The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 6, 2013, 08:47 PM   #1
EdInk

Do You Wear Blaze Orange

How many you guys wear an article of orange clothing when hunting?
Old February 6, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's required during firearms seasons in NY, so yes, I do. I would wear it during gun season even if it wasn't required, kind of like a seat belt. I've had enough animals at arms length (and closer even) to know that they couldn't care less what color the blob is as long as it doesn't move or smell funny.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:02 PM   #3
shredder4286

Same in Colorado during rifle season. I agree 100% with Brian. If it's not moving and doesn't smell weird, it could be a hot pink pole dancer and a deer wouldn't think twice.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:06 PM   #4
SPEMack618

I wear it when mandated by the state during deer season and if my sister is up and about when I leave for a duck expedition, usually I wear it then too.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Babyfacenelson

When its legally required, yes. But my "hunting vest" is half blaze orange and half camo, so i am wearing the "legal" amount of blaze orange anytime i go out.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:42 PM   #6
reynolds357

I wear it when required by law.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:22 PM   #7

You're required to in Alabama when hunting deer in gun season. I don't when bow, turkey or dove hunting. If you're in bow range of the target, and can't tell that it is a human, not a deer, you should really not be hunting. I hunt on my own private land, so no one should see me when I'm hunting anyway.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:59 PM   #8
BIGR

Since it is required I generally wear an orange cap on our deer lease. If I am hunting public land I wear an orange vest and hat.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:04 AM   #9
Ben Towe

When required by law. I don't really like buy hundreds of dollars worth of camo clothes and then covering it up with a $3 orange vest, though.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:44 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Required by law. ...So, I wear it.

Plus, I'd rather be visible, than dead.

During certain hunts, in certain areas, there are very few people in the area (and few hike in as far as we do). And, I've never seen a game warden where I hunt Elk. It would be easy to ditch the orange. But, I still follow the law.

Quote:
When required by law. I don't really like buy hundreds of dollars worth of camo clothes and then covering it up with a $3 orange vest, though.
So, buy a better vest, or don't spend so much on camo.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:07 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

It's the law during deer season and I comply. In Kentucky we are required to wear and orange vest and hat.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Pilot

It is also required in my current state of residence. In fact a certain sq. in. amount is required. I guess in the area where I deer hunted last time, the game officials didn't have enough to do as I was stopped twice in the same day to check my license. The second time, I was done hunting, had unloaded my rifle and was walking back to my cabin with my orange hat off. I still had a long orange jacket, and orange gloves on yet was chastised by the game commission officer for not wearing my hat and not having enough sq. in. of orange on. I explained I was NOT hunting, that I was travelling back to my domicile with my rifle unloaded, slung over my arm. He said it did'nt matter, that I could be written up anyway. He let me go with a verbal warning, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:03 AM   #13
shortwave

Since I live in the middle of the woods(all posted,private property) and have run trespassing slob hunters off, literally within feet of our yard boundary, hunter orange is worn during firearm season hunting or not.

If I'm out and about in the yard or woods, carrying a gun or not, I've got a hunter orange hooded jacket that just becomes normal wear.

Too, having had several close calls , again caused by trespassing slob hunters hunting squirrels with a .22 , while I have been sitting in tree stands during our deer bow season in which I was totally camo'd out, I'm considering wearing orange during our bow season as well.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:42 AM   #14
hooligan1

We all wear Orange during deer season, usually not during turkey season. I do like to wear a blaze vest or at least a blaze orange hat when bird hunting.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:58 AM   #15
twobit

Decades ago (40+ years) I used to hunt in an area where you literally had to pack out your kill on your back at least a mile to the first access road. I used the frame from an open framed backpack and, after field dressing the deer, would carry it out lashed to the pack frame. I always covered the deer with my orange coat and put an orange hat or rag on the deer's head. I had this weird fear of someone shooting at the carcass as I had it strapped to my back. Must have worked because I'm still here

I always wear some orange if there is a chance of any other hunters in the area I am in.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:04 AM   #16
Hunter Customs

When calling coyotes I'm in full camo.

When deer hunting during gun season orange hat, vest, and sometimes depending on how cold it is a orange hoodie.

If I'm out on a horse during gun season I also make sure to have my orange clothing on, even though I'm not hunting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 7, 2013, 09:08 AM   #17
kraigwy

It's required by law here, but if it wasn't required I'd still wear it.

You can spot orange a long ways. Since no critters I know of wear orange, hunters would assume it was another hunter.

When hunting horse back, my horses look like Christmas trees. I carry a seperat vest plus a roll of orange tape for any game I may be packing.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 7, 2013, 10:27 AM   #18
GeauxTide

Always wear it on the move or in an open stand.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:36 AM   #19
chewie146

Quote:
You can spot orange a long ways. Since no critters I know of wear orange, hunters would assume it was another hunter.

Seriously, though. I wear it when I'm hunting denser areas, but not when I'm out in the small-game seasons or bird seasons. I also don't wear it during bow season.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:36 AM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Orange outerwear while hunting is not my preferred color of choice. But everyone else has it on so why not blend in.

P.S. Nice pix there chewie146. "I like it!!"
Old February 7, 2013, 01:45 PM   #21
Saltydog235

It is required here in SC on state lands though not many people follow it. I normally don't wear it going into my stand in the AM or coming out in the PM because it is dark. During the daytime, I wear it when walking in or out just as a precaution. On the club we have to tag in and out of our stands as well as sign in. The stands are spaced so that you really cannot see or encounter someone going in to yours unless they aren't supposed to be there. Doesn't matter to me, I want it on.

I never do any walking during deer season in the woods without having the BO on, just foolish not to if you ask me. When I take my favorite hunting partner with me, he looks like a traffic cone I have so much on him. Heck my dogs wear BO vest in the field, wouldn't want to shoot my GSP's at all, reminds me I need to get a couple of new ones.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:11 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Only when required by law... I am usually in the pieces of woods where the lazy slob hunters wouldn't see me sneakin' around anyway...

I prefer to hunt the blocks so dang nasty and thick that only the hunter shy critters can be found there...

If I haven't shimmied across a downed tree to cross a creek or waded a few creeks nipples deep than I am too close to the slob lazy reckless sorts...

Now fetchin' a dead hundred pound hog out of there... That is when i second guess my plans...

Brent
Old February 7, 2013, 02:25 PM   #23
SPEMack618

Oh, forgot to add, my dog has a blaze orange bandana that e wears perpetually during gun season as well.

And an orange doggie life vest for those cold, cold morning hunts.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:34 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It is also required in my current state of residence. In fact a certain sq. in. amount is required. I guess in the area where I deer hunted last time, the game officials didn't have enough to do as I was stopped twice in the same day to check my license. The second time, I was done hunting, had unloaded my rifle and was walking back to my cabin with my orange hat off. I still had a long orange jacket, and orange gloves on yet was chastised by the game commission officer for not wearing my hat and not having enough sq. in. of orange on. I explained I was NOT hunting, that I was travelling back to my domicile with my rifle unloaded, slung over my arm. He said it did'nt matter, that I could be written up anyway. He let me go with a verbal warning, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.
Utah's blaze orange laws follow that same concept - that it doesn't matter if you're hunting, or not.

In fact, anyone in the area, during blaze-orange-required hunting seasons (and in legal hunting areas) is required to wear it. Very few non-hunters comply, and the wardens leave them alone. But, the letter of the law says it IS required.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:37 PM   #25
papadude

I dont hunt during our shotgun season, just bow and early muzzle loader. I spend that time trapping my property and I always wear blaze orange while I'm trapping just for saftey. You never know when a trespasser might start shooting away.