The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 27, 2015, 06:54 AM   #1
Sweden

8-gauge muzzleloading shotgun Loads

Hello there black powder experts! I just bought this 8-gauge shotgun, but iam having trubble finding how much blackpowder/lead shot to use. Does any one of you own a 8-gauge that could help me or know how much to put in the gun?
Thank you and greetings from Sweden!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (106.9 KB, 69 views)
Old August 27, 2015, 08:05 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Have you googled 8 gauge BP shotgun loading data? I have to believe that there wold be something out there.

I can't help you with the 8 gauge. I once owned an original percussion 4 gauge "market gun". It was a beauty but I was never man enough to give it a try . . . and I'm not ashamed to admit that! I don't think my shoulder could have taken it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 27, 2015, 08:18 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

This is one link that may give you some of what you are looking for . . .

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...0-8-Gauge-Load

You might also do a search on this particular site (castboolit) as there may be more threads with info on 8 gauge

Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 27, 2015, 09:58 PM   #4
B.L.E.

Just because it's an 8 gauge it doesn't mean you have to put 1/8 pound of shot down the bore. I have a single barrel 8 gauge and it throws beautiful patterns shooting 1-1/8 ounce of shot with about 90 grains FFg. Yes, that's a "12 gauge" load but like I said, you don't have to put 2 ounces of shot down the bore.
But if you just have to have the full 8 gauge experience, I would go with 2 ounces of shot and an equal volume of FFg. My brother insisted on the full 8 gauge experience and he cut his lip as the recoil pushed his thumb into his face. That was enough for him.

The proper amount of shot is more determined by the weight of the gun than the bore. I like to use a 1:100 ratio as a rule of thumb for the maximum load that can be shot comfortably in a trap shooting situation, i.e, shooting 100 times in a row or all day.
The 1:100 rule of thumb means if the gun weighs 100 ounces, you can comfortably shoot 1 ounce of shot. If the gun weighs 200 ounces, you can comfortably shoot 2 ounces of shot. 200 ounces is 12.5 pounds. (5.7kg for the people in Sweden).
Since my 8 gauge weighs around 7.5 pounds, (120 ounces), it's best shot with 1.2 ounce loads.
For hunting, where you mostly carry the gun and only shoot a few times, you can load heavier than 1/100 the weight of the gun.
Old August 28, 2015, 01:58 PM   #5
Sweden

Thanks for all your help. Im going to the range tomorrow to try the Gun out.
Ill start low and work up to 2 oz.
Thanks again for all your help!