The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 22, 2002, 03:21 AM   #1
tonerguy

Your feedback please.

I have a catalog on CD. I also have a way to view it directly on the internet. I want to see if it is viable, useful, etc.

The delivery method is called FlipAlbum. There is a free browser to download at http://www.flipviewer.com/download/fv/
I'd like to know how long it takes you to download it and what kind of connection speed you have. That would be useful. I think it goes pretty quick even with a dial up link.

After downloading the free viewer please go to http://www.fliplibrary.com/ and enter the keyword "Tucker" or keyword "holster" to bring up my Flipbook on Tucker Holsters.

The Flipbook will only work on PC's, not on MAC's, sorry. The Flipbook turns pages back and forth at your command, does an auto flip, a slide show and much more.

I would love your feedback. I can't tell you how many hours of work went into this project. Now I need to know what you think, please.

If you don't want to watch a commercial, don't look at it. It is a promotional piece. I am sincere in wanting any feedback you have to offer.
Old April 23, 2002, 07:45 PM   #2
tonerguy

Did anyone check it out?

Did anyone check it out? I would appreciate some opinions.
Old April 24, 2002, 06:28 PM   #3
Courier

I waited until I got to work to try it with a faster connection, DSL versus my dial up from home. I downloaded the browser, unzipped it and installed it on my desktop, then I typed holster for my keyword from the URL you gave. I then clicked on the hyperlink that came up for your catalog, and I chose to open it there instead of downloading the catalog onto my pc.

That's where the problem was, when I chose to open it, nothing happened. I don't know if I should have tried it the other way or not, but I couldn't get it to start. Seems like a neat idea though, so I will try it again tomorrow when I get to work. I thought I had done everything correct, but I wasn't thinking to clearly, I had thrown my knee out the night before and I was in crushing pain all day at work, so it's very possible I messed up a step. I will let you know tomorrow what happens after I try again.
Old April 24, 2002, 06:30 PM   #4
Courier

One more thing

I forgot to say that the download was quick for the browser, it took 41 seconds with DSL if I remember right, no more than that.
Old April 24, 2002, 07:33 PM   #5
tonerguy

".....I then clicked on the hyperlink that came up for your catalog, and I chose to open it there instead of downloading the catalog onto my pc.

That's where the problem was, when I chose to open it, nothing happened. I don't know if I should have tried it the other way or not, but I couldn't get it to start."

Using Explorer 6.0 I don't get asked to choose between downloading to disk or just to view it. I can only view it.

Sounds like you did all the steps right.

I think I've learned two things from this experiment: 1. The CD is great, but probably not the internet download. 2. I'm better off re-doing the catalog in Adobe Acrobat pdf. format. It's fast and universal.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Old April 25, 2002, 01:12 PM   #6
Courier

I agree with you, I think that you probably would come out ahead by using Adobe pdf format. It seems like a real good idea though.
Old April 26, 2002, 02:44 PM   #7
braindead0

Bear in mind that this method of delivery is useless to people worried about security, running Linux and possibly mac as well. If you're going to put something on the Net it should be accessible using HTML only for the widest possible usability.

Just my thoughts.
Old April 26, 2002, 03:12 PM   #8
fix

Quote:
using HTML only for the widest possible usability
PDF is just as universal. I agree, that's what you should go with.
Old April 29, 2002, 07:18 PM   #9
tonerguy

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. Pdf it will be.