The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2000, 02:30 PM   #1
Morgan

Thanks to Coinneach, I've been bitten by the scattergun bug, and have tons of questions. I've been unable to find a good source for answers to things like what the difference is between upland game shells and target shells, what the exact size of each size of shot is, and what the hell is a dram equivalent!?

Is there a good website or book that will answer all my questions?
Old January 25, 2000, 05:07 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Your local library will have boooks on shotgunning under Dewey Decimal System # 799. As for the other questions....

Dram equivalent is a holdover from the black powder days,when powder was measured in drams, just like Whiskey(G). The higher the number,Load weight being equal, the higher the velocity.

Game loads are relatively low cost, and feature less round,soft(pure lead sometimes) shot. Trap loads are made to tighter lomits, and have harder shot that do not deform quite as easily. Deformed shot leave the pattern quickly and lose velocity faster.

As to shot sizes, the larger the number, the smaller the shot. # 8 is smaller than #6 shot, like a 20 ga is smaller than a 12.

Any more queries, sing out, the only stupid questions are those that don't get asked...
Old January 25, 2000, 05:21 PM   #3
Morgan

Thanks. Between you, Rec.Guns and Remington's website I think I've learned enough to be dangerous.

One more question, though - is a Handicap dram load a 3 dram load?
Old January 25, 2000, 05:42 PM   #4
K80Geoff

Some websites that may help:

www.shotgunreport.com

Check out the technoid, he has a lot of information on chokes, shot patterns, loads,dram equivalents and other inconsequential drivel.

www.gunshop.com

This site deals mostly with double shotguns, but there is a wealth of information on shotguns if you will dig for it.

www.shootingsportsman.com

Great magazine for wingshooters, the only mag I do not throw away. Beautifully illustrated and has some of the best game recipes you will find.

www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com

Mostly trapshooting but also has other shotgunning articles.

www.shotgunsports.com

Shotgunners BBS. You will find shotgunners to be a yawn compared to TFL. but the site may have usefull information.

Also look for Double Gun Journal in your local Borders or Barnes & Noble. This quarterly journal(Too classy to call it a magazine) has a wealth of information about shotguns. A warning, it ain't cheap, and don't even look at the prices of the guns for sale inside.

Two books;

Clay Target Handbook by Jerry Meyer
Taking More Birds by Dan Carlisle

That should about cover it!

Geoff Ross

Old January 26, 2000, 06:40 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dunno about that Handicap load, Morgan,I don't use it. Practice and dove loads are AA trap loads, Federal High Brass for most everything else, Remington Duplex Turkey loads.
Old January 26, 2000, 04:03 PM   #6
Morgan

Thanks guys!

BTW, anyone who hasn't yet should check out the Technoid - good information with a sense of humor.
Old January 27, 2000, 01:58 PM   #7
Shok

Morgan,

Lyman's Shotshell Reloading book is one of the best resources. Paperback $25.

Shok