The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 16, 2006, 07:16 PM   #1
sammy69

San Deigo area question shooting

Hello all. I have been to a great local range just outside Oceanside but am looking for the closest place to shoot outdoors that is not a range. A place I can blow away evil water bottles, eggs ect... Thanks, Sammy
Old April 16, 2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Dilbert

Back in the day

When I used to live in California, not that long ago, we'd drive about an hour or so east into the middle of nowhere. Although I'm not quite sure it was legal we never got in trouble.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old April 25, 2006, 01:08 AM   #3
jsigone

I don't think there is a place in Oside that is rural enough to do that. There is a range right off the 76 by the airport that is pretty cheap and big, 25 lanes. You might have to drive to the desert to do what you want, but the gas money there can be spent in the range.
Old April 25, 2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Smoke Screen

+1 to the above post. I like the indoor range @ oside cause you can rent and try before you buy. The best thing to do is drive straight east like everyone says for a couple hrs and make it your own place. I used to go down de luz rd in fallbrook and shoot w/friends by the bank of the San Luis Rey River. (we'd clean up of course afterwards), But we also went out on Saturdays and just made a day of driving and shooting and having fun. The world is your oyster bro!
Old April 28, 2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Vinagre

Check out this link as to the quaestion of rural shooting in San Diego County:

http://www.sdsheriff.net/faqs_rural.html
Randall Knives (Mdl 1 & 2)
Old April 28, 2006, 01:18 PM   #6
TexasCop

used to live in SD, and kitchen creek got shut down before I moved. You might look up the Escondido Fish and Game Association, they have an outdoor range out by the lake east of Escondido. Other than that I think you'll be going indoors.
Old May 21, 2006, 07:51 PM   #7
duckmart

San Diego outdoor shooting

Yes there is a place where you can shoot in the open area, but it is a drive. Take Hy 8 east to a place called Jacumba. It is a little town next to the Mexican boarder about an hour east of El Cajon Ca. There is about six or seven places that you can set up your targets and blast away. I usually try my new toys out there, it's fun and you feel like your in control of your own time.
Old May 21, 2006, 08:09 PM   #8
casingpoint

You should be able to carry and shoot your guns in the nearby Cleveland National Forest east of San Diego, unless it is subject to some local restrictions contrary to standard Forest Service policy.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/

Click on Shooting under Recreational Activities.