The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2022, 04:51 AM   #1
JJ45

Need Advice;spares for XDe

I really like my XDe 3.8, 9mm "hammer gun"

It's light and very flat although it has a high bore axis. Can be carried cocked and locked or DA with hammer down on a chambered round. The safety also doubles as a de-cocker.

Springfield discontinued it after a relatively short run and I'm going to call them to try to order a guide rod spring, aka recoil spring, as a spare. This spring supposedly decreases the effort to rack the slide by 25 to 30% and that does seem right. I don't know how this "improvement" effects the longevity of the spring.

I have only just short of 1000 rounds through the pistol so far and am wondering what other spares I should try to get such as those that might be prone to fail after a lot of shooting....Thanks for any advice.
Old August 9, 2022, 09:21 AM   #2
gc70

Buying an extra recoil spring assembly now would probably be a good idea if you plan to shoot your XD-E a lot. I believe Springfield recommends replacing the recoil spring assembly every 5,000 rounds.

The XD-E is hammer-fired, with the hammer cocked when the slide opens and the recoil spring pulls the slide forward to chamber a round. Its recoil spring assembly does not need to be as heavy as the recoil spring of a striker-fired gun, which pulls the slide forward to chamber a round, but also cocks the striker as the slide closes.

Spring field says the following about the reduced force needed to rack the XD-E slide.

Quote:
The XD-E takes advantage of its hammer fired action, allowing the gun to be racked and charged with ease.

The XD-E features a Low-Effort-Slide that requires 27 percent less effort to cycle the slide when compared to leading striker-fired pistols in its category.
Old August 9, 2022, 09:52 AM   #3
gwpercle

How about spare Magazines and a Magazine Spring .

After my Dad gave me a WWII era Walther P-38 I purchased a "Replacement Spring Kit" from Wolff's Gunsprings ... it contained all the springs needed to replace the old WWII era factory springs with new ones ... it even had a new magazine spring .
Keeping a Spring Kit on hand might be good .
Wolff has Springfield XD Spring Kits and magazine springs ... check out their site
www.gunsprings.com
Gary
Old August 9, 2022, 10:16 AM   #4
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
How about spare Magazines and a Magazine Spring .

After my Dad gave me a WWII era Walther P-38 I purchased a "Replacement Spring Kit" from Wolff's Gunsprings ... it contained all the springs needed to replace the old WWII era factory springs with new ones ... it even had a new magazine spring .
Keeping a Spring Kit on hand might be good .
Wolff has Springfield XD Spring Kits and magazine springs ... check out their site
www.gunsprings.com
Gary
Thats a good idea. XD-S magazines are interchangeable with the XD-E
Old August 9, 2022, 10:46 AM   #5
JJ45

I just thought of this and although it is a bit off topic.

The 1911 platform has been around for well over 100 years and nobody will ever have to worry about parts, probably in several more lifetimes ...even if all the various makes and models available today went out of production tomorrow.
Old August 9, 2022, 10:55 AM   #6
JJ45

I just got off the phone with Springfield and the nice girl at CS told me that there will always be parts available for any of the XD line, since they all have a lifetime warranty!

"always" sounds a bit much but I guess I'll just trust that for now.
Old August 9, 2022, 01:02 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'd believe them. Any OEM part I've ever needed from them they had available. IMO, you're in good hands.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting