The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

View Poll Results: Which is the BEST 22 Lever Gun?
BL-22 9 18.75%
Marlin 39A 33 68.75%
I don't know how these "poll" things work 6 12.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 10, 2012, 03:35 PM   #26
shamaz

For the doubters here's an article about the Zamak alloy. The receiver covers of the Henry H001 series and Golden Boys are Zamak 5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Andy Wickstrom of Henry subcontractor Henry Wisconsin which produces the receiver covers and bands had this to say about their Zamak alloy:

"First, the metallurgical standard for this metal is Zamak 5. Inside of the Zamak 5 spec we maintain even tighter control of certain elements to further improve physical properties. Second, the metal is cast using the ultimate in high pressure die casting equipment. The power and speed of this process is impressive. The process used to control the quality of the product consists of countless variables that are finely tuned to produce the very best physical and cosmetic properties."

Last edited by shamaz; November 10, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old November 10, 2012, 03:35 PM   #27
jmortimer

^ Correct - PethaW - The receiver cover is plated with "Brasslite" and is removable for engraving. The receiver is steel.
Old November 10, 2012, 05:28 PM   #28
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetahW
You've gotten it bass-ackwards, Microgunner - your prejudicial slant is showing.
After much searching I could find nothing to contradict you.
I did learn that the receivers are made by Wright Products of Rice, Wisconsin (now known as Henry Wusconsin) who specializes in ZAMAK castings among other things.

This is not to say that the inner receivers are ZAMAK, just all that I was able to learn.

Maybe I'll order one and see for myself.
Old November 10, 2012, 07:00 PM   #29
Hawg

Quote:
This is not to say that the inner receivers are ZAMAK, just all that I was able to learn.
The inner receiver on mine is steel.
Old November 11, 2012, 09:04 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

This isn't Great grandpa Bubba's pot metal.

Why are you sure it is steel? Because it is magnetic? I am not sure if Zamak is magnetic or not, but there do seem to be some "Zamak" magnetic clasps available.
Old November 12, 2012, 02:37 PM   #31
Oldbird13

Best lever .22?

I'll throw my 22 cents worth in...I own a 1947 39A which is great to shoot. I also own a new Browning BL-22 and it is not really a fair comparison. Action on the Browning is much smoother AND you can't pinch your finger accidentally
With the Browning like you can most, if not all others. I looked at a Henry and felt there was no comparison to the Browning. I did not want to purchase a new 39a due to quite a bit of concern for Remington's issues. Am hoping to add a Winchester 9422 to the collection someday but getting one for a really good price just ain't gonna happen.
Old November 12, 2012, 05:42 PM   #32
Nick S.

I am liking my new Henry Repeater Golden Boy.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:20 PM   #33
JimDandy

They're also different rifles, straight stock on the Winchester and Henry most likely, with a pistol grip style for the Marlin, same as on their 30-30 levers... If you like a pistol grip rifle stock.. not an actual grip hanging down like on an AR, but the quasi-L shape, like on a Remington BDL, or the Marlin 336 30-30, then you go Marlin on the 22 lever..
Old November 12, 2012, 07:52 PM   #34
johnwilliamson062

Good point Jim Dandy.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:56 PM   #35
Cowboy_mo

Interesting discussion

I voted the 39A because of the one I have owned since 68 or 69. It has a walnut stock and forend and is a bit of a load to lug around all day but it will shoot multiple rounds through the same whole in the hands of a good shooter. No, I'm not claiming to be the good shooter but can put 5 rounds covered by a dime at 50 yds with a decent rest.

Dad had a BL22 for several years. It was a nice rifle but not nearly the shooter the 39A is. The Browning action wasn't nearly as smooth, either.

Never owned a Henry but they do look pretty.