:38 PM   #13
alan

Doc:

I believe it was Sinclair International that made something called "a baby crockagator". It is a piece of ss rod, turned down to large and small primer pocket diameters. The ends are checkered, and when turned by hand, do a fine job of cleaning rifle primer pockets. I almost never clean handgun cartridge primer pockets, Does not seem to be all that much build-up. As for cleaning the flash hole, never tried it.
Old June 14, 2000, 08:09 PM   #14
Turk

Doc,

I've been reloading around 30 years and have used numerous manufactures primer pocket cleaners and I have to agree with Art Eatman using a small screwdriver works just fine.

Turk
Old June 14, 2000, 08:28 PM   #15
Ruben Nasser

I use the small and super inexpensive Lee primer pocket tool, with two ends shaped like a sharpened flat screwdriver for both large and small primers, and I find it very fast and convenient.
Old June 14, 2000, 11:23 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Alan: Funny you should mention it! In some used reloading stuff I ppicked up at a gunshow was one of those little gizmos, and I just now looked and sure enough, it sez "Sinclair" on the side. Nuthin' 'bout old crocks and gators, though...

Works just fine! (Won't sell my screwdriver, of course. )

, Art