The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these is you?
Cheap gun, nice phone 1 1.03%
Nice gun, cheap phone 23 23.71%
Nice gun, nice phone 52 53.61%
cheap gun, cheap phone 8 8.25%
Gun but no phone 7 7.22%
Phone but no gun 5 5.15%
No gun and no phone 1 1.03%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 13, 2021, 01:08 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Which is you? carry gun vs phone

Since carry guns and phones can be more or less in the same price category, I thought it would be fun to ask which of the categories in the poll describes you?

If you want to mention age group that might be helpful too. I would speculate that younger folks care more about electronics and older folks about the firearm, but who knows.

I am in my early 50s, cheap phone (<$100 Motorola) and customized Glock gun (around $1300)

No guidelines on cheap vs expensive because that is different for everybody depending on income bracket etc. So by cheap or nice I mean to you.

Basically do you care more about quality in carry guns or in phones?

Last edited by Pistoler0; June 13, 2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old June 13, 2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Pistoler0

By the way the reason why I posted this thread is that I started another one asking whether or not to use a firearm if a maimed animal is found on the side of the road:
Use of firearm: maimed animal on side of the road

and most of you are thoughtfully suggestingg to call animal control or 911. And I just thought: "holly cow that's true, I also got a phone! "

Last edited by Pistoler0; June 13, 2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old June 13, 2021, 01:30 PM   #3
jar

Not sure how you would rate quality in either category.

Expensive does not mean better.

And I can't quite get my mind to even consider spending a thousand dollars on either a phone or handgun.

I am slightly south of 80 but love technology (usually have about 8 or 9 computers running 24/7) and my watch would make Dick Tracy envious that his Wrist Radio was so limited and useless.

I sometimes carry my phone when out and about because it makes a great way to cover the outline of the pistol in my pocket but calls and text messages would be handled with my watch.
Old June 13, 2021, 02:37 PM   #4
mk70ss

IPhone 10 Max and Beretta Model 84 (warmer, no coat weather) or Beretta 92X Elite (cooler, jacket weather).
Old June 13, 2021, 05:29 PM   #5
Mike38

WalMart LG phone <$100 ... and a KelTec P32 carry gun. The phone, I'd call cheap. The pistol, inexpensive, not necessarily cheap.
Old June 13, 2021, 06:12 PM   #6
FITASC

I phone and SIG 365 or HK P7
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 13, 2021, 06:57 PM   #7
Hawg

Galaxy 7 and a S&W 637. I leave the phone in the car when I go inside.
Old June 13, 2021, 07:14 PM   #8
eflyguy

My phone is way more expensive than my (carry) pistol, but that's not because I cheaped out. I'd have been happy to pay much more for it. I can't help they are such good value!
Old June 13, 2021, 07:41 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

I like a nice phone, however I try to cheap out where I can. I use my phone until its having major issues, either due the battery not charging, or the software not updating anymore and not being supported. I try to wait until a new phone comes out and buy the last model s its usually discounted.

For carry guns, I have good reliable guns, P365, G19. Granted they cost less than my phone but they are great options.
Old June 13, 2021, 09:29 PM   #10
Double K

1400. S&W 1911sc e vs. BLU r9 250. I have not had a cell phone plan....ever, always buy my own phone and go month to month, customer service seems to be much better when your not obligated to pay them. I pay 70. a month for unlimited everything with two phone numbers/sim cards in the same phone, business line and personal.
Old June 13, 2021, 09:56 PM   #11
kenny53

Samsung phone and M&P carry gun.
Old June 13, 2021, 10:01 PM   #12
Moonglum

My gun is a Glock19 my phone is an android from Walmart Walmart Family Mobile.
Old June 13, 2021, 10:08 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Neither my phone or my carry gun are anything special. I wouldn't say they're cheap, I'd say they're functional.
Old June 13, 2021, 10:54 PM   #14
GarandTd

I have a Motorola Moto Z3 ~ $400
Remington RM380 ~ $130
Yup, I'm the cheap gun, nice phone guy.
Old June 13, 2021, 11:20 PM   #15
BourbonCowboy

Samsung Galaxy S10 and HK VP9SK.
Old June 14, 2021, 12:42 AM   #16
Carmady

CM9 or LCP; no phone.
Old June 14, 2021, 01:36 AM   #17
artoo

Taurus G2S and no phone.
Old June 14, 2021, 02:00 AM   #18
Carl the Floor Walker

Beretta Pico for EDC, cheap refurbished S7 for phone. Since driving and talking/Text messaging on a phone while driving is a pet peeve of mine and one of the most dangerous things I think is possible to do, I do not use the phone much. I pay $35.00 a month for full unlimited service. The next phone, I will again pay cash, low cost phone.
The chances of needing the firearm are very slim to none, the chances of needing a phone for emergency services much greater. And even a cheap phone can call 911. The Pico is high quality low cost, but totally reliable. Monthly maintenance like any firearm, (ammo) is very expensive. And I spend a lot on ammo, the Pico is fun to shoot, I find the phone to be nothing but a boring nuisance and nothing fun about it. I see so many people distracted every where using a phone which is contrary to situational awareness.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 14, 2021 at 02:12 AM.
Old June 14, 2021, 06:05 AM   #19
darkgael

IPhone 10X. Glock 36 or Beretta Tomcat.
I use my phone constantly - for communication, for scheduling, for Internet access, for music, for shopping, and more. This post was edited on my phone.
My guns....fortunately, I have never had to use them for anything other than practice.

Last edited by darkgael; June 14, 2021 at 06:11 AM.
Old June 14, 2021, 08:30 AM   #20
Moonglum

I actually use my phone more for an MP3 player than I do a phone.
Old June 14, 2021, 09:06 AM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
Since carry guns and phones can be more or less in the same price category, I thought it would be fun to ask which of the categories in the poll describes you?

If you want to mention age group that might be helpful too. I would speculate that younger folks care more about electronics and older folks about the firearm, but who knows.

I am in my early 50s, cheap phone (<$100 Motorola) and customized Glock gun (around $1300)

No guidelines on cheap vs expensive because that is different for everybody depending on income bracket etc. So by cheap or nice I mean to you.

Basically do you care more about quality in carry guns or in phones?
Would rather have a good gun, than a good phone.

Phone is a work provided Samsung android thing that's pretty old. If I didn't need Google Authenticator for a couple things, I could get by just fine with a flip phone. If and when I need to get my own, I'll likely go with a Trac Phone or some other low dollar android phone. The things most people like to do with their phones, mostly I think should be done an a laptop.

Carry gun, I've moved past the nasty cheap grade (Jennings et al) long ago, move past the mostly functional cheap (kel tec, Charter Arms) more recently, am currently into the "good qualtity & value for dollar" tier (XDS, S&W J, LCR). That's where I'm liable to stay.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; June 14, 2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old June 14, 2021, 09:16 AM   #22
GarandTd

I find the poll choices to be misleading. My gun is cheap, but "nice" in my opinion, and my phone is nice to me and cost more than my gun, but doesn't even come close to what some Apple products cost.
Old June 14, 2021, 09:45 AM   #23
ghbucky

I rely on my phone for work stuff, and my employer pays for my cell/data service. I also rely on it for internet service if I am on the road or have a home outage, so I don't go discount for it. I have an iPhone 11 (I had to look up the model).

For a carry gun, I guess whether it is 'nice' is probably a debatable point. I like my Springfield XDS, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that think it is a crappy gun and wouldn't touch it.
Old June 14, 2021, 11:46 AM   #24
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
I like a nice phone, however I try to cheap out where I can. I use my phone until its having major issues, either due the battery not charging, or the software not updating anymore and not being supported. I try to wait until a new phone comes out and buy the last model s its usually discounted.

For carry guns, I have good reliable guns, P365, G19. Granted they cost less than my phone but they are great options.
That's the way I am, use the phone until it is no longer serviceable.

And the upside is.... I can forget it anywhere, and nobody steals it, I can always find it at whatever store or restaurant I left it at!
Old June 14, 2021, 11:50 AM   #25
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
I find the poll choices to be misleading. My gun is cheap, but "nice" in my opinion, and my phone is nice to me and cost more than my gun, but doesn't even come close to what some Apple products cost.
Yeah I should have thought out the categories in the poll a little better. I thought about editing it later but I cannot find a way to edit a poll once it is posted.