The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1
TheBigO

7 Differnt .45 acp vs Bullet proof vest.

Hey guys-

Last week I went out and tested 7 different .45acp self defense rounds against an old bullet proof vest that I got from a buddy that had it during Desert Storm. As you would figure it was able to stop all of the rounds. I have attached a video of it on you tube with results. I will say that I was most impressed with how hard the Hydra Shok rounds hit-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JghPfvf2WDc

Thanks

TheBigO
Old January 5, 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Moby

Remember, the round may not penetrate. But it would break ribs.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 5, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3
kayakersteve

Nice

Just watched and subscribed. Would have loved to see federals HST 230 grain tested as well.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:49 PM   #4
TheBigO

Thanks Steve- It is appreciated- I just got done watching some kayak rolling on your channel. I think that I would flip over and go into panic mode!
Old January 6, 2013, 02:52 AM   #5
chris in va

Kayaking...

On a side note I was on a group run down the Lower Gauley a few years ago. We pulled over for some lunch and I was surprised to see one paddler had a 357 tucked under his deck in a homemade rig.

I now carry a Kahr on my river runs. Sometimes you run across individuals not so enthused about paddling through their back yards.
Old January 6, 2013, 03:06 AM   #6
silvermane_1

remember "big and slow" only works on un-armored threats.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old January 6, 2013, 04:52 AM   #7
Rainbow Demon

Quote:
Remember, the round may not penetrate. But it would break ribs.
Better a couple of broken ribs, and even a bruised lung, than a deep bloody hole in your chest.

I have heard of a man's heart being stopped by a 12 ga slug that was stopped by a vest.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:28 PM   #8
outlawzrider83

shoot it with a flat nose 357 mag or a 308 if its armored ..thats my philosify...oh and chris were not enthused by paddlers in our back yards when their direspectful...just like all groups theirs good and bad...not everyone that rides a harley is a hells angel. but most rafters around here are disrespectful of our residents and fishermen, think they own the river and even yell slurs at people when they pass...incest hillbillys stuff like that...they [QUOTE]smoke weed and drink the whole time their on the river, but if one of us residents is caught drinking a beer while were fishing all hell breaks loose with park service.. so by that were pretty sick of tourons and park service.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:37 AM   #9
TheBigO

Even with the rounds not going through there is no doubt that it would have slowed down a BG- I would say that it would take a person out of the fight long enough for you to disengage if that was an option
Old January 7, 2013, 01:17 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not convincing.

First off, Winchester White Box is not really a "target" ammo in the sense that most of us would consider target ammo. It's not a "light" load, and it's not extra-super-specially consistent round to round so it's not what a bullseye competitor would choose to shoot for the national championship. Winchester calls it "target" because it's a FMJ bullet so it isn't a "personal defense" round. It's actually about the same, ballistically, as the original military issue ammo for the M1911, so I think he mischaracterized that round.

And for most of the hollow points he criticizes them for not expanding, but he wasn't shooting into gelatin he was shooting at cloth and Kevlar. Hollow points expand as a result of hydrostatic pressure. Shoot a dry medium and there's no fluid to resist compression, so nothing to generate expansion.

As to the Remington "Gold (sic) Saber" 230-grain +P+, I don't think so. I don't think Remington's 230-grain Golden Saber is even +P, and I seriously doubt they offer a +P+ version.

All in all, a slick presentation that mostly shows a guy who doesn't have all the facts.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:08 AM   #11
TheBigO

Aguila- Thanks for the comments- In response I offer the following-

As far as Winchester white box- by "target" ammo i was talking about the fact that if you were going to carry a weapon for use in a defensive situation you most likely would not load it with Winchester white box- therefore you would be using it for target shooting due to its price and availability.

Hollow points not expanding- I have never shot any into a Kevlar vest, and did not know how the projectile would act. I know, and state, that the expansion of the projectile would be less however did not expect them to be as little as they were. It was merely an observation.

And gold saber +P- I gave the wrong weight of the bullet- they are 185 +P
here is a link

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...85gr-p-hp-ammo

Last edited by TheBigO; January 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Grizz12

try shooting it with a .22 or .22mag
Old January 7, 2013, 12:51 PM   #13
sgn100391

There was an incident during the Tyler, TX shooting where a CCW/ firearms instructor tried to shoot Arroyo, the BG who was wearing body armor, with his 45acp several times on the back. The BG turned around and killed him.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:37 PM   #14
g.willikers

But if memory serves, the guy stopped trying to kill people and ran off.
So, those rounds hitting his armor must have changed his attitude.

Last edited by g.willikers; January 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO
As far as Winchester white box- by "target" ammo i was talking about the fact that if you were going to carry a weapon for use in a defensive situation you most likely would not load it with Winchester white box- therefore you would be using it for target shooting due to its price and availability.
Winchester White Box is 230-grain ball ammo that generates a muzzle velocity of approximately 820 feet-per-second ... which makes it essentially the exact same ammunition that carried the United States military through two world wars, Korea, Vietnam, and several other regional instances of unpleasantness. No serious target shooter (i.e. bullseye competitor) would use it because (a) it isn't consistent enough from one round to the next, and (b) because it has too much recoil. "Target" ammo generally uses a 185-gr or 200-gr lead semi-wadcutter bullet loaded to well below 800 feet-per-second.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:38 PM   #16
jason_iowa

Ya it cracks me up when people call a 230gr fmj "not a personal defense round"
Old January 8, 2013, 11:33 PM   #17
TheBigO

Aguila-

I will change my wording from here on from "target ammo" to "plinking ammo" or the "cheapest ammo I can find to shoot at paper targets in a noncompetitive setting for the pure sporting enjoyment"

I need to remember that when posting anything on forums that any misstep in wording will quickly be pointed out.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:19 AM   #18
spanishjames

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO
Winchester White Box is 230-grain ball ammo that generates a muzzle velocity of approximately 820 feet-per-second ... which makes it essentially the exact same ammunition that carried the United States military through two world wars, Korea, Vietnam, and several other regional instances of unpleasantness. No serious target shooter (i.e. bullseye competitor) would use it because (a) it isn't consistent enough from one round to the next, and (b) because it has too much recoil. "Target" ammo generally uses a 185-gr or 200-gr lead semi-wadcutter bullet loaded to well below 800 feet-per-second.
I think what he means by target ammo, is ammo used for informal, paper punching shooting, or plinking. Not serious target shooting (i.e. bullseye competition).
Old January 9, 2013, 12:26 AM   #19
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
But if memory serves, the guy stopped trying to kill people and ran off.
Not really. A number of police had shot at him already and failed to stop him. I think he left because the shooting stopped, and he was trying to escape not because he was engaged. This was not a typical mass shooter. He was trying to murder his family.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:22 AM   #20
Cheap 870

What bullet does Federal use in it's Guard Dog?
Forget it I goggled it.

Last edited by Cheap 870; January 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM.