The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 3, 1999, 06:57 PM   #1
Senator

I think you guys have convinced me to give a vest a try (is that my wife wailing in the background? ) Where's a good place to buy one. I've found a few online that look OK:

http://orvis.com/store/product_lines...p?pf_id=JC560L

http://www.ldccustomknives.com/vest.htm

http://www.gujermeuli.ch/wcorresp.htm

Have you guys found anything else online?

------------------
Kelly

Deo Vindice

Old February 3, 1999, 11:54 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Someone mentioned Banana Republic...I have one from there. Royal Robbins makes a good lightweight vest. Got one from there, too. Van Heusen makes the photo-like vest without the excess pockets, sold by Gunsite....it's probably the cheapest of the three....also happens to be my favorite.
Hope this helps.
Rich
Old February 4, 1999, 07:26 PM   #3
chris in mo

Senator...There is a company which specializes in vests for concealed carry. They are not photographres vests with all the pockets, but they have some features that makes them more suited to ccw than some of the other vests available. The web page is www.concealedcarry.com
Old February 4, 1999, 08:27 PM   #4
GLV

Senator, Vests are made in lots of qualities, just like guns. Suggest you look at the quality in person. The type of materal, weight, lining, length, appearance, color, are all very important. I think I have about 15 to 20. Some are just for the range, some for winter, some for summer. Some are for dress, some are casual, etc.

I have never been able to buy a high quality vest for less than 50 to 60 bucks, and have paid 100+ for very good ones -- and that was several years ago. Many of the cheap ones are TOO SHORT! When you shop, wear your firearm, and have someone ' look you over ' to be sure you are getting what you want.

Last, don't want to argue with Rich, but the gunsite vest is not the best. Check Gander Mountain, or one of the speciality houses -- Dunns, etc. GLV
Old February 4, 1999, 10:25 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

GLV-
Don't give it a second thought. You weren't "arguing" with me; only misquoting. I never said that the Van Heusen vest was "the best"...just that it was the cheapest and "my favorite".

Like you, I have reasons for personal preference. I thought Senator's request for options was pretty straight forward and he might be depended on to understand that all vests do not have the same specs.

As for specialty houses, I thought I mentioned Royal Robbins and Banana Republic?
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 02-04-99).]
Old February 5, 1999, 09:42 PM   #6
GLV

Rich, it has been years since I have found anything worth buying at our Indianapolis Eddie Bauer or Banana Republic. Both companies have seemed to move away from the gear I like.

We always stop at the Gander Mountain in Duluth on our way to Canada. I have found some good and long vests at this store. We have a local chain in Indianapolis, Gallans (spelling) that does a good job.

The biggest single problem I find is lack of length. If carrying IWB, it may not matter, but at just 6', I like my vest to fall a full 8" below my belt.

Sorry I misquoted you. GLV
Old February 5, 1999, 09:50 PM   #7
Bushwhacker

Hey Guys, what do you think of this one;

www.ibcnet.com/dir/sercurity/personal/armor.htm

Be great for the plainclothes LEO.Only set back is the cost

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

[This message has been edited by Flyerm14 (edited 02-05-99).]
Old February 5, 1999, 11:18 PM   #8
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Flyer-
Bad link.

George-
You're correct and I spoke a bit too soon. Banana Republic and Bauer have changed considerably over the years....but I still like Royal Robbins stuff. I will check out Gander Mountain, though. Thanks.
Rich
Old February 5, 1999, 11:30 PM   #9
Rob Pincus

well, unbeknownst to me, since I had nothing to contribute to this thread until today... you guys have been all over the Banana Republic issue.

Well, While wandering the mall today with my wife I happened into the BR store and say a heavy, multi-pocketed, good looking photog/safari vest. I thought of the other thread and my stated intention to evention get a gun-geek vest and Whammo.. $88.00 later I owned what I find to be a rather well made and not-unnattractive piece of gear.

(of course, we had to buy other stuff while we were there.. mostly for the wife...)

Senator,
Put my vote down for BR.

------------------
-Essayons
Old February 6, 1999, 07:07 AM   #10
ATM

Put my vote in for Ex Officio, their "vest" is part of a jacket, sleeves zip off. This was the first vest I found that was available long enough to hide belt cary, without having a huge shoulder hole. Specifically I like it beacause I can carry the sleeves in a pocket, and put them on (without taking the jacket off) when the temperature or weather changes. Also it comes lined with a synthetic (polypro?) mesh to keep it from sticking to you. Also has a hood.

------------------
Freedom is not Free
Old February 6, 1999, 07:36 AM   #11
Bushwhacker

Sorry guys, don't know what went wrong but here is the full link I put it in just as it appears on the browser.

http://www.ibcnet.com/dir/security/personal/armor.htm

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

[This message has been edited by Flyerm14 (edited 02-06-99).]