The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 6, 2018, 07:24 AM   #1
Mr. Mike

Seeking info on new rifle

Plan on buying my 'last' rifle as I am getting rather old. Decided on the 6.5 Creedmoor and a bolt gun under $1000.00. I have selected 12 rifles I wish to handle before I make my final decision. I am looking for a weight of 6-7 pounds, and will be adding optics. Normal hunting ranges for the north country and target shooting. Partial to wood stocks, but not a deal killer!
Anybody want to offer their choices of rifle using the criteria from above?
Old March 6, 2018, 08:02 AM   #2
jmr40

Does the $1000 include optics?

Most accuracy for the money would be Tikka. The Weatherby Vanguard is a nice rifle, but doesn't make your weight limit. I'm a big fan of the Winchester EW, but I'm not sure street price will be under $1000. It'll be close. They still don't show it available in 6.5 Creedmoor on their website, but announced at Shot Show that it would be. The Winchester Featherweight should be in the $800 range and meets all of your criteria.

I think you'll like the Creedmoor. I have several "nice" rifles, but wanted to test the 6.5 Creedmoor waters with a less expensive rifle. I picked up one of the Ruger Predators for $350 and have come to like the round a lot. My Ruger is as accurate as anything, but I think you want a "nicer" rifle. I may get something a little nicer later and my personal pick would be the Tikka in that cartridge.

Winston Churchill
Old March 6, 2018, 08:16 AM   #3
taylorce1

I'm going to guess the $1000 is just for the rifle. Tikka T3x and Kimber 84M Hunter in synthetic stock rifle, a Winchester M70 FWT for a wood stocked rifle. The Tikka and Kimber will come in well under 7 lbs with optics. The Winchester will come in about 7.5-8 lbs depending on optics chosen, and they brought back the Stainless version for 2018 as well!

I'd also recommend the Tikka T3x Hunter in a 6.5X55 Swede for a wood stocked rifle if you would consider it. Tikka doesn't list the 6.5 Creedmoor in that configuration, but there is really no real world difference for hunting between the two cartridges. The main issue will be ammunition availability, with the Swede you'll have to reload or get most of your ammunition online or at gun shops that carry it.
Old March 8, 2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Mr. Mike

Thanks for the input. Four names have risen to the top of the pile. Sauer 100 xt, Kimber Mod. 84, Tikka T3x, and the Bergara B-14 series. I am sure one of these will be left for final pick but I will have to find a place, or places, who have a model of each in place for me to compare.
Old March 8, 2018, 08:00 PM   #5
taylorce1

Bergara B14 rifles are nice, but they'll be around 7.5 lbs without a scope. That makes it a little heavy for what you are wanting. The Sauer 100xt just didn't balance in my hands the way I'd like when I handled one at Sportsman's Warehouse. If you have a Sportsman's Warehouse nearby it'll have all four rifles for you to handle.
Old March 9, 2018, 05:16 AM   #6
std7mag

The Bergara was nice, but was a little hefty for your criteria.

I like the original Tikka T3 Lite. Haven't handled the new T3X.
Wendyj just got one in the Creed and has posted some nice cloverleaf groups with it.

I really like the handling of Kimbers Hunter. I was looking at one in 257 Roberts.

All of this is really subjective though as it is up to you to pick the one that feels best for you.
Old March 15, 2018, 06:32 AM   #7
Mr. Mike

Thanks for all the input. Finally got to a place where I could handle 'most' of the rifles in the short list. Selected the Bergara 'Hunter', liked the synthetic stock (a first) and will live with the slightly heavier weight. But, thanks again for all your ideas.
Old February 1, 2020, 07:23 AM   #8
Nathan

Mr. Mike.....

How is it a year later in your opinion?
Old February 1, 2020, 03:28 PM   #9
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Mr. Mike.....

How is it a year later in your opinion?
You mean "2 years later"?
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine