The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2018, 10:45 AM   #1
gdcpony

RIA VR60 Plus 1 any thoughts?

I am looking at getting a general purpose and fun shotty to use with them at the trap range, in the woods, and maybe even in a 3 gun match at some point. I am a Marine and have more than a few AR builds at home making this an attractive one off shotgun for me to try out. I held the standard version at a shop and it felt a bit bulky, but well balanced and fast to shoulder.

My experiences with RIA pieces have all been positive, but also 1911 related only. Meanwhile my shotgun experience is with an H&R UltraSlugger in 20ga that I have killed deer out to 260yds with. I have never owned a smoothbore of my own. My kids have a weird assortment of 20ga pieces from Charles Daly (semi), mossy 500, and a Stevens as well. I can't seem to like them as much though they have been flawless in function.

Aside from having to gear up to load 12ga as well (wish I could find a 20ga version), are there any drawbacks to this gun? All the reviews give I have read seem positive. Has anyone here tried one or heard of any issues with it?

Thanks in advance.

On a side note, the other one I am looking into is the Mossy SA-20. If anyone has thoughts on it too.
Old January 18, 2019, 10:38 PM   #2
Larry Tate

I just wanted to bump this to see if anybody had any info on these. I recently fondled one at a local gun show and am considering picking on up. For the price point, seems like a fun toy. I see they have the VR80 now too but I haven't had the chance to put my hands on one.

From what I've found, they are Turkish made, Imported by RIA. Can anybody confirm this?
Old January 20, 2019, 03:21 PM   #3
bladesmith 1

Had to look it up to see what you were talking about. Maybe for the other games but you'd look a little funny on the trap, skeet, 5-stand, or SCs range. Better you find a O/U, pump, SxS, or standard looking semi-auto. On a different thought, I like to stay with American made guns, but that's just MHO.
Old January 20, 2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Blindstitch

I don't think many here have bought it but if it makes you smile who cares. If I went the route of the Mossberg I think I would go straight for a 930 or 930 jm pro. Of course you probably picked the other model because it's 20 gauge.

Fun guns are suppose to be fun and not always practical.
Old January 21, 2019, 08:53 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

Many trap ranges will not let a shooter use a gun
with a barrel shorter than 26 inches.
Muzzle blast from short barreled guns is much louder than
a 28 inch barreled gun with a Cutts compensator installed!