The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 5, 2022, 07:51 AM   #1
BarryLee

Georgia: Constitutional Carry Legislation

Georgia Governor Brain Kemp will announce his support for a Constitutional carry Bill in Georgia. Currently a Weapons License is required to carry a handgun. Of course, our Friends at Moms Demand Action are concerned that dropping the licensing requirement will allow criminals to carry. I wonder if she has watched the news recently.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/kem...uns-in-georgia
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 5, 2022, 08:15 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Shall we go ahead and screech "BLOOD IN THE STREETS" now? Or do we have to wait for MDA to start the chant?
Old January 5, 2022, 02:02 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

When did they stop chanting that??
Old January 5, 2022, 02:10 PM   #4
Paul B.

I'm finding this interesting. Seems that in the last few years more states are going and have gone to constitutional carry gun laws. I know Arizona did so a couple of years back but when my CCW permit expired I decided to renew anyway. I travel to several states that have constitutional carry but apparently reserve that right to state residents only. That means if I want to carry, I'd best have a permit from my home state. At least the states I do go to honor my permit.
It might be interesting to see a list of which states with constitutional carry laws allow that for anyone of state residents only?
Paul B.
Old January 5, 2022, 05:39 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Of course, our Friends at Moms Demand Action are concerned that dropping the licensing requirement will allow criminals to carry.
They're welcome to provide data for when that has EVER happened. Spoiler: it hasn't. The experiment has already been a success in several other states.

It's nice to see Kemp supporting this. It was a campaign promise of his, and there's been some groundwork laid for it over the last decade.
Old January 5, 2022, 06:35 PM   #6
DaleA

I'm in the Twin Cities, Minnesota and when our legislature was discussing becoming a 'shall issue' CCW state the anti-gun legislators donned a huge blue explosive ordinance vest with the high collar and everything to speak against the bill, because, you know, bullets were going to be flying everywhere if this legislation passed.

Well the legislation passed. This was years ago.

Today we don't exactly have 'blood running in the streets' but we DO have a LOT of shootings and record and near record homicide rates.

But guess what? It's not the CCW folk that are doing the shooting and killing.

https://www.axios.com/local/twin-cit...polis-violence

https://minnesotareformer.com/2021/1...-away-with-it/
Old January 6, 2022, 08:57 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
When did they stop chanting that??
Touche'
Old January 6, 2022, 10:12 AM   #8
eflyguy

I simply cannot fathom how intelligent people believe relaxing laws for law-abiding citizens will suddenly result in a spike in criminal activity.
Old January 6, 2022, 06:51 PM   #9
BarryLee

Quote:
I simply cannot fathom how intelligent people believe relaxing laws for law-abiding citizens will suddenly result in a spike in criminal activity.
Intelligent people on both sides know it is not true, but sadly, they both rely on the "useful idiots".
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 12, 2022, 07:33 AM   #10
BarryLee

The House and Senate have both passed versions of this Bill. I'm not sure if they call it "Reconciliation" but either way they have to agree on one final Bill to send to the Governor. Governor Kemp has agreed to sign the Bill, so "fingers crossed" this may happen this year.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2022...tutional-carry
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; March 12, 2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old April 2, 2022, 09:40 AM   #11
BarryLee

OK, the Legislature has finally agreed on a Bill and have sent it to the Governor for his signature. The Governor has agreed to sign the Bill when it is complete, so it seems like a done deal.

Obviously, the opponents are screaming about an increase in gun violence which makes one wonder if they ever watch the Atlanta News. An increase in violent crime has been happening for a while now. Most of these acts are almost certainly committed by those who are breaking the law by even possessing a gun.

There is however an argument against the law that while I don't agree with it, I do understand their logic. The idea that Police can no longer easily tell who is not legally allowed to have a gun. They say that certain things may not show up on a background check done from a patrol car and the LEO will have no way of knowing whether a specific person can have a gun. Again, I sort of understand the argument as it might apply to criminal cases that have not been finalized, domestic violence issues, restraining orders, mental health issues, etc. What say you?

Sadly, like much of America Georgia is being overrun by people that support more and more regulation, so now may have been the last time to pass meaningful firearms reform laws.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/geo...gun-rights-win
- Milton Friedman
Old April 2, 2022, 11:00 AM   #12
eflyguy

As mentioned by Paul above, I'm more interested in which states will honor this.

A 15min drive and a few bucks is little inconvenience compared to the legal storm you might face on a road trip.

I've not seen this addressed anywhere - but then again, I haven't gone looking.
Old April 2, 2022, 11:37 AM   #13
zoomie

Quote:
I'm more interested in which states will honor this.
Honor what? There's nothing to honor. You'll simply have to follow the laws of the state(s) you travel through. If they also have constitutional carry for non-residents, then you're as legal as you are at home. Looks like ND limits theirs to residents; others do not.

Disclaimer: Not a source document: https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/...rry_States.pdf

I'll still maintain a permit because permitless carry doesn't quite cover my travels. Maybe one day.
Old April 2, 2022, 01:05 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy
As mentioned by Paul above, I'm more interested in which states will honor this.
Honor what?

Permitless carry is, by definition and in fact, carry without a permit. No other state can "honor" something that doesn't exist. There are now something like 24 (I think, at last count) states that have permitless carry. So in those states, Georgia residents can carry without a permit -- not because the other states in any way "honor" Georgia's permitless carry law, but because their own laws don't require a permit.

For states that don't have permitless carry, we still have to rely on reciprocity, or unilateral recognition of other states' permits. Does anyone know if the final version of the Georgia law will continue permits as an option for people who want to have a permit for purposes of interstate reciprocity?

In response to the earlier question about which states reserve permitless carry for their own residents only, here's a link to the summary as maintained by Gary Slider at www.handgunlaw.us:

https://handgunlaw.us/documents/Perm...rry_States.pdf
Jeepaholic
Old April 3, 2022, 05:28 AM   #15
BarryLee

Yes, unless they made some weird last minute change people who wish can still obtain a Georgia Weapons License. I plan to keep mine current for interstate travel and to eliminate the need for a background check when purchasing a firearm.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 8, 2022, 11:15 AM   #16
Porsche911

I am keeping my Georgia Weapons Carry if the Governor every signs the bill. I drive to neighboring states several times a year.
Old April 8, 2022, 03:32 PM   #17
jmr40

Quote:
I am keeping my Georgia Weapons Carry if the Governor every signs the bill. I drive to neighboring states several times a year.
I certainly hope this remains an option. I'm not opposed to constitutional carry. But the permit I have now expires in October and I travel often in states that recognize my permit. While I won't need it for GA, I want to be able to carry in other states.

Winston Churchill
Old April 8, 2022, 05:01 PM   #18
eflyguy

Suggest you start looking for an appointment now. They only go so far out but it took me months to book one, checking pretty regularly. It appeared they were all booked every time a new block was released.

Might be different in your county.
Old April 12, 2022, 06:12 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Governor Kemp signed the bill into law today.
Old April 12, 2022, 06:37 PM   #20
zoomie

I love these lines here:
Quote:
"This legislation will potentially allow individuals with a criminal history who purchase a gun through a private sale to legally carry a hidden, loaded weapon in our communities," said state Rep. Kimberly Alexander, D-Hiram.
Let's see... if that criminal history is a felony... yep, still illegal. And Ms. Alexander seems to think the old law kept criminals from carrying.
Old April 13, 2022, 03:37 AM   #21
BarryLee

Overall, I expect this to be a positive for the Governor in the upcoming race against Ms. Abrams. However, regrettably, I fear a growing number of Georgians pay little attention to facts and get their news from social media. So, even though the opponents of this Bill are the same who oppose law enforcement and are more sympathetic to criminals than law abiding citizens I hope that voters are smart enough to see the truth here. Either way an overall win for the lovers of personal freedom.
- Milton Friedman