The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 5, 2014, 02:05 AM   #1
Theohazard

Apex trigger kit for the M&P Shield

I bought an M&P Shield 9mm a few months ago, and while I really like it, the factory trigger leaves something to be desired. The Shield comes with a better trigger than some of the earlier full-sized M&Ps, but it's still a little gritty with a relatively heavy break and a messy reset.

So I bought an Apex Shield Carry Kit for my Shield. This kit replaces the sear, the sear spring, the trigger return spring, the striker block, and the striker block spring.

I highly recommend watching the Apex installation video on YouTube, it's an excellent video that makes it very easy to figure out exactly how to install the kit. The only difficult part is replacing the striker block and spring because you need to remove the rear sight to get to these parts (and it's only difficult if you're like me and you don't have the proper tools).

The rear sight can be a pain to remove if you don't have a vise and a brass punch. In that case, then you'll need to do what I did and use a wood block and a steel punch with duct tape over the end to reduce marring of the sight. This still marred the sight a little bit, but it wasn't bad and I intend to replace the sights with Trijicon HDs anyway.

Overall, it was a pretty easy install. I did it with just a ball-peen hammer, a roll pin punch, an allen wrench (for the rear-sight set screw), a steel punch set, and a wood block. The rear sight removal would have been much easier with a vice and a brass punch, but it still only took me about 45 minutes to do (I did have to have someone to help me hold the slide down while I pounded on the rear sight).

Now that I have the trigger kit installed, the trigger is noticeably better. The take-up is lighter and smoother, the break is a little more crisp and is definitely lighter (I'm guessing it's about 5.5 to 6 lbs. now), and the reset is more pronounced. The reset still isn't as pronounced as -- say -- a stock Glock, but it's definitely better than it was before. The only disappointing thing is that the reset doesn't seem to be any shorter than before, though I can't really be sure because I never actually measured it. I probably should have put some masking tape on the trigger guard to mark where the reset was originally so I could see how much shorter (if any) the Apex kit made it. Oh well.
Old July 6, 2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Wishoot

Thanks for the post.

I'm thinking about upgrading the trigger, but considering I used to carry an LC9, the stock Shield trigger is a vast improvement.

Tags
apex , m&p , s&w , shield , trigger