The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 22, 2021, 04:07 PM   #26
RETG

Yes. I live in eastern Idaho and walk my dogs at 3-4AM. No grizzlies in this area, but there are some blacks, and some visitors in the night in the yard

And some during the daytime

And the sudden appearance during a early AM walk when a full bull moose came out from behind a row of trees....

But I do not carry a caliber to kill....just to scare away and it works on lions quite well.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old May 24, 2021, 08:58 AM   #27
Pistoler0

That is an awesome lion photo!
Old May 24, 2021, 10:58 AM   #28
mrt949

A few years ago .A neighbor had 3 hybrid wolves .
Was going to work one morning .
When they were going through the trash .
I was carrying a BERETTA 21 A At the time .
Next day went back to My MP 40C
Told her next time I will Cancel Christmas for her animals .
She had her ELECTRIC FENCE FIXED.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:59 PM   #29
Geezerbiker

It's amazing how warnings like that seem to work... A neighbor had a dog that came up to me barking in a threatening manor in my driveway when I first moved here. Fortunately the owner of the animal was there to stop it. I told him to control his dog or I'd end it. I open packed around the yard for the next few days. The problem went away...

Tony
Old May 24, 2021, 10:35 PM   #30
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
It's amazing how warnings like that seem to work... A neighbor had a dog that came up to me barking in a threatening manor in my driveway when I first moved here. Fortunately the owner of the animal was there to stop it. I told him to control his dog or I'd end it. I open packed around the yard for the next few days. The problem went away...

Tony
I bet you made a wonderful first impression on your neighbors
Old May 25, 2021, 03:50 AM   #31
Carl the Floor Walker

I have been hunting the swamps for years and frequent encounters with bears. Never a problem. I do carry a sidearm, but only for any two legged creatures I might encounter so far back in. Actually my biggest scare is TICKS.

The concern of 4 legged creatures come from my suburban neighborhood. Jerks with vicious dogs.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 25, 2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old May 25, 2021, 07:30 AM   #32
JustJake

When in Alaska, yes.

Last time I was up there, it seemed everyone going into the bush was packing a 10mm of some flavor - Glock 20s mostly, but a couple had the then-new G40 longlside.

Others had 1911s in 10mm. Saw a few big magnum revolvers too.

While not everyone was carrying their weapon in a chest holster, that type of rig seemed to be getting popular. Unlike a hip holster, it doesn't catch every bush or branch going through the woods and boonies.
Old May 25, 2021, 07:30 AM   #33
Targa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
My 144# Bullmastiff is likely the largest 4 legged critter I'm likely to encounter.

How do I consider what to carry for SD?
Of the concealable pistols I own, would I prefer this in hand if I had to defend myself?
Note how location or "anticipated threat" are not factored in that simple question.
Anywhere I'd prefer a 32/380/38 snub in hand to defend myself rather than a Glock 23? No, nope. ... Look how simple that was.
Duke is one handsome critter!!!!
Old May 25, 2021, 12:35 PM   #34
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
Duke is one handsome critter!!!!
Thanks!
He and our GSD are two of the larger 4 legged critters in the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dogs2021.jpg (718.2 KB, 173 views)
Old May 25, 2021, 04:41 PM   #35
Bob Willman

We don't have too many dangerous 4 legged critters in NW Ohio but I will confess to dispatching 1 woodchuck behind my sand pile bullet stop with my Springfield XDs .45 while mowing the lawn.

Bob
WB8NQW
Old May 26, 2021, 06:24 AM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
....What I was just wondering, since we are all from such different areas, is:

- how many of you fellow CCW permit holders have had to give thought to defense from 4-legged threats in your daily carry? Is protection from 4-legged critters even an issue for you?

- And if it is, how important is it? Is it your main concern or a side consideration?

My life is almost 100% urban, so I don't have 4-legged predators to worry about. Only the 2-legged kind. I guess there's always some chance of an incident like the recent one in Houston (was it?) where some guy's tiger got out, but the odds are so remote as to not play a role in my EDC decisions.
Old May 26, 2021, 08:20 AM   #37
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
When in Alaska, yes.

Last time I was up there, it seemed everyone going into the bush was packing a 10mm of some flavor - Glock 20s mostly, but a couple had the then-new G40 longlside.

Others had 1911s in 10mm. Saw a few big magnum revolvers too.

While not everyone was carrying their weapon in a chest holster, that type of rig seemed to be getting popular. Unlike a hip holster, it doesn't catch every bush or branch going through the woods and boonies.
Yeah, I've been thinking about a chest holster too to carry when spending time in the woods. Covered with some sort of zip up rain jacket, as even when I am in the bush I try to conceal.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:07 PM   #38
rodfac

I take a handgun along now on my daily 2-3 mile morning jaunt along our farm road...not for bears, but for a pair of overly aggressive Dobermans a 1/2 mile down the road. I've been 'nibbled' 3x now, not bitten by the pair, but had my hand aggressively 'mouthed'. Owner is sincerely apologetic, loves his dogs, but has no clue as to training. Animal control has been notified as have local county LEO's.

Kids on bikes, young moms pushing prams...old couples doing their daily constitutional...all vulnerable...I'm prepared but the others are not. For me it's a S&W M60 with +P .38's, and long familiarity with the combination's use. Hope to all get out, the owner accepts my advice, and that of the LEO's that have responded.

For fishing in bear country...read the Smokies along the NC/TN border...I carry a S&W M69 stoked with Hornady XTP's or Keith's load. (The gun takes magnums and weighs 38 oz. empty so it's easy on the belt or chest). I've not had to use it along the remote trout streams that I fish, down there, but the gun & bear spray, give me some options in the event of a problem. That area, north of Fontana Lake, is well patrolled by park rangers so there's little chance of a standoff with druggies guarding their patch, but still....

Lastly, back in my 40-50's, I hunted Colorado's high country for elk, and once had to pack out my tag filler near dusk. Dreading the weight/altitude hike, I elected to leave my 35 Whelen Rem M700 in the jeep after the first load. On the way back to the kill site I found fresh bear tracks in the snow along my trail....with no gun, no spray & 100 lbs of meat on my back...what could possibly go wrong...I never saw that bear, but had the cold shakes all the way. (Left the kill lashed up in a couple spruce trees and retrieved it the next am.) That was the LAST time I went without a heavy handgun while hunting there. A chest or tanker type rig would have worked well, I think, with the pack board I was using...

YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; May 27, 2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:14 PM   #39
Sarge

Yes.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:17 AM   #40
peacefulgary

I live in the Piedmont region of NC, about an hour from Charlotte, and the only 4 legged threat I really worry about is some meth-head's Pittbull.
It's been said that we have panthers around here but I've never seen one or know of anyone who has.
We do have black bears in the mountains and out near the coast, but they are not typically aggressive.

When folks visit us from up north we always warn them, the biggest threats you're likely to encounter down here are Fire-ants, Hornets, and Yellow-jackets.
Old May 28, 2021, 01:07 PM   #41
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulgary View Post
I live in the Piedmont region of NC

When folks visit us from up north we always warn them, the biggest threats you're likely to encounter down here are Fire-ants, Hornets, and Yellow-jackets.
ha! Any asian hornets there yet?

You have to use a 44 mag or better for those!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornet.jpg (40.4 KB, 129 views)
Old May 28, 2021, 03:34 PM   #42
ballardw

Thank hornet calls for merging this thread with the Snakeshot one.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=611680
Old May 29, 2021, 09:15 AM   #43
peacefulgary

Quote:
ha! Any asian hornets there yet?

You have to use a 44 mag or better for those!
Nope, I ain't ever seen any that big, yet.

But don't underestimate the smaller ones, they hide in places that are quite unexpected...
Like when you're fishing on the lake and one climbs in to your beer can or your beer bottle (Yellow-Jackets love beer!).
You take a sip and the next think you know, your tongue is swelling and you're have a hard time breathing.

BTW, this happened to me.
Luckily, my reaction to the bee venom was not too quick or too severe.
I carry an epi-pen these days.

Last edited by peacefulgary; May 29, 2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old May 30, 2021, 05:29 PM   #44
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw View Post
Thank hornet calls for merging this thread with the Snakeshot one.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=611680
yea but I dunno about snakeshot, you'd probably need a slug for that thing.

Or at least #00 buckshot.
Old May 30, 2021, 06:19 PM   #45
Cosmodragoon

Yes. People with evil intent or contaminated thinking are always a concern. So are animals. Honestly, aggressive dogs are probably more of a concern where I live. Coyotes and black bears tend to stay away from people. I rarely see them but when I do, quiet observation is usually enjoyable. If you need them to go, shouting usually works.

The issue is if it doesn't. Given the size of black bears I've seen, .40 S&W is probably fine. Solids in .357 Sig or .357 magnum could be better, though a full barrel length would be wise in cases where those calibers are the right choice.

Curiously, most of the animals I've "faced" would probably have fallen to a .380. One was a coyote that snarled a little before deciding to turn tail and run. One was a gray fox with cubs in her den. She barked and stood her ground, but knowing the situation, I backed away and let her be. Another was a foolishly aggressive goose. I say "foolishly" because a boot would have sufficed. It was on a friend's land though and he asked that I back away and give it space.
Old May 31, 2021, 06:44 PM   #46
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
Actually my biggest scare is TICKS.
You're not wrong
Old May 31, 2021, 06:50 PM   #47
Mainah

Quote:
Actually my biggest scare is TICKS.
Me too, I've seen what Lyme can do. A small minority of bears and cougars will hunt you, but that is every single tick's agenda.
Old May 31, 2021, 07:01 PM   #48
Moonglum

You're not wrong either