The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 4, 1999, 11:45 AM   #1
RickG30

Hello, what is the difference between the 500 and the 590 besides the barrels and mag tubes? The 590 passed the mil-spec test. Did the 500 or was it even tested? What is the difference between the 500USA and the 6-shot 590A1? Do the Mariner's have stainless steel internals? Do the other models have stainless steel internals? Are their any other differences to talk about?
Old April 4, 1999, 01:05 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

As far as I know, you are correct on the differences between the 500 and 590. I suspect the 500 didn't pass evaluation because it was not submitted, not being what was specified. There may be something new (there always is) but, again as far as I know, no Mossberg has stainless steel parts. The Marine model has a pretty tough finish Mossberg calls Marinekote, but the guns are not stainless.
Old April 4, 1999, 04:34 PM   #3
RickG30

Thanks, Jim. The internals in my Mariner are shiney unlike the marinecote but I guess that they are nickel plated too. My 590internals are black.
Any idea how the 500USA and the new 590A1 6-shot compare? Also is the USA reciever drilled for ghost ring sights?

[This message has been edited by RickG30 (edited April 05, 1999).]
Old April 5, 1999, 08:38 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't think I have seen a USA so don't know if it is drilled or not. As for differences, these are all basically the same gun. You don't indicate what you want the gun for. If on a boat or for a beach house, you would want something resistant to corrosion (Mariner type), but then forget anything else. If you are not around salt water, you can get by fine with any model that otherwise suits your needs.

You seem to be looking for a defense gun, so a short barrel and extended mag are good ideas. If you already have a good hunting shotgun with a 5 round capacity, I would look to just getting a short barrel for it rather than buying a new gun. Your choice.

Any suitable shotgun can be drilled for ghost ring sights, which sound more impressive than they are anyway.
Old April 10, 1999, 02:08 PM   #5
Kodiac

I really miss my 590...
I had a Butler Creek folding stock on it and it made a great patrol gun... a sling and a wee little minimag light with a presser switch tail cap made it just the thing for building searches.

Thing was as heavy as an steele EYE-BEAM!

------------------
"There is no Spoon"
Old April 10, 1999, 08:35 PM   #6
RickG30

Kodiac, glad you mentioned heavy. I took a 3-day Randy Cain shotgun course and my 590 felt like it weighed a ton on the last day.
By the way the consensus was that the Mossbergs in the class wouldn't make it thur the whole 3 days. It turned out that they were the only ones that had no problems! I use my Mariner on the boat and have a 500 in cabin.
I'm trying to standardize the sights and accessories with my 590 and 500 house guns.
Rick