The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2018, 08:05 PM   #1
WVsig

Valkyrie Commander in 9mm Range Report

So I just got back from the range. The gun shot well. It was smooth and accurate. I shot a total of about 300 rounds through it. I ran 50 rounds down the pipe and then stripped it down and re-lubed it. I shot another 100 rounds or so and repeated. The gun is not as tight as say a Les Baer but still wanted to let it break in with plenty of lube. The bushing it surprisingly not very tight. It is hand turnable. There was no need to bring a bushing wrench. It did not seem to effect accuracy but it was still surprising. I remember my CBOB to be much tighter when new. The safety continues to be tight but I am sure it will work itself out.

The gun ran well except it fail to feed twice on a reload from slide lock. I believe both times it was me not the pistol. It did not bobble at all except for those 2 reloads. I think I was riding the slide a bit with my weak hand. I shot at 7, 10 and 15 yards. The sights shot to POA to POI, maybe a little high but I did not shoot it off a rest so it could have been me. I was happy with the accuracy within the 15 yard range. At 7 yards I could shoot a mag into a single cloverleaf shaped hole at a 1 second a round pace give or take. It is certainly more accurate than I am or than I need it to be. Mostly I just shot for function. I did run 3 rounds of "The Test" and it shot about the same as I shoot The Test with my 75B. Maybe a little slower but not by much. My fastest time was 6.8 second +2 second penalty for 2 in the 8, so my time was 8.8 seconds. I shot a clean target in the 8.5 seconds. I did have a crappy run when I dropped 3 shots in the 8, and shot 8.3 so failed with a 11.3. I did not score it using Ken's point system but I would have done better in Kens more forgiving system. I really need to work on shooting clean targets vs shooting fast but dropping shots outside the "grapefruit". There is always the subconscious need to stomp on the gas pedal vs just shoot it clean under 10.

The recoil is minimal. Its 9mm in a commander frame so I did not except it to have much movement. It is an alum frame so it is lighter than say the 75B or BHP but not so much that you notice it in the hand. On the belt it would make a difference. I really noticed how light it was compared to the Shadow 2 I also brought. This and the different sight picture probably added some time to The Test. The Shadow 2 is by far the fastest gun I own on The Test because it simply does not move. I don't carry a Shadow 2 because of its size and weight so it sort of cheating. The 75B at this point is a little faster than the DW Valkyrie but with a little more trigger time that might change.

The Duty finish looks great and should hold up well. Holstered and unholstered from Kydek a few time and it showed no wear. One thing that sort of ticks me off is that the Duty Treat finish will show splotches with some CLPs like the one from Breakfree. Of course that is what is currently on the bench so I had to hunt around to find a bottle of Miltec-1 which came with a Sig some time ago. Miltec-1 is a DW Duty Finish approved CLP/oil. I ordered some FP-10 which will be used exclusively for this gun. Seems to be a bit of a a hassle to maintain what is supposed to be such a durable finish but oh well.

Overall it is a nice 1911 in 9mm. I ran it with the factory mags and 4 Tripp Cobra 10R-9mm RGs in black. The all feed fine. No issues. Tripps of course don't fit flush but give you an extra round. I am honestly not sure I like it better than my CGW 75B but it is a stellar gun. For the $$ it is an amazing deal. These Valkyries MSRP is $2012 and they sold for $1,500-$1,600 NIB before they were discontinued. At $1,250 they area steal. They would hav been a good value at the $1,500 range but I cannot think of another high quality 1911 in 9mm in the $1,200 range that meets this build quality and feature set.

I need to send a few more rounds down the pipe and then shoot a box or 2 of Gold Dots out of it and then it will be ready for carry duty if I choose to use it in that roll.
Old March 19, 2018, 10:38 PM   #2
KyJim

Congratulations! I picked up a Valkyrie Commander in .45 a while back. I love the way it is set up and it's a good shooter. The only change I would even think of doing is maybe installing a Novak gold bead front sight but I'm satisfied now with the factory sight. A great gun at a great price, considering the quality parts and craftsmanship.
Old March 19, 2018, 10:43 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

I wanted one of these so bad, but just couldn't swing the $1,299. Great price but couldn't pull it off.
Old March 19, 2018, 10:48 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
One thing that sort of ticks me off is that the Duty Treat finish will show splotches with some CLPs like the one from Breakfree. Of course that is what is currently on the bench so I had to hunt around to find a bottle of Miltec-1 which came with a Sig some time ago. Miltec-1 is a DW Duty Finish approved CLP/oil. I ordered some FP-10 which will be used exclusively for this gun. Seems to be a bit of a a hassle to maintain what is supposed to be such a durable finish but oh well.
Well the splotches are just the oil on the finish correct? It's not that the finish isn't durable, it just looks different under certain oils.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 19, 2018, 11:42 PM   #5
KyJim

The BreakFree brand of CLP has been known to cause some graying or splotchiness of Dan Wesson's Duty Finish. Dan Wesson's manager has said in another forum: "Also, Beware of gun cleaners such as CLP that is not polymer safe. Though our Duty finish is not Polymer these 'gun scrubbers' will damage the look of our Duty finish." DW officially recommends FP-10 but Militec-1, Kroil, and many other oils are okay.
Old March 20, 2018, 07:21 AM   #6
JDBerg

Good Report, IMHO, it’s tough to beat a Dan Wesson product as a general rule of thumb! I think the Duty Coat finish on my DW Valor might be different from the Duty Treat finish on that Valkyrie but I’m not sure about that. You’re on the right track with using Militec-1 and FP-10, I’ve used both on the Valor with excellent results, I’m very pleased with both products. My DW Valor is the best firearm I own!
Old March 20, 2018, 08:31 AM   #7
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
Good Report, IMHO, it’s tough to beat a Dan Wesson product as a general rule of thumb! I think the Duty Coat finish on my DW Valor might be different from the Duty Treat finish on that Valkyrie but I’m not sure about that. You’re on the right track with using Militec-1 and FP-10, I’ve used both on the Valor with excellent results, I’m very pleased with both products. My DW Valor is the best firearm I own!
All current Dan Wessons with the Duty Treatment have the same finish. They did use different finish at one time for their black pistols but that was 5+ years ago.

Here is what DW says:

The Duty finish is the most durable finish on the market, however harsh cleaners will discolor it. The protection will still be there but you could cause streaking. There are literally hundreds of cleaners and oils on the market and more being produced every day. There is no way for us to test everything and that is why we only recommend a few that we know will work and work well. It is very important to stay away from strippers and degreasers. Generally, if it is safe for polymers and Painted pieces it will not discolor the Duty Treat, these are usually oil based cleaners.

We recommend, FP-10 , Miltec-1 and TW25b grease for the rails. These are the only products we recommend to grease the rails.

Kroil will work as a cleaner and bench rest shooters have used it for years. You may have to let it soak as it is penetrating oil. We recommend FP-10 as a kind of a do all, lubricant, cleaner and surface protectant. Any light gun oil should work as a surface protectant as well.

Don’t get overly concerned with having the gun spotless. Generally a good wipe down and maybe a little scrubbing with a toothbrush and cotton swab every 500 rounds is all that is really needed. Keep the rails and barrel hood good and wet and the gun should treat you just fine.

http://danwessonfirearms.com/support/faq/

Also Keith at DW has on multiple occasions said not to use Safariland "Breakfree CLP". There are many reports of people ending up with streaked pistols after using it.
Old March 20, 2018, 08:38 AM   #8
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Well the splotches are just the oil on the finish correct? It's not that the finish isn't durable, it just looks different under certain oils.
The splotches, clouding and color change will be permanent but you are correct that the protection of the Duty finish will still be present. It is my understanding that some of the CLP and cleaning chemicals will draw the oils out of the finish causing the clouding.
Old March 20, 2018, 12:22 PM   #9
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSig:
They did use different finish at one time for their black pistols but that was 5+ years ago
My Valor is the old version, it has the old Novak style sights, I like the Heinie straight eight sights they put in the newer versions better. And I wish my Valor was stainless rather than the Black Duty Coat, but I bought mine used as is. And it’s still my best firearm!

Last edited by JDBerg; March 20, 2018 at 01:53 PM.