Stevens 200 5 12.50%
Marlin X7 9 22.50%
Ruger American 12 30.00%
Other (Specify) 14 35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 27, 2013, 12:13 PM   #26
emcon5

Quote:
So from what I am gathering and have previously read but did not jump on (I just wanted to get a gun and get one now so I didn't want to wait to get the Vanguard) is the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 is a great rifle that completely blows out the Ruger, Marlin, and stevens? Sounds good to me I will start saving for one.
Aside from some small details, the Vanguard and the Howa 1500 are essentially the same rifle, they are built in the same factory, and use the same stock and trigger. I doubt they would blow anything out of the water, they are probably a little better (fit & finish. trigger) than the entry level rifles (Ruger American, Savage Axis, Stevens, Remington 770) but I doubt they are any better than the rifles from the other manufacturers in the same price range, Remington 700 SPS. non-Axis Savages, etc.

I may be a little harder to find accessories off the shelf, but this will vary by location. For example, go to your local gun store and try and buy a scope base off the shelf. You will always find Remington 700 and Winchester M70 bases, Weatherby/Howa and even Savage bases may be a little harder. Of course all of them can be ordered online, so this may not be that big of a deal.

Seriously, go to WalMart and see what they have in stock.
Old August 27, 2013, 02:42 PM   #27
ntg

Seal,

FWIW,

The weatherby/howa takes Remington 700 scope bases, and the Marlin X7 takes the same as the Win70. BTW all recent models of X7 come with a one piece base. Ruger= Win70 style also. Stevens, last time I checked they need two rounded bottom bases like the old Savages.

I don't see mounting a scope as an issue.
Old August 27, 2013, 03:37 PM   #28
emcon5

Quote:
I don't see mounting a scope as an issue
Just to be clear, I did not claim it would be. I just said that your local mom and pop gun store may not have bases on the shelf, and you will probably need to order them.

If there is cross compatibility, then that isn't an issue.
Old August 28, 2013, 10:26 AM   #29
Saltydog235

Go on Budsgunshop.com and buy a Savage 10/110 and be done with it if your Budget is $800.00, assuming that it is just for the gun. Then pick the optic of your choice depending on the budget. I typically spend as much on the scope as I do the rifle but there are a ton of good scopes out there in the $400-$800 range to choose from.

X2 on the used route since you can find a quality gun that was last years or previous years flavor of the season at a reduced cost.
Old August 28, 2013, 11:48 AM   #30
wannabe-a-SEAL

Okay. So have decided that if I buy new I will go for the Weatherby Vanguard S2 but I do like the idea of a used gun if I can find one. For used guns what would you guys suggest? What about the Winchester Model 70 or the Ruger M77 Hawkeye? How much do used Browning A or X bolts generally cost?
Old August 28, 2013, 12:23 PM   #31
jimbob86

If you are picking up an older used gun, from like 1960's or earlier, keep in mind that it probably has a stock with more drop to it than modern guns- it was designed to use the iron sights. Adding a scope (paricularly one of the large belled scopes popular today) may require a comb raising kit to get your eye aligned with scope while retaining a good cheek weld. Simply raising your head up off the stock to get a good sight picture will result in you getting smacked in the cheek when you squeeze the trigger ..... and that's more conducive to flinching than good accuracy.
Old August 28, 2013, 12:27 PM   #32
kilimanjaro

You can get a very nice sportered Enfield, Springfield, or Mauser in 308 or 30-06, with scope, for $400 or less at a pawnshop. They are better quality than any new rifle made today, in my opinion.
Old August 28, 2013, 02:05 PM   #33
ripnbst

Get the Savage 11 Hog Hunter if you don't like the Remington 700.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...s.cgi?i=720925

Throw a scope on it and you are at your $800 and have everything including the scope and bases and rings. This rifle will last your lifetime, guaranteed.

If you dont like either of those I cant recommend the Winchester Model 70 enough. The current production rifles are astounding.
Old August 28, 2013, 06:06 PM   #34
emcon5

I am partial to the Remington 700, but in reality, once you get above the bare-bones entry level offerings from each manufacturer, we are really talking Coke vs Pepsi.

A Remington 700, Winchester M70, Savage 11, Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500, Ruger M77, are all comparable, and honestly, choosing one over another is a personal decision. Which one fits you better, which one do you, completely subjectively, prefer.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:30 PM   #35
Legionnaire

Given your revised price range, I'd look for a used Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 or .270. I picked up an early 1990s unfired .30-06 complete with Redfield 3-9X scope two or three years ago for $450. Prices are up since then, but you should still be able to get a good rifle/scope combo in the $600 range.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:21 PM   #36
taylorce1

Here you go these rifles fit in your budget easily.

Rifles without scopes:

T/C Venture Blued .30-06
T/C Venture Blued .308

T/C Venture SS .30-06
T/C Venture SS .308

I really do believe for a budget hunting rifle the Ventures are hard to beat. I had one in .270 for a while, some of the ergonomics on it I didn't care for and I already had a .270 I liked better. Sold it to a buddy who was looking for a big game rifle. Easily shot under an inch if I did my part. Plus they leave a lot of room for excellent quality optics and a good set of Weaver style rings.

With Scopes:

Savage Trophy Hunter XP 111
Savage Trophy Hunter XP 11

Savage Trophy Hunter XP 110
Savage Trophy Hunter XP 10

Savage Trophy Hunter XP 116
Savage Trophy Hunter XP 16

This is easily the best combination package going right now. Most combo's you get a scope that is just passable at best. While I'm not the biggest fan of the Nikon Prostaff it is a very usable scope with a lifetime warranty, and you can be shooting instead of looking for a scope right away. Much better than the "blister pack" Bushnell or Simmons rifle scopes usually offered.

I'm a fan for looking for a used rifle as well. Here is a bunch of Transfer Agents in the Springfield OR area. I'm assuming you are close by Springfield since that is the only Cabela's in OR at the moment. They can help you get any of the firearms I listed from Bud's or if you buy one off of the many auction websites.

Good Luck!!!
Old August 29, 2013, 10:00 AM   #37
wannabe-a-SEAL

I'm a fan for looking for a used rifle as well. Here is a bunch of Transfer Agents in the Springfield OR area. I'm assuming you are close by Springfield since that is the only Cabela's in OR at the moment. They can help you get any of the firearms I listed from Bud's or if you buy one off of the many auction websites.

I am not really close, I am actually about two hours away
Old August 29, 2013, 02:48 PM   #38
emcon5

Quote:
I am not really close, I am actually about two hours away
Put your zip code in the same page and find one near you.

Did you check out your local Wal Mart yet?
Old August 30, 2013, 12:15 AM   #39
wannabe-a-SEAL

Yeah there are two Cabelas that are both about two hours away. They will be building one that should be done by summer of 2014 that will be about 20-30 minutes away. I have been very busy so no, I have not checked walmart yet.
Old August 30, 2013, 09:25 AM   #40
emcon5

So that puts you in the Portland Area. A quick Google search for "Portland OR used guns" finds some likely places to search:

http://www.keithssporting.com/used-inventory/

http://tigardpawn4more.com/

http://www.discountgunsales.com/long-guns.html

And of course there is always this:
http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/...ag=bolt-action