The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Daekar

Pulling FMJ and Replacing with SP/HP

As per title - since it seems that there are actually good reasons based on physics rather than marketing to use expanding bullets, I want to make sure I have a stock of ammo appropriate for hunting deer and bear (the largest game in my area) if the need ever arose.

I read on another forum of a gentleman who takes FMJ bullets from existing rounds and replaces them with bullets appropriate for hunting. This is very attractive to me, because I already have quite a few rounds of surplus 7.62x54r and 8mm Mauser. I wouldn't mind taking the time to pull, replace, and recrimp the modern bullets in place if it would save me a bundle of cash.

My concern is primarily the casings. Will spam-can 7.62x54r cases cope with this operation well? As far as I know they could be brass (they look like dull brass, anyway) because they're non-magnetic, but they could very well be something else.

I don't have any reloading equipment, but he said very little was required for this operation. I'm a reloading dummy with very little knowledge about the practical execution of this kind of process. I have a reloading manual, but that's it. A bullet puller, I suppose... but how do you seat the new bullet at the right height without a press? Confused the dickens out of me.

In case you were wondering, I plan on buying a 91/30 to go with my m44. The m44 will stay stock, but I'm going to modify the 91/30 to make it more practical and accurate (as far as these things go, anyway. You can only do so much). The 91/30 will be a deer rifle if the need arises.

EDIT: I was looking at Cabelas, and they have several simple presses for less than $150. I would save that much in ammo costs in short order relative to buying new hunting ammo, so I don't mind buying a press if it's necessary.

Last edited by Daekar; April 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old April 3, 2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Jim243

Well the short answer is you need a "seating die" to reset the bullet at the correct height (Over All Length) OAL. And something to measure that height (a caliper) which you can get from your local Harbor Freight.

Now having said this there are a few but's. With surplus ammo you do not know what gun powder they used when the round was made, that could be a problem, so you will need to get some "smokeless gun powder" as well. Now you need some way of measuring the amount of gun powder, this is done with a "powder scale" or dipper or powder measure. And of course you will need a set of "dies" in the correct caliber. And of course something to put the die in to reseat the bullet, a "press".

Most of the starter kits will give you most of the equipment you will need to get started, Lee make a few that I would recommend for starts, but then you will find you will want more and better equipment.

That's how it all starts, more and more equipment, then more and more parts, and more and more tools, untill before you know it you have a bench full of reloading equipment and now you have to buy more guns so you can reload more and more cases.

Just my 5 and 1/2 cents.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; April 3, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old April 3, 2011, 12:49 PM   #3
snuffy

Daekar, Yes, no, and maybe is the answer to your question.

Yes IF you are very careful to keep the weight of the replacement bullet the same as the one you're pulling.

No if you try this without using a press of some kind. You'll need one to use a collet type puller, also to re-seat the "modern" expanding bullet. You could use a hammer type kinetic puller, BUT many of the military rounds are heavily crimped, AND have a sealer around the bullet. One trick is to seat the bullet about .010 deeper to break the seal, then pull it. It's still gonna require a bit of work.

Maybe, because pulling a bullet, then replacing it with another ALWAYS results in the neck relaxing a bit making the replacement bullet loose(R) in the neck. That could cause it to slip backwards in the case when being chambered, and result in a poor burn of the powder because of low case neck tension. The fix is to resize the neck in a full length sizer.

Another thing about the 7.62X54R, it uses nominal .313 bullets. The closest you'll find is .312 bullets, so you're really going to have a loose fit in the case neck.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 3, 2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Daekar

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll scratch that idea. Sounds like it would be easier, safer, and more accurate to just shoot the FMJ for kicks at the range and consider a reloading setup for my 8mm Mauser instead, using new components that are a known quantity. More expensive I'm sure, but a darn sight cheaper than having half my face blown off when things don't go as I plan.
Old April 3, 2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

Dear Daekar:

Jim243 hit the nail on the head. Follow his advice. However, he over lookes one thing. You need a method to slug your rifle's bore so that you know what size bullets to use.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old April 3, 2011, 03:56 PM   #6
hooligan1

Actually it would be time well spent if you'd spend some time reading proper reloading manuals! They will instruct you on exactly what you should do, and what you should Never do. Believe you, me, TIME WELL SPENT!!!