The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 21, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
M1ke10191

UTG Fixed Sights worth it? If not, what are?

Hey guys,

I can get a pair of UTG fixed front and rear sights for ~$50 ($60 if I go with a carry handle rear). Is there any reason I should avoid them? I can not justify spending hundreds for sights since my gun is a range toy. They seem fine minus the bulging knobs on the side which I don't care for.

My budget is around $100 total. If UTG is truly junk, which sights would you guys recommend?
Old November 22, 2012, 08:52 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

I know guys that have UTG sights and they get the job down. Not a fancy designer name. UTG has opened, or is soon to open a plant in the mid west and well be producing AR accessories here in the USA.

$50 well buy both a front and rear sight. Personally i would buy aluminum UTG set before a plastic set from a more well known brand name.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:09 AM   #3
BillyJack3

What are you mounting them to and are you looking for fixed or folding sights? Would folding work for your application or is this going to be an irons only firearm?
Old November 22, 2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Metal god

I have not used the UTGs but I do have the flip-up Magpul sights and they work great . $70 -$80 tops

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 22, 2012, 11:16 AM   #5
FALPhil

My brother put a UTG fixed rear on a flattop 20 inch AR upper. The crossbolt screw would loosen after about 100 rounds. He took it out, rubbed the bolt threads across some soft lead and re-installed the sight and has not had a problem since. Like was said, it gets the job done.
Old November 22, 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
M1ke10191

Quote:
What are you mounting them to and are you looking for fixed or folding sights? Would folding work for your application or is this going to be an irons only firearm?
I'm looking for fixed sights. I may put a red dot on my AR eventually but for the foreseeable future, it will be irons-only. I definitely want a fixed front sight; I'd prefer a rear fixed as well but I could go with a flip-up if later co-witnessing with a dot would be problematic. I would want a true, not 1/3, co-witness without having to look through the rear sight plus the dot.

Quote:
I have not used the UTGs but I do have the flip-up Magpul sights and they work great. $70-$80 tops.
I have MBUS sights now--they're decent but I don't like the sight picture they give. If they stuck with the traditional front sight I wouldn't want to switch. I just hate the flared out look the front sight gives. Also, I prefer the standard FSB. I would just switch to that but I live in the People's Republic of New York. To do that I would have to pay a smith to take off (and destroy?) my pinned compensator to make the switch.

Would you guys recommend something like a DD instead? I mean best case scenario I would do the above and have a smith toy with my upper to switch the railed gas block to a standard FSB, but it just seems expensive, plus the fact I'm pretty sure I'd be out a compensator.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
M1ke10191

I contradicted myself. Went with a Troy flip rear and a Troy fixed front lol. Only cause of their Black Friday sale. Came to around $130 shipped.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
I contradicted myself. Went with a Troy flip rear and a Troy fixed front lol. Only cause of their Black Friday sale. Came to around $130 shipped.
You made a good choice. The Troy Battlesights are among the best in the business.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
ripnbst

Why were you not even considering Magpul's MBUS?

IMO they are the best bang for the buck out there.

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/ba...drop-test.html

I understand they are folding and not fixed but so what? I ran my AR with MBUS only for two years. They worked just as well for targets ranging from CQB distance to 200 yards open sights.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
Why were you not even considering Magpul's MBUS?
The OP already answered that question.

Quote:
I have MBUS sights now--they're decent but I don't like the sight picture they give.
I agree with him. I own some MBUS sights as well, and the rear aperature sight picture is pretty bad in my opinion. The chunky squarish rear aperature is a far cry from the crisp, round aperature of the Troy Folding Battlesights (which I also own).

Also, I find the MBUS aperatures pretty hard to operate. You have to pry them apart with your fingernail to switch aperature sizes, whereas the Troy's simply click back and forth.