The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 31, 2021, 04:55 AM   #1
Brit

Best ever 4 shot group at 50 Yards.

My wife and I entered the USA, intending to stay for 6 months, a vacation. From Canada. In 2004. Living with my Son. This fell through, we actually went through the full immigration process, 3 years for me, 5 for my wife. We are now USA citizens. Once I obtained a Green card, I purchased a Glock 17 4th gen in 9mm.

Entering my first IPSC match with this pistol, in Jacksonville FL Shooting factory ammunition. The start position was hands relaxed at sides, facing 3 standard IPSC targets, at 7 yards. Draw and engage these targets, two rounds on each to score. Then move to cover, and engage a target at 50 yards, that was only showing a 6" band from top to bottom, both sides painted out.

As this 6" only area to count, I fired 4 rounds (2 to count) the young chap patching the targets, called me down to him, standing by this 50-yard target!
4 hits were in the A zone 12 inches below what we call the head area.
2 were touching, one was one inch away, one 3 inches away, all scoring rounds, but of course, only two could count!

His comment "I could not do that with a rifle!" My reply "Neither could I"
That was standing two hands. I was 69 years of age, now 85.
The best group I had ever fired. Fired lots of rounds through that G17, but I carry a G19.
Old May 31, 2021, 06:25 AM   #2
darkgael

Great when that happens.
Old May 31, 2021, 03:55 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Moving to handguns.
Old May 31, 2021, 04:57 PM   #4
Nanuk

I was trying out loads for my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 and hit 2 clay pigeons on the bank @ 50 yards out of 3 shots. I figured that was good enough.

Nice shooting though Brit.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 31, 2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

When you're hot -- you're hot.

Many years ago I "built" ("assembled" is the more appropriate term) a 1911 pistol. It was assembled on a Caspian receiver, with all the other parts from a kit I bought from The Sportsmans Guide company (which I subsequently deduced that the SGC probably sourced from Sarco and marked up appropriately).

When it was done, I took it to the range to test. The range owner knew what was up, because I had the receiver transferred through him as FFL. So I told him I was going to try the new project for the first time, and I asked if he wanted to see how (or if) it worked.

Knowing that I had never "built" a gun before, he said, "No thanks. Let us know what happens."

So I went downstairs to the range, put a target on the hanger and ran it out to 25 feet. I don't remember for certain which target I used, but I think it was probably a standard NRA 25-yard bullseye target. The black is 5-1/2" and the X ring is 1-3/4". I loaded up, crossed my fingers (and then uncrossed them), took a sight and fired one shot. Looked at the target to see where it hit. Didn't see anything. Oh, oh ...

The paper for that target is 21" wide and 24" high. I couldn't imagine that the gun was so far off that I could miss that large a target at 25 feet. So I reeled the target in to take a closer look.

My shot had cut the X.

I knew I could never hope to duplicate that, so I pulled that target and replaced it, and went on to shoot a group that was more akin to my usual shotgun pattern.

I saved that first target for years. Dunno what happened to it. I didn't intentionally throw it out, but it may have been tossed by accident.
Jeepaholic
Old June 1, 2021, 06:14 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Best/ luckiest shots I ever made were first, a headshot on a coyote at a little over 60yds with my S&W model 39. Second was a running shot at a fox with my Remington pump 30-06, hit him in the neck, paced off at 273 yds. Didn’t even ruin the hide, but I did have to wait for over an hour for all the fleas to vacate before picking him up and carrying him out. Still worth the $60.00 I got for him.
Old June 2, 2021, 04:21 PM   #7
Rob228

When you aren't thinking about shooting, you shoot great.
Old June 3, 2021, 09:50 PM   #8
rodfac

Nice shooting, Brit....Best Regards, Rod (turned 75 last Saturday).
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 5, 2021, 09:13 PM   #9
FireForged

I dont train at 50 yards with a handgun. If lawful self defense actually demands that I take a shot at 50 yards, I will figure it out. I used to train out to 33 yards with a handgun but over the past 15-20 years I have been training at Contact, 3 yards, 10 yards and 20 yards. Thats it
Old June 6, 2021, 05:15 AM   #10
Brit

When I started my Training Company in Ontario Canada in 1980, I researched the distances of Police shootings, that had been documented by the FBI. (Shootings by Security Officers were as scarce as hen's teeth) mostly close quarters was the rule of the day, around 7 yards!

My leased range was a wartime bunker, shooting benches to rear concrete wall 25 yards. I decided the longest shooter to target was going to be 15 yards. Shortest for the last two rounds, under 6 ft!
As the Police and Security at that time were armed with six shot S&W Revolvers I purchased 10 of those firearms.

As most ranges of the indoor type used cumbersome wooden structures to attach targets to, this was too much trouble to set up and take down. I used single strand wire, attached to hooks set into the walls. Takedown real easy at the completion of the class. The targets were attached via S hooks set into the "Head portion" of the Target, unlike the Police target, headshots counted, 5 points.

The test was based on the rounds carried, by both Police and Security just 18. Six in the revolver, and two speed loaders. To make up the test, 20 rounds was the 18 rounds, plus 2, which was loaded from a pocket, knowing which way the adding two rounds, would fire off, knowing the correct rotation of the cylinder was imperative.

I had my own targets made, with scoring units of 5-4 and 2. More than 2 misses a fail, one more reshoot allowed. Less than 90 scored, a fail, one reshoot allowed. How these 20 rounds were fired. All fired in series of two rounds, (Double Taps) 6 rounds at 15 yards, 12 at 7 yards, last two loaded from the pocket, whilst walking forward from 7 yards! All from the holster!

Class size, 8 students, 4 on the line at once, the other 4 walking behind, for safety reasons. And to pick up brass. Safety glasses and ear muffs supplied.
Old June 6, 2021, 09:43 AM   #11
Nanuk

Quote:
I dont train at 50 yards with a handgun. If lawful self defense actually demands that I take a shot at 50 yards, I will figure it out.
It does not work that way.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 9, 2021, 09:33 PM   #12
5whiskey

Quote:
Best/ luckiest shots I ever made were first, a headshot on a coyote at a little over 60yds with my S&W model 39. Second was a running shot at a fox with my Remington pump 30-06, hit him in the neck, paced off at 273 yds. Didn’t even ruin the hide, but I did have to wait for over an hour for all the fleas to vacate before picking him up and carrying him out. Still worth the $60.00 I got for him.
Both of those quite impressive!!! I hit a fox in a dead cross-ways run at 120 yards with a .22. Gut shot as I could hear the tell-tale “thonk” from that distance. I found it. Hit it’s liver and it died probably 30 yards and within 6 minutes from where it was when I shot it. I thought my lucky shot was phenomenal. Yours eats it for dinner!

Back to handgunning. My C&B revolvers are by far the most accurate handguns I own. My cheapest of the cheap brass frame Pietta will hold a fist sized 6 round group at 50 yards most of the time. I can hit a 12” gong with it at 100 yards about half the time. I suspect at 130 I couldn’t hit a barn as I think the ball destabilizes a lot a that point.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 10, 2021, 07:24 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey View Post
Both of those quite impressive!!! I hit a fox in a dead cross-ways run at 120 yards with a .22. Gut shot as I could hear the tell-tale “thonk” from that distance. I found it. Hit it’s liver and it died probably 30 yards and within 6 minutes from where it was when I shot it. I thought my lucky shot was phenomenal. Yours eats it for dinner!

Back to handgunning. My C&B revolvers are by far the most accurate handguns I own. My cheapest of the cheap brass frame Pietta will hold a fist sized 6 round group at 50 yards most of the time. I can hit a 12” gong with it at 100 yards about half the time. I suspect at 130 I couldn’t hit a barn as I think the ball destabilizes a lot a that point.
I’ll take credit for the coyote, although it took two shots, the first just narrowly missing but the second was right on the money. After the first shot it moved out another ten yds or so and then stopped again, which is very odd for a coyote. However the long running shot on the fox was just pure slop luck. This was about 30 years or so ago when I still had my eagle eyes, people would take me hunting as a kid just for my ability to spot game.
Old June 19, 2021, 02:38 PM   #14
Paul105

Here are two targets shot offhand at 50 yds with a Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh 420gr WFNG over 25.0gr H110 (chronoed right at 1,300 fps).

The first target - 5 shots one after the other.

This target was shot over the course of about a month. Every time I went to the range I got out of the truck hung the target and shot one round cold.

I was shooting the 475 a lot back then -- couldn't do it today.

FWIW,

Paul
Old June 19, 2021, 08:57 PM   #15
44caliberkid

The first cowboy match I entered was cap and ball pistol only, which was great because that's the class I was going to shoot. One stage replicated Wild Bill Hickok shooting Dave Tutt across the Springfield, MO. town square, 75 yards. They had a shotgun popper target at that range, which is about 2/3 scale of a real person. With a Uberti 1860 Army, shooting round ball with as much powder as I can squeeze under the ball, I hit the target 3 out of 5 shots. No one else hit it at all. Don't believe C&Bs aren't accurate. You don't want me shooting at you with one.
Old June 21, 2021, 09:11 AM   #16
RickB

I was going to post, "Never heard of a four-shot group, before?", but remembered when a buddy let me shoot his Les Baer .45, and after four shots there was a perfect cloverleaf, dead center, admittedly at only ten yards, and I almost pulled the target, but thought, "Four-shot group?" Sure enough, the fifth shot landed about an inch from the others.
Old July 7, 2021, 09:18 PM   #17
tex45acp

It was a few more than four 10mm from my Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup.