The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 16, 2022, 12:08 PM   #51
Rob228

Quote:
It means mine goes up in value constantly and significantly. Having the police seize my $600 AR as evidence (after a shooting) would suck. Having them seize my (oh I dunno probably) $11,000 smg would be heart breaking. It lives in a safe
I can't recall who said it, but it always stuck with me. "Don't carry anything you wouldn't want getting kicked across a parking lot by a cop".
Old July 16, 2022, 01:10 PM   #52
Black Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228 View Post
I can't recall who said it, but it always stuck with me. "Don't carry anything you wouldn't want getting kicked across a parking lot by a cop".
That's awesome! I'm gonna remember that saying
Old July 16, 2022, 02:46 PM   #53
Bill DeShivs

In my younger days, I sold jewelry. It was common to have quite a bit of expensive merchandise with me, and if you are selling to individuals you have to advertise that fact. After a couple of instances of being followed in my car, I realized I was the perfect target on a lonely road. While I carried a handgun, I wanted something that would be more suitable if someone was attempting to run me off of the road.

I bought an "Enforcer" pistol (M-1 carbine pistol.) I figured 30 rounds of carbine should be about the maximum pistol I could get, at the time. While I am no longer in exactly that business, I still have it. It's fun to shoot. BTW- NEVER shoot a .30 carbine pistol in a car-unless you have to!
Old July 17, 2022, 05:28 PM   #54
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228 View Post

I think that’s a good point.

I would also point out that if you do end up using a firearm in self defense the loss of that firearm may be relatively cheap compared to the legal costs (a lot of this depends on the state) or the emotional and personal toll that goes along with it. I don’t carry expensive pistols these days (at least from my perspective) but when I did I figured if I used them I had bigger issues on my plate than losing them after the fact. Put another way, I spend hundreds to thousands of dollars year after year on insurance that I generally don’t use fully on the off chance something might happen to me. At least with a firearm you get to shoot it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 18, 2022, 03:20 PM   #55
Drm50

I’m not going to carry 2nd rate gun for SD. Makes me think why this country is in such a mess. If it saves my life I’ll hold it for cop to kick a field goal with. Reminds me of skit where murders have old guy jacked up in an alley. Old dude has wallet full of money out offering murders $50 to leave him alone. Fear not , if SHF nature cleans out the gene pool.
Having said that we have guys toting very expensive guns for SD. Expensive don’t mean good for the task.
Old July 18, 2022, 05:18 PM   #56
44 AMP
Staff

Although the OP did mention select fire pistols, he put the thread in the semi auto handguns forum, so I would consider the select fire/SMG guns to be off topic.

What I believe he was asking about are the semi auto (only) versions of the Uzi, Mac and Tec 9 guns, which are legally semi auto pistols.

I've had personal experience with the Mac style and the Tec 9 and other than magazine capacity (a dubious advantage) they are inferior to regular handguns in the same calibers.

They are large, heavy, awkward, poorly balanced have generally inferior trigger pulls and sights that are virtually unusable with the gun held at arms length, compared to regular duty class pistols.

That being said, they are not pointless, provided you recognize the enjoyment of shooting them is their point.
Old July 18, 2022, 07:05 PM   #57
rodfac

Tunnel Rat: "I would also point out that if you do end up using a firearm in self defense the loss of that firearm may be relatively cheap compared to the legal costs (a lot of this depends on the state) or the emotional and personal toll that goes along with it."

Absolutely...and well said. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 18, 2022, 07:16 PM   #58
Hawg

Any practical use no. Fun to play with yes.
Old July 21, 2022, 07:15 PM   #59
Scorch

Insights? Just what I picked up in the USMC back in the 80s. SMGs have been dropped from the military's arsenal and replaced with the M-16/M-16A1/M-16A2/M4/etc family of weapons. The primary advantage of the SMG was high rate of fire in assault/CQB situateions, and the M-16/M4 family can handle that at least as well as a SMG. People want to argue about size and how compact an Uzi or Mac 9 or HK MP5 or M3 is, and yes they are more compact but heavy, and not so easy to master, and about worthless at more than 100 yds. Add in ammo supply and parts availability logistics and maintenance in real combat situations, give me the same thing everybody else is carrying.

But hey, they're cool! As long as you don't have to pay for ammo.
Old July 23, 2022, 04:18 AM   #60
TruthTellers

A couple years ago I had an interest in the vz. 61 Skorpion in .32 ACP, it's along the lines of a Tec 9 or Mac 10 and I thought about what use these semi auto versions of machine pistols had and couldn't think of any other than "it's cool."

It's not the 1980s anymore, we have more than just 1911's, Browning HP's, and Beretta 92's available to us that can use 30 round mags and don't require having to search high and low at gun shows to get said 30 round mags.

I remember watching something about the wrestler who slapped John Stossel after getting fired later turned into a bounty hunter and his preferred gun while working was the Tec-9. I understand at the time that was the gun for maximizing firepower, but compared to what we have today it's terrible.

If they were full auto they might have some use, but I question the validity of a full auto pistol. I can understand something like the Vz 61 for tank crews or the Mac 10 for drivers, but for conceal carry or home defense? Just so many better options that would cost less and work better.
Old July 23, 2022, 07:02 AM   #61
Nathan

To me, those guns are great historical items, but guns like the MP5 clones, scorpion, Sig MCS?? or B&T stuff seem more ergonomic, more suppressor ready and more controllable in rapid fire.

My money will probably go towards these.

Last edited by Nathan; July 23, 2022 at 07:30 AM.
Old July 23, 2022, 04:51 PM   #62
Electrod47

Original Question: "in your opinion, are guns like the uzi, mac series, and tech 9s pointless these days?"

Back in the day, there weren't many options for high capacity stow away kinda rigs in Pistol caliber. Except heavy for size military rigs, Sterling etc.( I'm not forgetting the Browning High-Power.)

These guns kinda caught everybody's imagination and were mostly inexpensive
( except the Uzi).
Today you got plastic pistols that can carry 17 rounds in a normal package w/30 rounders available etc. Polymer seems to have outlasted stamped metal. Who knew?
Curiosity pieces are never pointless.

Last edited by Electrod47; July 25, 2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old July 24, 2022, 04:41 PM   #63
Metric

No doubt they are great fun.

But at this particular point in time, I'm trying to increase my ammo reserve, not blow through it.
Old July 24, 2022, 05:28 PM   #64
highpower3006

I have a few civilianized sub gun clones (Uzi, MAC10, a MP5 clone and a CZ Scorpion). I bought them just because I like the way they look and never once had a thought that they were going to be my ultimate self defense weapon. I also have a couple of SBR rifles and quite honestly if I felt that I needed to bail out the back door and take on an intruder, I would ten times rather use my AR15 SBR with the suppressor over any 9mm semi auto sub gun clone.

They are fun to shoot though, and I love pulling them out and blasting away. The Uzi and MAC10 get tons of attention at the range. I have been impressed with the long range accuracy of the CZ Scorpion and the AP5 using a RDS.

I think too many people have the mindset that every gun they have just has to fit into some kind of defense role, instead of having some guns just because you want to have a bit of fun shooting them.
Old July 24, 2022, 07:15 PM   #65
Sharkbite

Quote:
take on an intruder, I would ten times rather use my AR15 SBR with the suppressor over any 9mm semi auto sub gun clone.
And thats exactly why you dont see many (if any) Tac teams rolling with SMG’s of any type Anymore. Anything that can be done with a SMG, can be done better with a SBR.

I have a 300 black out SBR that will outshine ANY SMG out there.
Old July 25, 2022, 08:38 AM   #66
ammo.crafter

hmmmmm

It's akin to letting a door-to-door salesman getting his foot in your door.
Old July 25, 2022, 01:51 PM   #67
Alan0354

Well I can think of a few reasons to own those:
1) I can tell people I own one.
2) It looks mean!!
3) Show off to people!!

Honestly, for self defense, I don't see any reason.
Old July 25, 2022, 05:31 PM   #68
CUBAN REDNECK

I've shot all three, with the Uzi and the Mac being in full-auto. The TEC-9 is basically garbage. I would take the Uzi and Mac any day of the week. If I had the money I'd get a $200 tax stamp and $10-20K plus and buy the Uzi and a Mac. The Uzi and Mac are easy to manipulate, shoot, conceal, and carry. The open bolt on both the Uzi and the Mac are not an issue, IMHO.

Tags
pistols , semi automatics , sub machine guns