The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2019, 03:12 AM   #51
epl1007

Glock 19 will do everything if it fits his hands properly
Old January 6, 2019, 07:26 AM   #52
LAH

Don't believe you're overlooking anything & the 686 is just fine.
Old January 7, 2019, 09:10 AM   #53
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322 View Post
That was my first thought too. The original post specifically said "ammo cost needs to be considered," then I see a litany of recommendations for .38 and .357 and now .380, all of which are poor relative values. What?

As soon as requirements include ammo cost, 9mm becomes a runaway winner, especially considering: (1) Modern 9mm JHP is highly effective, and (2) there are a LOT of fine 9mm handguns to consider.

Concealment wasn't a requirement, but reliability was, so I'll repeat my recommendation: The Glock 17/19/19X/45.

BOOM.
9/38/380
In brass case there is about a 7cpr spread among them, which = $3.50 per 50/rds
In steel case there is only about a 5cpr spread, which = $2.50 per 50/rds

If that sort of spread in price is 'make or break', then it wouldn't matter anyway because they likely can't afford to practice regularly, so it's really a wash. Which then brings back around my consideration of starting off with a 22lr revolver, of which even top shelf ammunition costs less than half of entry level brass 9mm.

As a bad guy I would be far more fearful of a 70 year old granny with a 22 that practiced regularly, then a 30 something tuff-guy with a 10mm that shot a box once or twice a year.
Old January 7, 2019, 11:00 AM   #54
Winny

Quote:
but what the heck Berretta 92FS.
That was my first thought as well.

Talk about low maintenance and reliable!

Recoil is nothing, shoots where you aim it, Ammo costs are low, its affordable... Checks all the boxes!
Old January 7, 2019, 02:10 PM   #55
Skans

Stated Criteria:
1. First pistol
2. Target Shooting
3. also for Home Defense.
4. Has experienced shooting handguns
5. low maintenance (most guns made today)
6. Reliable - Most guns over $400 or so
7. Not for carry
8. Moderate recoil; also can presume guy in his 50's+ as he is a father in law
9. $750 limit
10. Highly available inexpensive ammo is important
11. Since this is the semi-auto forum, I will limit to semi-autos.

Here are my recommendations:

1. CZ 75B 9mm in Stainless Steel - $700
2. Used S&W 5906 9mm - $400 - $500
3. CZ 75 SP-01
4. Grand Power K100 9mm $475 (polymer frame)

I chose these because all of these are da/sa with either a safety, hammer drop or both. All use a hammer and not a striker. All can easily be purchased new, except the S&W, as the 5906 is no longer made. All of these will be very rugged, reliable, not easily scratched, serviceable for a long time. I almost added the Beretta 92, but just couldn't because I am not a fan of that gun, but I am sure it would be a decent choice too.
Old January 7, 2019, 02:44 PM   #56
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats Shooter
We tried several guns yesterday. The front runner right now is the s&w Model 60 3" shooting .38's. It will shoot .357's and he and i shot a few of them through it.

Anyway....it looks like it is down to the Ruger 101 and Model 60

I'm late to the party, but I have to ask: Did he try shooting it DA? I'm all for the revolver, but as a SD/HD weapon, I strongly recommend it be practiced in DA.

You said in your OP that your FIL "is looking to get his first pistol to begin target shooting with my mother in law", so if they're like most, they'll generally shoot by just cocking the hammer. The trouble is, in a stressful situation, they'll do as they practice, and cocking the hammer in such a situation is very bad mojo.

If he/she aren't willing/able to make DA shooting their default, I'd recommend something like a striker-fired polymer semi-auto.
Old January 7, 2019, 05:56 PM   #57
TBM900

I thought I had typed LR/WMR above but just noticed I didn't.

Do not discount a revolver in 22 Magnum, barely any recoil, accurate, and plenty lethal. The 3" 6-shot LCRX has a great trigger, is lightweight, accurate, and fun. Even a 4.6" single six is a great package, LR for a cheap range trip, then swap out to the WMR cylinder for protection. Proper WMR is typically 2-3cpr cheaper then even the cheapest brass 9mm.

But I'll still stick with my statement that a PPC is the best first firearm as well as great HD package. Suggest that they go to a rental range that has one and give it a try.